2023 Honda Transalp launched

They had three I think on the Honda stand at the NEC show, various colours and extras. It will be better in every material, measurable way than my 3 year old Tenalady and so it should be - you won’t have to buy a new seat and rear spring to make it comfy for starters. But… it looks a bit, well, dull. It’s very Honda, like the NT1100. I looked round it, sat on it, looks well made and is comfy but I just didn’t find myself thinking “cor I want one”. It would be a Sensible Purchase. The Ducati Desert X on the other hand, ohhhh yes! Can’t afford a new one of those but when they start appearing on the second hand market I’ll be seriously thinking about one.

Still not had a price for the bike yet but watching Rocketman on youtube gives a good idea and a idea of the option packs which look far better value if you buy them individually as you only save a few quid buying the specific packs which may contain items that you dont really want !!

once I get the prices I will pick the bits I want, Quick Shifter, sump guard, engine bars, heated grips, Top box, wind deflectors, panniers just to mention a few LOL

Rob

It does seem cheap. But to me it looks cheap. Clearly a 'built to budget' model in their line up.

You can see how too. Crap suspension. Cheap plastics, single piece frame etc.

You can see the difference in quality and spec between it and the new V-strom 800DE. The Suzuki is going to be £11,500 IIRC But it has a much better package. The fully adjustable Showa suspension is the winner for me. And tabig 20L tank. The double balanced engine will help it massively too. That's the one thing that these 270degree twins suffer with. Weird vibes at cruising speed. Suzuki have patented their design and built a new motor from scratch to combat this.

The transalp is clearly a commuter bike in adv clothing. I'm sure it will sell well. But if I could only have one bike in the garage in this category, it wouldn't be this one.

Still not had a price for the bike yet but watching Rocketman on youtube gives a good idea and a idea of the option packs which look far better value if you buy them individually as you only save a few quid buying the specific packs which may contain items that you dont really want !!

once I get the prices I will pick the bits I want, Quick Shifter, sump guard, engine bars, heated grips, Top box, wind deflectors, panniers just to mention a few LOL

Rob

After you’ve had one, it’ll be a good value bike for owner no.2
Especially with all those add-ons

It does seem cheap. But to me it looks cheap. Clearly a 'built to budget' model in their line up.

You can see how too. Crap suspension. Cheap plastics, single piece frame etc.

You can see the difference in quality and spec between it and the new V-strom 800DE. The Suzuki is going to be £11,500 IIRC But it has a much better package. The fully adjustable Showa suspension is the winner for me. And tabig 20L tank. The double balanced engine will help it massively too. That's the one thing that these 270degree twins suffer with. Weird vibes at cruising speed. Suzuki have patented their design and built a new motor from scratch to combat this.

The transalp is clearly a commuter bike in adv clothing. I'm sure it will sell well. But if I could only have one bike in the garage in this category, it wouldn't be this one.

V Strom 800 is £10.5k plus on the road. Looks good value.

V Strom 800 is £10.5k plus on the road. Looks good value.

That's great news. I work for a Japanese brands main dealer. They told weeks ago that it was going to be £11,499

They've obviously looked at the market, seen Honda's pricing and knocked nearly a grand off it.

Which makes it spectalular good value considering what a better bike (IMO) it is than the Transalp.

it does seem rather pricey at £10,000

i would have thought it would be around £8,500

i can't help feeling it won't be a patch on the Tenere 700

That's a good write up, better than I expected. I was planning on getting a test ride on a cb500x and still will but at not much more weight I think I'll try one of these as well.

It will take sales from the CB500X and the Africa twin as it does a lot of what they set out to do. Sounds a very good bike.

I'm at £11,000 with a few extras on the configurator

It will take sales from the CB500X and the Africa twin as it does a lot of what they set out to do. Sounds a very good bike.

I'm at £11,000 with a few extras on the configurator

I think it will also take sales from many who may have looked at the Tenere.
Unless they were buying the Tenere to primarily use off road, the Transalp looks a much better buy with another 18bhp , better handling yet much cheaper.

Back
Top Bottom