XT all over the place in Belgium, Luxembourg and France

I did, thanks.

My message (and I'll just keep it to this post, to not hijack Wapping's post with an OT) was because Tapatalk hijacks links and, essentially, breaks them for some users (they don't always work on mobile for some sort of odd combination) as you have go through their redirection services.

When they stop honouring the redirection (and they do) the link is essentially broken/useless. Any user that comes later on would be unable to follow links in the conversation.
Forums are somewhat historical tools, people can go and search old discussions, dig up relevant old information for some problem they are experiencing, and broken links can be a problem.
Hyperlinks are one of the foundation of the (open) web and Tapatalk is intentionally/maliciously breaking the system for their own gain.

/rant :)

Wapping: only other thing that comes to mind could be some sort of electromagnetic interference.

Thanks everyone.

I have contacted Amazon, who have agreed that the device can be returned for a full refund.

UPS will call to pick it up tomorrow, apparently.

The only thing I can’t find is how to print a return label. Having never returned something bought from Amazon, I am guessing that it needs some sort of return label?

It depends on the type of return. Self posting/locker: yes.
I returned a few items in store (both convenience store and Amazon Fresh) and there is no need for labels.

The email Amazon have sent me to confirm that the item will be accepted for a return and will be collected by UPS, has a link in it. This link apparently should take me to a page where I can print the label. But all it does is take me to a page where it confirms that UPS will collect the parcel. There is no way that I can see how to print any label.

The email does say:

[PLEASE VERIFY URL IS INSERTED AUTOMATICALLY ABOVE THROUGH THE REQUEST LABEL FUNCTION IN CSC. YOU MUST LEFT CLICK ON THE 'GO TO RETURN LABEL’ LINK IN CSC TO TEST IT.]

I am using an iPad.

1. How do I ‘left click’ on an iPad?

2, I assume that ‘CSC’ is some kind of abbreviation for ‘Customer Service C’?

3, There is no ‘GO TO RETURN LABEL’ LINK that I can see when I click on the link.

Or do I need to do it all on a PC?

Mystery of the label is solved.

A second email from Amazon has just appeared, half an hour after the first.

Please note UPS will not require the printed label, UPS will print the label on your behalf to be affixed to the package.

Note the word, NOT. Then also note the words:
….UPS will print the label on your behalf
I have therefore wasted 30 minutes of my life, wondering how to print a nonexistent label.

Why Amazon refer a bod (ie. me) to label printing, in the same email that refers to UPS picking up the parcel - when a label is not required - is of course a mystery. All it does is confuse bods.

Pending the full refund from Amazon, I have ordered a fresh XT.

If that too displays oddities when running bespoke routes, I’ll have to think again.

If that too displays oddities when running bespoke routes, I’ll have to think again.

Fingers crossed.
You should be ok.

Have to admit I've had very little issues (touching wood) with mine lately.
Although... have to admit I'm using tracks more and more :D

The only thing I am thinking about is:

A. Putting my smartphone, running BMW’s Connect app, in the dedicated cubbyhole on my 1600, played havoc with the position of the bike’s position cursor. See: https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/590526-New-‘big-TFT-screen’-1600-Phone-cubbyhole-thing

B. I have the XT mounted on a mount, screwed into where the plastic BMW roundel caps off the steering column.

I do wonder if a mass of electronics or something else is adversely affecting the device? But that affect should be continuous surely? It stopped mucking around, when I asked the device to give me an A to B route of its own creation, which is what is really making me scratch my head as to why it is happening.

Somehow I doubt electronic interference, modern vehicles being pretty well shielded, I guess? That though doesn’t explain why my smart phone was awful in the cubbyhole but was perfect, when I moved it not very far away to sit in my tank bag. Similarly, I don’t think it was the bespoke MyRoute’s routes buggering it up, as the same routes ran fine on my phone, at the same time.

If I am right, the only thing it can be is a one off, duff XT, which is misbehaving for some reason when running bespoke routes and / or can’t lock onto satellites very well…… or it’s something else, which I haven’t thought of yet.

Hey-ho, we’ll maybe find out when the new XT arrives. Any excuse to go back to Luxembourg, using exactly the same routes as this time.

This is what I was hinting at in my previous post.
I don't know/don't think it is still a thing, but I remember back in the day, when people installed Xenon lights on their 1150 bikes (mostly the GSs), the ballast would make a mess of the multifunctional display.

The 1600 has quite a lot of stuff going at the front.

Somehow I doubt electronic interference, modern vehicles being pretty well shielded, I guess?

You'd be surprised how much interference I had to troubleshoot with my current Mac mini at home, and this stuff is designed to be dependant on bluetooth and wifi... wouldn't surprise me if the bike had some shielding issues.

Similarly, I don’t think it was the bespoke MyRoute’s routes buggering it up, as the same routes ran fine on my phone, at the same time.

If I am right, the only thing it can be is a one off, duff XT, which is misbehaving for some reason when running bespoke routes and / or can’t lock onto satellites very well…… or it’s something else, which I haven’t thought of yet.

Hey-ho, we’ll maybe find out when the new XT arrives. Any excuse to go back to Luxembourg, using exactly the same routes as this time.

I hope it is as simple as a faulty XT GPS unit however the phone and XT are two completely different devices so it may not be as cut and dried.

I hope it is as simple as a faulty XT GPS unit however the phone and XT are two completely different devices so it may not be as cut and dried.

