4 miles left

ride briskly 42 UK mpg, ride on a whisper of throttle under 3500 RPM 62 mpg - saw 70mpg on a constant cruise the other day for 15 miles

Given the specified capacity on the TC GSA is 33 litres, possibly more in reality the range should be good for 400 miles at 55mpg, so I guess it is about learning the consumption of your bike according to how you ride it. My TC says zero range after 340- 370 miles so in theory could still be going at -30 miles, not that I am going to test it.

Wow. 467 miles. That is amazing.

I have no plans for running to empty, but based on others comments here, I probably had a bit more than 4 miles left...which is encouraging, tho bum clenching remained as there is no way I was pushing the bike more than a few metres with all that clobber on it!!

Still can't get over people seeing negative numbers . If there really is an unofficial 2ltrs more than the 33ltr spec, then that is a lot more miles to be had... Not sure the humongous hills I was going up and down were working in my favour tho?!

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

I've put in 35+ litres in many times. Over 36 on a few occasions in mine.

I did similar at Wick Tesco riding the NC500, my fuel gauge went tits up on my Hexhead mid-trip and I limped to the forecourt on vapour and squeezed 36 litres into an allegedly 33 litre tank.

i has 25 miles left according to the gauge on a ZZR then i promptly ran out that was a mile past a petrol station - someone stopped and gave me a backkie to the station

and then had 35 miles left showing on a ninja 1000 sx which then immediately ran out in lane 3 of the M6 half a mile from a service station - that was a long half mile push in full bike gear

someone a GS stopped and asked if i was ok - which was good of them

moral i don't trust kawaski gauges

my old Tiger on the otherhand, i had down to 4 miles before filling up and the amount i put in suggested i could have gone beyond that

GSA - just dare not push it, when the yellow light comes on that's it i look to fill up, its a big bus to push

Ran out on 2008 Hexhead with I think 25 KM showing.

I go by trip meter now using 15 KM/L or 300 for full tank.

i has 25 miles left according to the gauge on a ZZR then i promptly ran out that was a mile past a petrol station - someone stopped and gave me a backkie to the station

and then had 35 miles left showing on a ninja 1000 sx which then immediately ran out in lane 3 of the M6 half a mile from a service station - that was a long half mile push in full bike gear

someone a GS stopped and asked if i was ok - which was good of them

moral i don't trust kawaski gauges

my old Tiger on the otherhand, i had down to 4 miles before filling up and the amount i put in suggested i could have gone beyond that

GSA - just dare not push it, when the yellow light comes on that's it i look to fill up, its a big bus to push

But as asked above. When your light comes on and you fill up how many litres can you fit in. It will at least give you an idea of the available range left.
I have a mate who as soon as the fuel light comes on he starts to panic, rides along side you shouting and pointing at his tank. Then when we stop to fuel up he fits in 11 litres into a 17 litre tank not realising he could actually travel another 60 miles, he always says " I'm not risking it "

But as asked above. When your light comes on and you fill up how many litres can you fit in. It will at least give you an idea of the available range left.
I have a mate who as soon as the fuel light comes on he starts to panic, rides along side you shouting and pointing at his tank. Then when we stop to fuel up he fits in 11 litres into a 17 litre tank not realising he could actually travel another 60 miles, he always says " I'm not risking it "

i'll give it a go this week and see, i'm out most days on a bike

I have only ver run out of fuel twice, 1st time on BMW K1200s the guage showed half full, helpful chap near Lewes gave me some fuel to get to the petrol station. 2nd time on the Autobahn in Germnay in my van (this is a total no no) van showed 30 km it was bine dry and only 3 k to the next exit and fuel, german plod not amused no ticket though phew! they did drag me off the autobahn very kind of them

Does anyone know how that fuel 'computer' works?

Is it constantly monitoring - therefore readjusting - the to total range based on your current riding (speed, throttle position, revs etc). Or is it just reading fuel level and calculating on a fixed mpg number?

