Dead bike

Sixpack

Reaction score
Hello I've been a member a long time but hardly ever post as I use it mainly for searching for advice or buying things. I have a new problem that I cant find the answer so looking for some help. I went out to start the bike this morning and when I turn the key nothing happens checked the battery and its all good. I commute on the bike at times so its been 2 weeks since I started it and its been on a charger. There were no problems when I last used the bike. Its a 1200GSA 2009 with 45000miles. Any help would be appreciated.

Side stand switch or clutch switch

make sure the side stand is up, and pull the clutch lever in

If it starts it's more than likely the clutch micro switch

hopefully its not whats happened to me in the past.
after several minutes of panicking..... kill switch was on :blast

id like to think more do this, but probably just me!

Does nothing happen at all when you turn the key?
nothing on dash no noise anything?

when I turn the key nothing happens

Lets start from the beginning and take it from there one step at a time... do the ignition lights come on ?
What do you mean by "checked the battery and all is good" ? what did you use to check the battery.

Checked side stand clutch, kill switch and changed out the battery. Still nothing no lights on dash or noises. I have had problems with the sand stand switch before but the bike still starts it will just switch off when you put it into gear.

EWS

Do these have a ring antenna EWS around the ignition??

hopefully its not whats happened to me in the past.
after several minutes of panicking..... kill switch was on :blast

id like to think more do this, but probably just me!

Does nothing happen at all when you turn the key?
nothing on dash no noise anything?

This! Went camping many years a go on the bike, went to leave and couldn't get it started - had people on the campsite pushing me to bump start it, then I saw it - kill switch was on, some twat had moved it in the night and that twat wasn't me! (this was at the time of the eclipse back in the early 00's)

Hopefully it is as easy as this.

Cheers
Steven

A little update. Left the bike all afternoon then switched the ignition on and dash lit up but flashing bike started then died with the dash now blank. Tried ignition again but nothing and nothing since. I take it I've got a short somewhere?

How old is the battery ? ,,, if it’s a fair age , I would charge a new one and it - then take it from there .

1. Dead battery, sudden change to cold weather this time of year kills off a weakening one.

2. The well documented ignition switch issue. If you turn the key and absolutely nothing happens, or turn the key off when the bike is running and it stays on, then its this part you need, the microswitch turned by the key
https://www.motorworks.co.uk/ignition-switch-electrical-part-ela08211-1.html

3. Ignition lights on, good battery, push the starter and nothing happens, then it could be the permanently live exciter wire from the battery to the starter. Here's how I sorted it, costs nothing but a few inches of wire!
https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/443912-HELP-BIKE-WON-T-START/page2 go straight to Post #25

I’ve been here with my gs left on charge when it dropped a cell on the battery. Check the battery with a voltmeter. If it’s been on charge and reading 8-9 volts it’s dropped a cell and needs replacement

Back
Top Bottom