XT all over the place in Belgium, Luxembourg and France

Wapping

Reaction score
I have just come back from Belgium, Luxembourg and France.

Running properly created routes, made in MyRoute, my XT was:

A. Regularly showing the positional cursor about 100 yards off the road I was riding along.

B. Regularly losing satellite connection.

I would say that today alone, on the journey from Vianden to Calais, these two problems occurred at least 20 times. As the total distance from Vianden to Calais is 288 miles, that is a failure roughly every 14 miles.

As a check, I asked the XT to take me home from the Chunnel ie. The device created the route itself. It behaved perfectly. I am left with the only conclusion being that the XT is struggling to run the bespoke routes, its memory and processing powers being therefore diminished. The diminishing is sufficient for it to lose track of its position and / or it cannot simultaneously track satellites.

My 1600, running the same routes (at the same time) through my smart phone and TFT screen on the bike, behaved perfectly. This tells me that it has to be an XT problem.

Similarly, the XT’s speed indicator (which should be very accurate) sometimes showed me riding at say 55 mph, when I was closer to 75 mph on the motorway. That can only be down to the device being unable to process the data relayed by the satellites properly.

So the fabled XT ….has foibles

Glitches are reported on the long running thread on AdvRider

Are you sure it isn’t some software glitch in translating a route planned on a third party app into Garmin-speak ?

If the unit can calculate a route itself and execute it perfectly, it doesn’t sound like a hardware failure or a problem with how the unit calculates its routing.

Are you sure it isn’t some software glitch in translating a route planned on a third party app into Garmin-speak ?

If the unit can calculate a route itself and execute it perfectly, it doesn’t sound like a hardware failure or a problem with how the unit calculates its routing.

I am left with the only conclusion being that the XT is struggling to run the bespoke routes….

thbthvg

Well my XT managed to follow MRA routes all the way from the UK through France and to Spa and back. No motorways. This was a 5 day trip and it didn’t miss a beat. I’ve seen the pointer being alongside a road on my Nav V but that was when an update had messed up the maps.

I had a similar experience with my Nav 5 in Spain, being off course and assumed it was because I was not in the U.K. and without the latest map for Southern Europe. The XT when loaded with the Micro SD for North America behaved perfectly except the issues we had with charging.

did you turn off bluetooth and wifi on the XT? If not, it may have been trying to join in with the conversation between your Lebara phone and the K1600

I have just come back from Belgium, Luxembourg and France.

Running properly created routes, made in MyRoute, my XT was:

A. Regularly showing the positional cursor about 100 yards off the road I was riding along.

B. Regularly losing satellite connection.

I would say that today alone, on the journey from Vianden to Calais, these two problems occurred at least 20 times. As the total distance from Vianden to Calais is 288 miles, that is a failure roughly every 14 miles.

As a check, I asked the XT to take me home from the Chunnel ie. The device created the route itself. It behaved perfectly. I am left with the only conclusion being that the XT is struggling to run the bespoke routes, its memory and processing powers being therefore diminished. The diminishing is sufficient for it to lose track of its position and / or it cannot simultaneously track satellites.

My 1600, running the same routes (at the same time) through my smart phone and TFT screen on the bike, behaved perfectly. This tells me that it has to be an XT problem.

Similarly, the XT’s speed indicator (which should be very accurate) sometimes showed me riding at say 55 mph, when I was closer to 75 mph on the motorway. That can only be down to the device being unable to process the data relayed by the satellites properly.

Bizarre.
My XT was fine following 2000 miles of routes created on MyRoute back in September.

Thank you everyone. Comments below.

Well my XT managed to follow MRA routes all the way from the UK through France and to Spa and back. No motorways. This was a 5 day trip and it didn’t miss a beat. I’ve seen the pointer being alongside a road on my Nav V but that was when an update had messed up the maps.

My XT behaved perfectly right up to the end of day one. From roughly the last half hour of day one (when we entered Luxembourg) and then trough all of day two and three (right back to me entering the UK) it misbehaved.

