New winter gloves, hands cold already!

Barnoe

Moto Vlogger
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I bought these gloves earlier in the year, but hadnt used them until this week as ive been using my Knox summer gloves

these winter gloves THESE

its not even that cold yet, and they are not that warm?
but reading the reviews people are raving about them.... are they being paid?

they are waterproof, they got well tested yesterday as did my all in one suit.... my boots leaked like a sieve though lol

So new boots needed for winter and a helmet.

This is going to sound a bit daft but ....

I get very cold hands and often have heated grips on if the temp drops below 15 degrees even with good winter gloves my hands would be very cold and pnful beow 10 Degrees and was genuinely worried about having no hand guards on the Streetfighter but my hands have not been cold or at least not as cold without the hand guards

So my theory is that hand guards allow hands to sit in a pocket of cold air

Interesting RedRick. I like counter-intuitive ideas and I think there's plenty in this area that we don't understand.

For me the confusing one is this - I'm on a motorway in the winter at 70+ and feeling pretty cold. Slowing to stop at services, as I decelerate I get notably colder, even though the wind blast is much reduced. What's that about???

OP, my only thought is to remember that sometimes it's not to do with the gloves. If your core starts to cool, your body will reduce blood flow to extremities, so with the best gloves in the world your hands will chill. It's just worth thinking about and checking that it's not your other clothing that's causing the issue.

Airflow over handguards could be very turbulent (un aerodynamic, and changes with speed) so it doesn't surprise me that they could make matters worse, at least at some speeds.

Interesting RedRick. I like counter-intuitive ideas and I think there's plenty in this area that we don't understand.

For me the confusing one is this - I'm on a motorway in the winter at 70+ and feeling pretty cold. Slowing to stop at services, as I decelerate I get notably colder, even though the wind blast is much reduced. What's that about???

OP, my only thought is to remember that sometimes it's not to do with the gloves. If your core starts to cool, your body will reduce blood flow to extremities, so with the best gloves in the world your hands will chill. It's just worth thinking about and checking that it's not your other clothing that's causing the issue.

To add to my theory

A decent pair of winter gloves like the OPs ( my winter gloves are these bad boys https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/241280 ) will be windproof so in theory it should not be the wind blast cooling your hands although i accept any warmth lost through the gloves will be taken by the wind.

so assuming that the gloves are windproof and insulated well what other reason for cold hands can there be other than sitting in a cold pocket of air that just changes slowly cold air for cold air ?

You are correct about other clothing being partly responsible as i notice my hands stay warm longer if i have a heated jacket on

Rukka Nivala gloves, heated grips and hand guards. Lovely!

Whilst there is no street cred attached, I have a set of handlebar muffs. I can use my Knox Handroids all winter with the muffs and heated grips.

Perhaps layering along those lines is the way to go.

Bill

Heated gloves. You won't want to go back to cold hands.

Whilst there is no street cred attached, I have a set of handlebar muffs.

Bill

Same here, my commuter scooter (Tmax) is fitted with Oxford heated grips and some Shad muffs added for winter. Summer gloves all year round and hands are never cold or wet.

I also use a Tucano Urbano Termoscud shytebag......... I have no shame.

Silk gloves (£6) from Decathlon can really help with cold fingers.

Silk...get you :D

I ride with my fingers resting over the brake/clutch, so my finger tips get really cold.
So heated grips are useless :(

maybe i need to change my riding style, but with all the nuggets in Manchester pulling out and trying to kill me, i wouldn't feel safe with fingers wrapped completely around the grips
especially with thick gloves reducing the response to brake... or is this just me lol

Rukka Nivala gloves, heated grips and hand guards. Lovely!

Rukka Nivalas are really good gloves but be aware that heated grips can cause Gore-Tex to fail, stopping the gloves from being waterproof.

Silk...get you :D

I ride with my fingers resting over the brake/clutch, so my finger tips get really cold.
So heated grips are useless :(

maybe i need to change my riding style, but with all the nuggets in Manchester pulling out and trying to kill me, i wouldn't feel safe with fingers wrapped completely around the grips
especially with thick gloves reducing the response to brake... or is this just me lol

I bought some Gerbing heated gloves about 8 years ago changed my ability to ride in winter as I really suffer from cold hands

I bought these a while back, and have used them on coldere days wandering while I've not been able to ride, and they've been great on a bike, not cheap but I managed to get them when they had a promotion running inline with the NEC show and got 20% off.

Medium heat is enough and on battery they last around 4 hours on medium, and I have not found them to bulky as lots of other gloves are.

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/511695

I bought these a while back, and have used them on coldere days wandering while I've not been able to ride, and they've been great on a bike, not cheap but I managed to get them when they had a promotion running inline with the NEC show and got 20% off.

Medium heat is enough and on battery they last around 4 hours on medium, and I have not found them to bulky as lots of other gloves are.

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/511695

ooo those look nice :D

although the Gerbing gloves are cheaper and with batteries last 8 hrs or can be wired.

Back
Top Bottom