Not clutch noise

Odbodd2

Reaction score
2008 Adventure has done 55000 miles. Have had noise in neutral which goes when clutch pulled in. Have removed gearbox but clutch is ok.Stripped box and found broken splined washer in input damper spring container. BMW don 't 'supply this part. Complete shaft only at 500 euros. Any suggestions please.

Mine was the same, I replaced the input shaft with a new one at almost £500 and rebuilt the gearbox with new bearings and seals plus a new clutch friction plate. After a further 2000 miles I traded the bike for a newer one but at least the old machine was then sold on to its next owner without faults.

2008 Adventure has done 55000 miles. Have had noise in neutral which goes when clutch pulled in. Have removed gearbox but clutch is ok.Stripped box and found broken splined washer in input damper spring container. BMW don 't 'supply this part. Complete shaft only at 500 euros. Any suggestions please.

Pay the 500 euros and look at it this way

The first has lasted 55000 miles and 14 years ... and its 100 odd euro's for every 10,000 miles you cover

I'd take 500 over 1K every day (thats what a rear shock with goodwill cost me )

My other GS 2007 has done 130,00 miles with no problems except 2 exhaust sensors. All input shaft parts are available for this one. Progress or money saving?

I share your pain, you have my sympathy.
The gearbox on my 08 GS has just had the same fault, repaired by Mikeyboy of this forum, with the complete input shaft from BMW. I could hear the rattle in all gears and neutral, only quitening when the clutch was pulled in. During the repair a new clutch went in, and it had a final drive rebuild.
The outlay was rather larger than originally anticipated when I thought it was probably one of the gearbox bearings on its way out (and that the clutch would be fine after only 30,000 miles).
I hadn't even thought about the final drive needing any attention. Of course, this was unrelated to the original problem, but whilst it was off it made sense to tackle it.
My only consolation is that with the exception of a suspension refurb, all the big jobs should be done, and it will hopefully be fine for many years to come.
I hope I'm not tempting fate.

This is not really acceptable. Paying a high price for these bikes which should be more reliable. The shaft can be disassembled so why not supply parts. I thought that the Germans would have a fix for this. They are usually on the ball.

How loud was this noise? Was the bike changing gear and running okay? I ask because I can hear a slight noise when in neutral that goes when clutch is pulled in. Mine's a 2008 with 30k on the clock and the gearbox oil has been changed every year without fail. Zero issues selecting gears.

How loud was this noise? Was the bike changing gear and running okay? I ask because I can hear a slight noise when in neutral that goes when clutch is pulled in. Mine's a 2008 with 30k on the clock and the gearbox oil has been changed every year without fail. Zero issues selecting gears.

It will be the endfloat on the shafts and possibly the low first gear pinion rattling slightly on its needle roller bearing, mine did this despite being all well within spec when I stripped and inspected my gearbox. The shafts still rotate inside the gearbox with no gears selected, everything just whirs away happily in there in neutral with the engine running and the clutch engaged.
My input shaft spring damper housing had split apart so I bought a new input shaft seeing as the spring damper is not sold as a sub-component. The gearbox has the same slight rattle in neutral after the rebuild when hot but shifted very silky and positive, nothing to worry about. FWIW my 2019 GSA gearbox is noisier in neutral than my Hexhead GSA was.

It will be the endfloat on the shafts and possibly the low first gear pinion rattling slightly on its needle roller bearing, mine did this despite being all well within spec when I stripped and inspected my gearbox. The shafts still rotate inside the gearbox with no gears selected, everything just whirs away happily in there in neutral with the engine running and the clutch engaged.
My input shaft spring damper housing had split apart so I bought a new input shaft seeing as the spring damper is not sold as a sub-component. The gearbox has the same slight rattle in neutral after the rebuild when hot but shifted very silky and positive, nothing to worry about. FWIW my 2019 GSA gearbox is noisier in neutral than my Hexhead GSA was.

Great stuff, thanks for the reply! :thumb2

eff934d96d3528bebbc232e76d47faeb.jpg

Gearbox input shaft damper casing splits and peels apart under repeated shock loading, this is mine at 48,000 miles. It’s just a shitty piece of pressed thin walled steel, not the best piece of design.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I could hear the rattle on mine when stationary with earplugs in and helmet on, and also at low speed. Higher speed I couldn't hear it so much due to exhaust, wind noise etc. Bike ran fine, gears changed ok, but the clutch was a little on/off at biting point (probably due to a previous slave cylinder issue).

Back
Top Bottom