It might be worth posting on the Zumo user forums, I recall a guy called JF Heath is a bit of a guru on these things, perhaps he can shine a light on it ?

He has already posted on the Zumo forums and nobody else seems to have had this issue :)

He has already posted on the Zumo forums and nobody else seems to have had this issue :)

Yeah, I just saw that and deleted that bit from my post but thanks for the heads up anyway.

Thanks both.

I have shared my experience with the Zumo forum and with the MyRoute forum. So far, I seem to be unique. Whether that is because the problem is with the device (seems most likely) or something about the way it is mounted on the new 1600 or some bizarre problem with the MyRoute routes, nobody seems to know.

https://www.zumouserforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?p=13803#p13803

I have just come back from Belgium, Luxembourg and France.

Running properly created routes, made in MyRoute, my XT was:

A. Regularly showing the positional cursor about 100 yards off the road I was riding along.

B. Regularly losing satellite connection.

I would say that today alone, on the journey from Vianden to Calais, these two problems occurred at least 20 times. As the total distance from Vianden to Calais is 288 miles, that is a failure roughly every 14 miles.

As a check, I asked the XT to take me home from the Chunnel ie. The device created the route itself. It behaved perfectly. I am left with the only conclusion being that the XT is struggling to run the bespoke routes, its memory and processing powers being therefore diminished. The diminishing is sufficient for it to lose track of its position and / or it cannot simultaneously track satellites.

My 1600, running the same routes (at the same time) through my smart phone and TFT screen on the bike, behaved perfectly. This tells me that it has to be an XT problem.

Similarly, the XT’s speed indicator (which should be very accurate) sometimes showed me riding at say 55 mph, when I was closer to 75 mph on the motorway. That can only be down to the device being unable to process the data relayed by the satellites properly.

First part is exactly what I described my Nav 6 as doing , fine in the UK , distances off in Europe with regards to junctions, overpasses and speed cameras

First part is exactly what I described my Nav 6 as doing , fine in the UK , distances off in Europe with regards to junctions, overpasses and speed cameras

I hope this is just an isolated problem or a fix will be discovered and issued prior to my tour down to Italy next summer. It would be ironic if the rest of the group are fine using their Nav 6 units and my XT plays up using the same .gpx files after being advised by BMW to avoid buying their unit.

I wonder if related. In playing with my XT, I loaded a route that loaded correctly. I then messed about with the twisty adjustment making it more twisty and the route changed. I thought that a defined loaded route would be fixed? I then decided that I needed to eat and had Dinner and forgot all about it until now. I think it was Burger and Chips.....

I don’t think that altering a route (a topic of its own) would have any direct affect on the device’s ability to lock onto satellites or place the cursor accurately on the route or roads.

To continue with the thread’s central theme, I do recall that when I left London on Thursday lunchtime, it took the device a surprisingly long time to locate satellites. This was the despite the device ‘knowing’ that it’s last known location was right outside my house, so it ‘knew’ where to look. I didn’t give it a lot of thought at the time. Maybe, thinking back, it was a warning that all was not well.

Another odd thing, which I have never seen before, happened on my return to home on Sunday evening. I had, just as an experiment, asked the device to take me from the Chunnel to to my front door in London. It did this perfectly, including when I deliberately went off-route a couple of times, just to see if it would cope. In short, it behaved itself perfectly, recalculating very fast, accurately and without losing its position once.

The really odd thing is that I turn off the Highway, left down Vaughan Way to start to head towards the river. The road is shown on the XT’s map as Vaughan Way and is always announced as such. For some unknown reason, the device showed the left turn correctly and announced it but, in doing do, called it something strange like Edwards, both in the on-screen instruction and by voice.

I can’t remember the exact name it used, but whatever it was, there is (to my absolute certainty) no road by that name within half a mile in any direction. How or why the device made up the name, I have no idea. I probably would not have noticed, except I - and the whole of Wapping - knows that Vaughan Way is nothing but Vaughan Way. All very strange and maybe an additional confirmation that the XT is / was not particularly well.

e8f5d6869f08f871fd1672b29bca8a3a.png

Had it not been raining hard, I’d have taken a picture and maybe even a sound recording.

I thought that a defined loaded route would be fixed?

Not if you ask the XT to recalculate it.
I never tried it on a pre-created route, but I would assume that it would re-distribuite shaping points to accomodate for curvier roads, but will keep waypoints fixed. That means that, in 90% of cases only the start and end will remain untouched, as most people seldom add waypoints in the middle of a route.

Not if you ask the XT to recalculate it.
I never tried it on a pre-created route, but I would assume that it would re-distribuite shaping points to accomodate for curvier roads, but will keep waypoints fixed. That means that, in 90% of cases only the start and end will remain untouched, as most people seldom add waypoints in the middle of a route.

That’s quite right.

What the XT and other devices will do though is retain an original version within its memory. You can delete the route you’ve mucked about with and bring the original version in again, if you want to. Garmin have made it hard to delete routes from within the device itself. They don’t take up much memory and it’s a useful safety net for people who delete (or muck up) a route by mistake.

Another alternative, if you don’t want to necessarily lose the original version of the route, is to ask the device to make a track version of it. This it will keep in its tracks folder, for you to import and convert back into a route again.

Clever things, these new devices.

Back
Top Bottom