Exhaust Valve

GSADavidZH2

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Good evening, hope everyone is well. My question is related to my 2013 90yr Anniversary GSA.

Has anyone had any success in freeing off a seized exhaust valve? I was quoted £349 for a replacement..............

Do you mean the flappy valve in the exhaust between the silencer and the y piece? If so, freeing it off is very difficult without damaging it - carefully prise off and remove the crowns on the pivot and dig out the graphite type sealant. The valve may start moving then if not force it. Replace the graphite with silicone or something and try and get the crowns back on. It’ll inevitably seize up again.

It’s much simpler to remove the valve and buy or get made a link pipe. Nippy Norman’s is the place I think.

It’s an idea to remove the servo motor and cables too and tape up the electrical connectors.

Bike will run fine without the valve, perhaps a little louder. No errors on the dash but errors are recorded and can be seen with either a gs911 or bmw diagnostics (I assume).

If you don’t mean this valve, nope can’t help.

When mine seized on my 2012 GSA I removed the end can and used a pair of pliers to force the valve open. Removed the cables but left the servo in place just blocking up the cable entry points. Bike ran fine, can’t say I noticed any difference. No errors appeared on the GS911 & as I home serviced the bike I didn’t care if any were stored that a dealer might read at a future date.

Good evening, hope everyone is well. My question is related to my 2013 90yr Anniversary GSA.

Has anyone had any success in freeing off a seized exhaust valve? I was quoted £349 for a replacement..............

If you do a search here you will find shed loads of info on this as it has been done to death many times :thumb2 :beerjug:

Yes, that is the valve I mean AustinW, fortunately it is seized in the open position. The connector to the servo motor has been disconnected, so there is no strain on it. Thanks for the replies, I will leave it for now.

Back
Top Bottom