New ‘big TFT screen’ 1600 - Phone cubbyhole thing

Wapping

Reaction score
The phone cubbyhole is more plague than profit, when using the phone as a navigation device in conjunction with the BMW Connected app.

1. The cradle it sits in is not charged, therefore you need a short charging lead.

2. It is a tight fit for any large (popular) large screen smart phones. This means it is too easy to touch the smart phone’s screen, which can turn the app off.

3. Whether it is due to the phone’s horizontal orientation in the cubbyhole or, the mass of electronics that maybe sits close to the cubbyhole or maybe some simple metal work being close by, I don’t know, but…. The phone will very often lose its GPS position and make bizarre recalculations, not helped as you can’t turn automatic recalculation off.

I gave up using the cubbyhole completely. Instead, I just put the phone into my tank bag. This is close enough to the bike’s Wi-Fi receiver, so it allows the detailed mapping and route to still be displayed. More importantly, my tank bag is powered, which means I can power my phone. This is very important as the BMW Connected app is very power hungry. It will flatten even a modern smart phone’s battery in pretty short order. I am writing to BMW to tell them of the problem. Putting the phone into the powered tank bag, solved all the problems. It was 100% reliable thereafter.

On a brighter note, the phone (in the tank bag) held its GPS position much better than my XT, which I was running in parallel to the BMW Connected app / TFT screen combination on my 1600. The XT lost satellite connections quite often in the narrow valleys of the Ardennes. Perhaps it was not helped that it was very rainy, with maybe the deep clouds and rain, breaking up the satellites’ signal, as can sometimes happen with a Sky TV dish. Or maybe the signal was just ‘bouncing around’?

I have now come to the conclusion that the problem with my XT device losing its position, is / was down to some kind of misfit between the route I created in MyRoute and the route as displayed on the device’s screen. It is very odd, as the other routes I created for our four days away, all worked fine.

My findings and conclusions over the failings of the cubbyhole remain.

Thank you for such a comprehensive write up.

Most informative and something to take in consideration should I consider trading my 2002 GSA in for one.

Although, I may not be so hampered …. You may wish to hear…

As I have a very basic smartphone… so therefore the size is less likely to be an issue.

I do worry about power hungry apps….

I sold my beeline for this very reason.

Thanks.

Email sent to BMW as follows:

I am a long term owner of 1600 GT’s, having owned four since the model was first launched.

I was very excited when the new ‘Large TFT screen’ bike was launched, with its cubbyhole to house a smart phone, linking seamlessly to the BMW Connected app. That excitement has foundered on the rocks of reality.

1. The cubbyhole’s cradle is too small to allow the use of larger smart phones.

2. The cradle does not allow wireless charging. Instead it requires the owner to buy a special (expensive) bespoke short length charging lead.

3. The cradle’s small size makes it too easy to touch the screen of the smart phone when putting it into the cubbyhole. Touching the screen often results in the app closing down, requiring the owner to start again.

4. The WiFI connection to Apple phones is poor, requiring a physical reconnection of the iPhone, should WiFI connection be lost. Reconnection via an Android phone is reliable. I have now been obliged to buy an Android phone as the only reliable work around available.

5. Whether it’s the smart phone’s orientation in the cubbyhole or the mass of electronics that is maybe close by or something else, I have no idea but, whatever it is, the system interferes really badly with phone’s / app’s ability to display the positional cursor of the bike accurately on the TFT screen in Navigation mode.

The only work around which does work reliably, is for the owner to give up on using the cubbyhole and its cradle completely. Instead, the owner MUST put the phone into a tank bag and make sure the phone is always powered. Everything then - and only then - works. That is an extraordinary thing to oblige an owner to do.

6. Why, when BMW make a big point of all the interconnection ability, does the TFT screen’s clock not take its time off the phone? This simple tool was easy on the old model 1600’s which took the time from the BMW Navigation device, installed in the previous models’ cubbyholes.

Item 6 is a very silly oversight, but nothing compared with items 1 thro’ 5 above. These five are unforgivable and show a clear lack of even basic testing and a simple look at the dimensions of the popular smart phones on offer from the main phone providers. Leaving that aside, Item 5 on its own is beyond belief, as it negates the reason for having the cubbyhole in the first place.

Yours etc

Wapping of Wapping

BMW have relied to my email:

Good morning Richard

Thank you for contacting BMW ConnectedDrive.

I would recommend that you visit one of our BMW Motorrad Centres where they would be able to assist you further.

Please click here to find your nearest BMW Motorrad centre.

I hope this is helpful and if there's anything else I can help you with, please let me know.

Kind regards

Shakeel

BMW Group
United Kingdom
Shakeel Malik
BMW ConnectedDrive Customer Support Executive
Customer Service
Summit ONE
Summit Avenue, Farnborough
Hampshire , GU14 0FB

Tel: +44 (0) 800 3256 000
Email: bmwconnecteddrive@bmw.co.uk
Web: http://www.bmw.co.uk

I think:

A. That Shakeel isn’t too bothered.

B. That Shakeel hasn’t read my mail, or if he has, hasn’t understood it.

C. That I should indeed visit my nearest BMW Motorrad centre and tell them in plain AngloSaxon, that:

i. That Shakeel is a feckin’ idiot, who probably just pushes button B, for a generic reply to any mail, before going off to play Call of Duty 17 online with his mates.

ii. That the cubbyhole on the new very expensive 1600 motorcycle is absolute shite.

I have replied to Skakeel:

Good morning, Shakeel

Thank you for your email and quick response.

Whilst I can certainly visit BMW Motorrad Park Lane, I have made them aware, in writing, already. As you are BMW’s Group HQ in the UK, I would like you please to:

A. Make your superiors in the UK aware of the very real shortcomings in the design and working of the dedicated smart phone cubbyhole on the new 1600 GT model motorcycle.

