Found it... Nufenen Pass

Neil W

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
First time abroad on a bike was May/ June 1985 on my Katana 1100, we did loads of Alpine passes and roads including ths Arlberg, Grossglockner, Oberalp, Susten, Grimsel and Susten .

There was ,however, another pass in Switzerland that for the life of me I could not remember the name of , work out where it was , or even find any of my photographs of ,having been back to the areas on numerous occasions and after 38 years I was beginning to think I had dreamt it and it did not exist.

Lo and behold in this months ABR magazine there is the picture of the pass I remember the Nufenen Pass, in my defence it was pre Internet, the maps we were using had no towns under a population of 150,000 and most of the time we barely knew which country we were in.

It was even the same weather conditions as this photograph with snow at the sides of the road.

One to revist In the future

Attachments

• nufenenpass-ulrichen-upload-22280-1024x0.jpg
    nufenenpass-ulrichen-upload-22280-1024x0.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 286
You only had to ask. These from July 2014.

76cf92f0279bd09d6eed1eaee7bebe3d.jpg

2d147051ab54e55c3ac6c941e3bd1f6e.jpg

We did it in the Honda Civic Type R my wife had at the time and it was a lot of fun.

I’d forgotten about that trip but I had a shit load of stitches in my hand so riding a bike for a week would have been miserable so we took her car :D

I remember it well, mid September 2015, full concentration mode whilst riding up around those hairpins in fog and sleet 2-up fully loaded.
Then the ice warning light blinking at me as the sleet turned to snow on the approach to the summit and meeting a snow plough
Then a quick stop at the restaurant for the mrs to have a pee.
I'm determined to go back for another go!

Attachments

• IMGP8830.jpg
    IMGP8830.jpg
    230.6 KB · Views: 229
Good food in that Cafe last time we went, 1st time there (2010) it was freezing cold, blowing an gale (chairs being blown onto mountain) and starting to snow, 10 miles down the pass towards italy and 30c!

I think it was probably 2009 when we went, also in September and there was stop/start snow on the highest parts. The Grimsel pass was also closed when we were on our way south to the Italian Lakes but open again on our return so we took advantage of the situation :D

I’ve got vague memories of the car using rather a lot of unleaded while we were away :blast

A thread which, if nothing else, fails (unsurprisingly) to answer the oft heard question: “What’ll the weather be like, mate?”

Great Pass

Did Nufenen in July 2015 on a tour two-up with my daughter.

Tremendous pass!:okay

Attachments

• 10157FA8-99FA-4934-BA6A-02B15CCECDE3.jpg
    10157FA8-99FA-4934-BA6A-02B15CCECDE3.jpg
    241.7 KB · Views: 130

Back
Top Bottom