Navigator VI update - Lifted from Facebook

Wapping

Reaction score
I lifted this piece from Facebook, first penned by a Gary Hyett, two days ago.

Hi, My Nav 6. story. I replaced my nav 5 for a 6, 2 years ago. I had the original grey screen background one fail after 12 months which was replaced with the dark background 'make life a ride' model. This failed after 6 months and was again replaced. When I say failed I mean that the occasional ghosting / screen jumping gradually gets worse to the point that it becomes unusable despite any amount of care and cleaning. A replacement then failed again recently, outside of the original 2 year warranty, but after an appeal to replace, BMW authorised the local dealer to replace. This is where it gets interesting! The local dealer said he had no idea how old the satnav was in the box on his shelf and it may fail again. He suggested I appeal direct to Garmin UK for a replacement to the latest version they had as he had learnt that garmin had now found a solution to the problem and the latest batches should be ok. So that was what I did.....and without any fuss they agreed an exchange. Interesting to see that what I have received is a recertified replacement in a brown box without any accessories of the original grey background style! I guess it's possible they have found a fix that applies to both version 1 and version 2 of the nav 6. It comes with a 90 day guarantee. Or have I been fed a nice story that saved Bmw the replacement??? Time will tell... Its a great product when working but a disgrace to both BMW and Garmin that they continued to sell a product that they must have known (or still know?) is not fit for purpose. In the meantime I have been using the connected App. Alright as a backup but no where near the features of the Nav 6 (I plan routes on myroute app) and I don't really want my phone on the handlebars. Finally I am a member of a club with a large number of bmw owners. Some have had no problems....but they may be those who have relatively low annual mileage.

I have no connection with Hyett, nor with Garmin / BMW but some might find it useful, assuming that it’s all factually accurate.

Its good if they have finally fixed the ghosting issue. But I still am very happy with my XT and think it is superior to the Nav 6. Although the XT has been around a while, so expect there will be a latest and greatest coming along :)

Its good if they have finally fixed the ghosting issue. But I still am very happy with my XT and think it is superior to the Nav 6. Although the XT has been around a while, so expect there will be a latest and greatest coming along :)

With the added speed and feature set of the XT over more familiar units (like the Nav 6 for example), just how much processing power and how many more features does anybody need over what is currently available ?

The internet tells me that the dedicated satnav units for the average Joe Blogs are dead and XT likely to be the last unit Garmin produce. However, for the hardcore adventures amongst us, there is a likely to be something remaining that hasn’t got all the bangs pops and whistles.

The advent of phones being able to connect to motorcycles and use Apple CarPlay or Android Auto as seen on Honda Africa Twin, Goldwing, etc, meaning that the Standalone Satnav is a bit of an old hat.
Many bods use Google/Apple Maps, MyRoute App, Calimoto App and such like in conjunction with Quad Lock phone Mount or similar.

I am very happy with my XT. I think it is superb. And shall keep it for as long as it will continue to operate without glitching out on me.

Garmin have, over the years, produced some excellent GPS automotive devices and they still do.

I don’t think they will quickly lose their ability to be really good at knowing how GPS functions ’work’ but their days (like that of telexes, faxes, CD’s and now cameras, too) of producing and offering physical GPS devices are probably numbered. In short, they have lost:

A. To the smart phone.

B. To bods (and there are lots of them on this forum) who do not want to create their own routes at all. All they want / need is a phone (or an implant if one were available) to tell them how to go from A to B on either main roads or twisty roads. They do not need a bespoke GPS device at all. Yes, they’ll sometimes moan that the vibrations of the bike buggers up their phone’s camera and / or it doesn’t always work when the screen is wet or it shuts down if it gets too hot in the sun, but those are faults that can be fixed by the phone’s makers. That the phone will always link seamlessly with their TFT screens / displays in the car and on their motorbike and will share perfect routes with their mates, so nobody needs to get lost ever again *, is just a bonus.

Garmin’s role will maybe change to being a consultancy, in the same way that F1 teams offer engineering consultancy to other manufacturers. Or, like others before them, they’ll go bust. Panasonic fax machine, anyone? Or, as EVskij suggests, they will stop producing what are now overblown infotainment systems ** (that won’t beat a phone anyway) and instead concentrate on solidly built, very reliable GPS devices, easy to use and capable of easily accepting bespoke routes.

* They will, of course.

** As demanded by loads of bikermates, who want to be connected and entertained for every moment they are out on their motorcycle.

My 2nd replacement unit has been shipped today. It's described as " GPS UNIT, NAVIGATOR VI,LM,BMW,GPEU,AOEM,REFURBISHED" !

2nd replacement now ghosting as before!
Fed up to the back teeth of this now.

I’ll be straight onto Garmin on Monday.

3rd Nav VI now on its way back to Garmin. I’ve been told I’ll receive a brand new unit.

Probably sell that and buy an XT

By the way I’m not sure which is worse a Nav VI or Tapatalk, both are unusable at times!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom