Self-inflating oversuit

The Other PaulG

Still searching
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
If it's not raining when I set out, I'm a fan of using leather riding gear, and carrying a nylon oversuit in case the weather deteriorates.

I have a Spada oversuit (Ride Recommended, I think) and an Oxford one.

However, what is a real pain, is the suits' inclination to inflate.

I make sure the cuffs are tight - same with the ankles and the neck - but at anything over 50 the suits just seem to balloon so I become a high speed Michelin man. You can really feel the drag on the suit, it buffets a lot causing quite a bit of fatigue and irritation. When doing over-shoulder checks, my helmet hits the inflated shoulder of the suit.

I don't think my suits are too big - as it is, it's quite hard to get them over my leather jacket. Any smaller and it would be impossible.

So the question is, how do you stop your oversuit from inflating itself?

I think you may struggle to find a solution.

Airflow over the outside surface of the suit lowers the air pressure and the greater atmospheric pressure inside the suit causes it to balloon.

Some sort of bondage straps might help. In the days when I rode in extreme weather conditions, I'd wear my North Face Mountain Jacket over my Cordura bike jacket and I'd strap it down with a belt and braces affair.

You have to love old Bernoulli....

Some sort of bondage straps might help.

I did wonder about that. I have a spool of 8mm double sided velcro (actually from a garden centre, for tying stems to stakes) and pondered making 'ties' for upper arms and possibly at the knee. Do you think that's worth a shot?

Superb.

If you can't follow the link:

The Scottish Word:
Nicky-tams.
August 22, 2000
“Ah’ve telt ye a hunner times, nicky-tams is for keepin’ rambunctious rats oot – no in!”

Translate:
nicky-tams: string tied around the leg below the knee to keep trouser leg bottoms out of the mud.

That's exactly what I need. I'll search the Touratech catalogue for Nicky-Tams immediately.

Start with a belt around the waist to separate the upper and lower body.
Of course you might end up with two balloons.
You won't know until you try.

tom

I have a Richa oversuit and have to say ive never had this?
i can imagine its pretty annoying though

You could poke some holes in the back to let air out :D

ok ok... ill get my coat....

I have a Richa oversuit and have to say ive never had this?
i can imagine its pretty annoying though

You could poke some holes in the back to let air out :D

ok ok... ill get my coat....

Excellent! I'll use a soldering iron to cauterise the holes and stop them tearing.

Doesn't The Twat in the Cap say this is one of the reasons Motolegends recommend Scott waterproofs? Because they stretch, they can be bought to fit more snugly so they don't billow.

No idea if it's true but it sounds good...

Doesn't The Twat in the Cap say this is one of the reasons Motolegends recommend Scott waterproofs? Because they stretch, they can be bought to fit more snugly so they don't billow.

No idea if it's true but it sounds good...

this,and its true they are stretchy but not tight,if calsberg did waterproofs blah blah

this,and its true they are stretchy but not tight,if calsberg did waterproofs blah blah

Correct. Used my Scott waterproofs several times over Belstaff jacket and Rokker jeans and they fit nice and snug. I haven’t had any problems with them billowing up, even if the collar is left a bit loose!

Not cheap, but you’re worth it Paul! :D

……..and Motolegends is only just down the road from you so you could even try them on! ;)

Back
Top Bottom