I'm guessing the former... I also think the range estimation is up to when the warning light comes on because I invariably get a lot more miles than the estimated range.

Having come from the days of having to turn the little tap under the tank to 'reserve' I love the fuel computer. With that old tap, you would forget it has been switched to reserve

I would imagine that every time the injector fires it it knows the injector pulse width, so it knows exactly how much fuel it is using calculated against the distance travelled.
A rough idea of tank volume is taken from the float / fuel strip.

I would imagine that every time the injector fires it it knows the injector pulse width, so it knows exactly how much fuel it is using calculated against the distance traveled.
A rough idea of tank volume is taken from the float / fuel strip.

yep - fuel consumption and ave speed all work without any fuel gauge functioning - all driven off road speed and fuel injector pulses, the only bit left is the range to go, which is based on ave consumption of last x distance covered and the quantity of fuel left in the tank

so if you were doing 55mpg and there's 4.6 litres left it'll say you can do 50 miles - ride like an idiot and it'll soon say 40 keep going and it'll drop to 30 miles within 5 miles or there abouts. Back right off to 60 mpg it'll come back to 45 miles and so forth - but of course ragging for those 5 to 10 miles and there will only 3 litres left etc.

25 miles left and 26.03 litres put in
43 miles left and 23 .75 litres put in

during the same journey on a 30 litre tank

someone brighter than me can work all that out

the maths makes sense for both if you were at 30 mpg - any-more and your gauge is off whack - at a more likely 46mpg its got 40 miles left at the first refill and 63 the second and repeats on both sets of data

if we say runs out and 30 ltr fills it up

fill...................................... 26.0
tank size............................ 30.0
litres left............................. 3.97
ltr / per gal.......................... 4.56
act mpg............................. 30.0
miles per litre...................... 6.6
distance to empty had been. 26.1

and gets even worse if you can put 32ltrs in there @46mpg

fill...................................... 26.0
tank size............................ 32.0
litres left............................. 5.97
ltr / per gal.......................... 4.56
act mpg............................. 46.0
miles per litre...................... 10.1
distance to empty had been. 60.2

thanks

i'll may be do it the other way full to full and see what that works out at and then compare to the screen read out

that being said the first fill was after north west to High wycombe all Mway (M6/M40), 2nd was after a day of mixed (mway, urban, london, rural fast roads, rural lanes, dual carriageway etc)

lots of variables -

if the pumps really fast it can fill with bubbles and the pump clicks out when its half full of air
side stand vs mains stand, pump nozzle rammed in the tank versus tricks trying to ram to the rafters, is an easy 5 to 8 liters difference even on the small tank
motorway work into a head wind at 80mph will be 45 to 48mpg, normal riding if you don't mess about 45 to 48mpg (so not expecting) much difference in your two trips (with ave riding info as I have nothing better)

Didn't know it showed a negative reading. That's like enduring into the Twilight zone... What does that mean, you owe the tank?

:)

When range goes “negative” it simply means the distance travelled after dash Range stops counting down at Zero.

The distance you’re feeling nervous before reaching a fuel pump.

Or distance till you start pushing.

25 miles left and 26.03 litres put in
43 miles left and 23 .75 litres put in

during the same journey on a 30 litre tank

someone brighter than me can work all that out

Just wondered what bike you are riding that has the 30 litre tank

Just wondered what bike you are riding that has the 30 litre tank

the GSA has a 30 ltr tank over the normal GS 20 ltr

During a trip to Scotland i went past a petrol station and thought naaa ill be alright....

i went passed Loch Lomond to my campsite (Beinglass) and my range said 9 Miles!
i wanted to go back to fill up the way i came, but decided to risk it.

i checked google and the nearest station in the direction of travel was 11 miles at the Green Welly stop.
The morning after my range went to zero before i got there... the anxiety was through the roof waiting for the coughing and spluttering.
i made it and the relief was immense

Not doing that again, if i get lower than 80 miles and see a garage im filling up.

Depending on the year, the GSA may have a 33 litre tank like mine!

Back
Top Bottom