I had a similar experience with my Nav 5 in Spain, being off course and assumed it was because I was not in the U.K. and without the latest map for Southern Europe. The XT when loaded with the Micro SD for North America behaved perfectly except the issues we had with charging.

I checked the maps and that I hadn’t inadvertently ticked the optional Open Street Maps, that I have loaded.

did you turn off bluetooth and wifi on the XT? If not, it may have been trying to join in with the conversation between your Lebara phone and the K1600

The XT is set up / daisy chained exactly as required for efficient / correct usesge. The problem started suddenly and persisted. It only stopped when I asked the XT to stop running a bespoke route and run a route which it had created itself. I have also checked that the maps are up-to-date and that the software is up-to-date, too.

Bizarre.
My XT was fine following 2000 miles of routes created on MyRoute back in September.

As was mine up until the end of day one and thereafter. Bizarre, indeed.

So the fabled XT ….has foibles

Glitches are reported on the long running thread on AdvRider

I am not a regular on AdvRider; can you point me to the thread / posts, please.

Thank yiu, JB.

I can see posts about problems with the device showing heights (and a lot of other things besides in the 360 or more pages) but nothing about the specific problem I encountered. Can you point me to a specific post or posts, please.

I have posted the problem in the MyRoute forum, too.

I would cross post, your post #1 onto that thread and see if anyone has the same on AdvRider thread

Bigger amounts of XT users over there

QUOTE ( That can only be down to the device being unable to process the data relayed by the satellites properly.) i would have agreed with that if it were not for the fact that when the unit was tasked to create its own route all was good, sounds like faulty XT to me.

QUOTE ( That can only be down to the device being unable to process the data relayed by the satellites properly.) i would have agreed with that if it were not for the fact that when the unit was tasked to create its own route all was good, sounds like faulty XT to me.

That is what is confusing me.

I have found the purchase receipt, from December 2021. I will contact Garmin for a replacement device under the warranty.

The fact that the indicated speed was wrong makes me think of GPS failure, not anything to do with the loaded track or route.
Do you remember how much signa you had? Did you check the satellite signal page by any chance? You have to keep pressed a few seconds over the gps signal bars.

What was the weather like? Cloudy? Overcast?

I assume it works fine now?

The fact that the indicated speed was wrong makes me think of GPS failure, not anything to do with the loaded track or route.
Do you remember how much signa you had? Did you check the satellite signal page by any chance? You have to keep pressed a few seconds over the gps signal bars.

What was the weather like? Cloudy? Overcast?

I assume it works fine now?

Thanks.

I had three bikes in two, so was unable to stop to check the satellite signal strength / how many satellites the device could see.

My original thought was:

A. I was in the Ardennes, so the device might be losing satellite connections but it persisted when travelling across very open countryside, too.

B. That it was raining / very overcast. But, the same problem persisted when the weather cleared.

I am near enough certain that the bespoke routes I created are glitch free, as they were also running in the BMW Connected app on my phone / displayed on the bike’s TFT screen, all without a problem.

I am also now near enough certain that it has to be a fault specific to my XT in particular, not least as I can’t find reports on the internet where bods are encountering the same problem. Given that there are lots of XT devices in use, by now someone would have also seen the same problem, surely? I’ll contact Garmin as the device is still in warranty.

Yeah, I don’t think the routes are an issue. Nor the “calculation power”. The XT is a different device than older “classic” Garmin products. It has enough memory/cpu time to work more complex things out.

If the weather cleared… I too would think of an hardware issue or, probably better, a firmware induces issue.

I had my XT replaced too a couple of years ago. Firmware update, misbehaved a bit, then got stuck with a console screen (text) when powered on. They replaced it under warranty (there was a post about it).

Can you guys not posts tapatalk links? It is impossible to follow them if you don’t use the tapatalk app.
I’d like to see the advrider thread in question.

Reason #6578 why tapatalk is utter shite.

Alternatively
Go to AdvRider
Search Garmin XT
You will find the huge thread on the GPS
Simples …

Back
Top Bottom