B. Make BMW, Munich aware of the problem.

Please confirm to me that you will do so and that you have done it. I of course then look forward to hearing from either or both on the matter.

Thank you.

Kind regards….

Let’s see if BMW Motorrad’s Facebook moderator approves this:

003c9c78d864a1624c1ffb367ff32d02.png

Wireless charging (for non-mag safe phones) works fine on the BMW cradle that converts the standard BMW satellite mount into one capable of carrying a smart phone, works just fine. I had it on my 850.

I have found a letter, posted on the US centric 1600 forum, where BMW America (who seem keener than Shakeel to address comment) explained that BMW found it was not possible to fit a charging cradle onto the 2022 1600 bike, as it would have required an extensive remodelling of the front of the bike. So, it was dropped.

I am, I confess, still wondering if EMF’s do affect the phone when it is in the cubbyhole but not when it is in the tank bag. Similarly, whether they might be the cause of the bizarre problems that struck my XT. However, that would not explain why the XT then performed perfectly on the 70’ish miles between the Chunnel and home.

Hopefully, BMW will reply. I’ll give them a few days and then remind them if I haven’t heard.

Just buy a map, write your route on a piece of paper and place it in the map pocket of the tank bag. Simples......

24 hours on and nothing heard from Shakeel, so I have sent him a reminder.

Good afternoon, Shakeel,

I didn’t hear anything back from you. I have in the meantime contacted BMW Motorrad, Battersea and BMW Motorrad, Park Lane. I wait to hear back from them, too.

This is a serious issue on an expensive motorcycle. BMW need to be aware of it and, not least, address it quickly.

I await your reply.

I have also contacted BMW, Battersea by mail, as they seem unable to answer the phone:

Hi Robbie,

I am just back from four days in Luxembourg.

There is a real problem with using the dedicated phone cubbyhole on my new 1600.

If I put the phone into the cubbyhole and run the BMW navigation app, it generally starts off fine but then (very frequently) it loses its GPS position. The bike’s position cursor on the big TFT screen jumps around, frequently triggering bizarre route recalculations.

Something as simple as me driving eastwards along the A13 or south on the A2 dual carriageways, often had the screen showing me riding either somewhere in a field or housing / industrial estate.

However, I can fix the problem instantly if I take the phone out of the cubbyhole and run it in my tank bag. In short, sitting the phone in the cubbyhole, the app’s signal is corrupted or interfered with; whilst sitting it in my tank bag, it is not.

It is a real problem, trust me!

Whether there is some electrical interference or something else going on, I have no idea, but something is wrong or why does everything work when I just dump it all in my tank bag? Somebody needs to have a good look at it, please, as I am running out of ideas.

I won’t need the bike or the phone (I had to buy an Android phone, just to use in the bike, but that’s a different story) or even my tank bag, so if I can book it in for some time next week, that would be great. BMW can then keep it, work out what is wrong and fix it.

Please give me a call to arrange.

Thank you.

Richard, it could be worse.
I asked the inbuilt sat nav on my Goldwing to route me to a petrol station in Hungary. It took me to a farm gate in the middle of nowhere.
This was a recurring theme throughout my trip. The unit is useless.

Richard, it could be worse.
I asked the inbuilt sat nav on my Goldwing to route me to a petrol station in Hungary. It took me to a farm gate in the middle of nowhere.
This was a recurring theme throughout my trip. The unit is useless.

:jes

I know the feeling. I once led some Tossers into a road that ended in a rural French sewage works.

Arsey though loves his Goldwing and Appleplay thing.

I am still getting used to the foibles of the BMW Connected app and (simultaneously) dealing with an XT that is (for reasons I cannot understand at all) behaving like a naughty schoolboy.

On the whole, the cubbyhole SHOULD be fine but I can’t tolerate it not performing properly. Dumping a phone into a tank bag to make it work is NOT acceptable.

So Richard,

You've found out that BMW did the world's laziest update of the K1600!

I hung on for ages waiting to replace my old K1600GT, looking forward to the new model coming out.

I had an inkling of what the whole Connected App crap was going to be like when a mate bought the new R1250RT.

And that's why, despite the big TFT screen and fully adaptive suspension, I went for a very late 2021 model of the old model, saving myself at least £5k in the process.

The only way BMW can 'correct' what they've done with the newer bikes is to make build-in the satnav mapping etc into the head unit like a car. You could still have a Connected app for route-planning etc but crucially you wouldn't have to have your phone permanently talking to the bike just in order to navigate. Its shit. But they won't change it because it would be an admission of failure.

So Richard,

I hung on for ages waiting to replace my old K1600GT, looking forward to the new model coming out.

I had an inkling of what the whole Connected App crap was going to be like when a mate bought the new R1250RT.

And that's why, despite the big TFT screen and fully adaptive suspension, I went for a very late 2021 model of the old model, saving myself at least £5k in the process.

The only way BMW can 'correct' what they've done with the newer bikes is to make build-in the satnav mapping etc into the head unit like a car. You could still have a Connected app for route-planning etc but crucially you wouldn't have to have your phone permanently talking to the bike just in order to navigate. Its shit. But they won't change it because it would be an admission of failure.

That's why have now gone to using my TomTom on my RT. Tired of losing the mapping when we were out touring.

So Richard,

Thank you.

I don’t have a problem per-se with the Navigation app and am taking part with beta testing. What really frustrates me is the need to move the Android phone from the cubbyhole to my tank bag, in order to make it work. When the phone is in the tank bag, it all behaves properly; move it back to the cubbyhole and the corruption of the bike’s position returns.

I haven’t heard back from BMW, which is disappointing. Next week will see me rattling their cage.

Back
Top Bottom