Issues with new-to-me R1200GS - help please 🙏

Be very careful with Seat Installation.
A Dealer (non Franchise) quite local to me sent out a lovely Twin Cam with its new Owner recently, and it burst into flames a few miles up the road.
Apparently the Seat had been forced on and Shorted the Battery.

Note: Secondhand Information, courtesy of MikeyBoy of this Parish, but I did see photos of the End Result - Not Pretty!! :(
This one:blast

Attachments

• 51DDC132-BB1F-47A8-AFE8-0D6FAC199553.jpg
    51DDC132-BB1F-47A8-AFE8-0D6FAC199553.jpg
    258.9 KB · Views: 133
Hi Santa,

3. I seem to have an EZ Canbus device fitted. I have no idea if this is a help or hindrance. I need to connect to it later to see how things have been configured. Not a clue what I am going to find.

Looking online, it seems to be a simple code reader which if it is, is about as much use as a chocolate teapot (watch someone tell me otherwise ;) )

there is nothing that is configured or turned on or off so to speak , its just a fault code reader

If you want to read fault codes, throttle adaptations , reset service lights etc, you need to obtain a GS911 Hexhead version ,

The other thing you may see is, an Hex ezcan , this is just a module that allows you to connect all your accessories ( spot/ foglamps, taillamps,

Sound bomb (horn) etc, so you don't trip the Canbus voltage monitoring otherwise it will shut down your accessories if they draw to much current

Re seat fitting and shorting connections it seems to be a common enough theme.

I know of a hexhead GSA that managed to get smoke coming from under the seat. Combine badly fitted extra wiring and ham fisted seat install and hey presto!

Fitting the seat takes a bit of practise, even now if I get it in one I pat myself on the back

There is a spacer underneath the OE battery.

IMG_5501.jpg

IMG_5502.jpg

If you or someone else replaces the battery with a slightly higher one - like the one recommended by Motorworks, you can raise the terminals closer to the metal bar on the seat.

Take the spacer out, problem solved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yes just tested tonight in the lower setting and you are right, the seats sits slightly closer to the tank... Cheers

The gap is normal on the GS.

I have the 2017 model and its the same, i did notice it and wonder if its out of alignment at first too.
actually its a nice change from my Honda which pooled water between my legs... working its way through my pants!
at least on the BMW its just drains away.

I have always been a bit nervous of the metal bar catching terminals & trapping wires.
I made 2 short bars ,they are in the high position in the photo.
Probably got too much time on my hands :)

PJ9wsKS.jpg
[/IMG]

I made two similar seat lugs to replace the metal bar on my old Hexhead Sargent seat to prevent shorting across the terminals of my aftermarket Motobatt battery (having briefly had the sparks once despite the red live terminal rubber cover being fitted.)

Its a really crap piece of design by BMW, they should have done better.

Looking online, it seems to be a simple code reader which if it is, is about as much use as a chocolate teapot (watch someone tell me otherwise ;) )

there is nothing that is configured or turned on or off so to speak , its just a fault code reader

If you want to read fault codes, throttle adaptations , reset service lights etc, you need to obtain a GS911 Hexhead version ,

The other thing you may see is, an Hex ezcan , this is just a module that allows you to connect all your accessories ( spot/ foglamps, taillamps,

Sound bomb (horn) etc, so you don't trip the Canbus voltage monitoring otherwise it will shut down your accessories if they draw to much current

Hi - It's the Hex thing. I plugged into it last night and I doubt I will need to worry about it again. It controls things like the aux lights and whether they flash with the indicators or not. Life will go on without worrying about it! Cheers

Re seat fitting and shorting connections it seems to be a common enough theme.

I know of a hexhead GSA that managed to get smoke coming from under the seat. Combine badly fitted extra wiring and ham fisted seat install and hey presto!

Fitting the seat takes a bit of practise, even now if I get it in one I pat myself on the back

;) LOL... Well I managed it last night with no dramas but yes I was uber-careful... I shall pat myself on the back...

Top tip... I think I have a way forward too (with the silicone terminal covers) but I will check the spacer thing too... Thanks

There is a spacer underneath the OE battery.

View attachment 551772

View attachment 551774

If you or someone else replaces the battery with a slightly higher one - like the one recommended by Motorworks, you can raise the terminals closer to the metal bar on the seat.

Take the spacer out, problem solved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Top tip... I think I have a way forward too (with the silicone terminal covers) but I will check the spacer thing too... Thanks

The gap is normal on the GS.

I have the 2017 model and its the same, i did notice it and wonder if its out of alignment at first too.
actually its a nice change from my Honda which pooled water between my legs... working its way through my pants!
at least on the BMW its just drains away.

I never thought of that, cheers...

I have always been a bit nervous of the metal bar catching terminals & trapping wires.
I made 2 short bars ,they are in the high position in the photo.
Probably got too much time on my hands :)

PJ9wsKS.jpg
[/IMG]

Very cool idea... I doubt my engineering capability extends to your idea but I do like the style... Why isn't the design like this in the first place, problem solved!!! Thanks

I made two similar seat lugs to replace the metal bar on my old Hexhead Sargent seat to prevent shorting across the terminals of my aftermarket Motobatt battery (having briefly had the sparks once despite the red live terminal rubber cover being fitted.)

Its a really crap piece of design by BMW, they should have done better.

Well seeing the posts clearly I was not alone... Luckily I got away with it but seeing you repeat the message that two shorts bars are better than one long one, I may investigate doing the same... Cheers

Well seeing the posts clearly I was not alone... Luckily I got away with it but seeing you repeat the message that two shorts bars are better than one long one, I may investigate doing the same... Cheers

I’m lucky enough to have access to a lathe at work, some scrap bits lying around and a bit of free time between jobs.

Back
Top Bottom