Luggage - Deal or no deal?

Chasb

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
So, in a moment of weakness/madness, Wifey has given me the nod to sell my '11 plate T/C GS & buy 'us' a new 1250 GSA (think that she's going to be after something in return somewhere down the line).

After speaking to a few dealers, I think that I've narrowed the choice down to either a straight purchase of £18.5k without luggage or £19.5k with the 3 box luggage set.

What're peoples views on the BMW kit?

I know that the list price for the 3 is over the extra grand I'm being offered, but is it good value or would shopping around for alternative aftermarket kit (Bumot etc) be a better way to spend that money and, if so, what would people suggest looking at?

Probably planning on a couple of week long European trips with mates each year, to give an idea on required carrying capacity.

I've had the BMW three box luggage (both current and former versions) on my last three or four GSAs and have had not any problems at all. The current set have been wrapped in black using the kit from Hum-vee Graphics (recommended) I've heard of people who complain that the panniers can let in water but I haven't experienced that,

You seem to have a good deal offered. The alternative is to buy the bike only and watch out for second hand luggage but I'm not sure you'd get a better deal, and buying the bike/luggage together will save you having to re-key a used purchase

It seems to me that buying aftermarket kit will get you as good or perhaps better boxes, but as far as I can see there doesn't seem to be many savings to be made over the cost of BMW luggage

You could try looking at the belowhttps://bullshiftsales.com/moto-pro-panniers/. These come with their own frames I believe so maybe not suitable if your getting the alloy panniers for the GSA ,?

most aftermarket solutions will cost you the same/similar money for the same solution. And if you don't get on with the luggage, or want to upgrade the BMW stuff will sell easily and hold money too.

People are constantly commenting on the poor build quality and paint application of the current GS’s, why on earth would you wish to throw nearly £20k into something which has such a poor reputation amongst many seasoned GS owners.

I’d have a look at KTM, Honda, Husqvarna, anybody but BMW. :thumb

People are constantly commenting on the poor build quality and paint application of the current GS’s,

Many don't actually have or previously had one and regurgitate others opinions.

My early 1250 GS has been faultless - up until now...

Yes the headers have some corrosion on them, but I'm not too bothered as it's used most days and cleaned no more than twice a year.

People are constantly commenting on the poor build quality and paint application of the current GS’s, why on earth would you wish to throw nearly £20k into something which has such a poor reputation amongst many seasoned GS owners.

People will always complain when somethings wrong. But never shout when it's right - because that's the expectation.......

The small percentage who complain are dwarfed by the numbers who've never had an issue.

My KTM had electronic gremlins, including preload that wouldn't adjust, a filler cap that wouldn't open and a brake warning light that came on at random. My last GS was faultless for 50k miles and my new (to me) GS is also faultless so far. Add to that the convenience of shaft drive and the GS is a winner.

Honda switchgear is horrid, as is the AT dash, but not as horrid as the Tracer 900's. Husqvarna are just rebadged KTMs.

My KTM had electronic gremlins, including preload that wouldn't adjust, a filler cap that wouldn't open and a brake warning light that came on at random. My last GS was faultless for 50k miles and my new (to me) GS is also faultless so far. Add to that the convenience of shaft drive and the GS is a winner.

Honda switchgear is horrid, as is the AT dash, but not as horrid as the Tracer 900's. Husqvarna are just rebadged KTMs.

blah, blah - all very interesting but the thread is about luggage

If I was buying a GSA I’d get at least the OEM panniers, they’ll be as good as anything else and are made for the bike

I’d get the black ones if you’re bothered about the alli ones getting scratched and tarnished, which they will

The top box isn’t big enough for 2 lids which is a no go for me but may not be a problem for you

Spent today riding both the GSA & KTM.
As much as I liked the KTM, I just preferred the Beemer, so that is where my money is going.
Taking the deal on luggage as, as mentioned above, I can always move it on if I just cant get on with it.

Spent today riding both the GSA & KTM.
As much as I liked the KTM, I just preferred the Beemer, so that is where my money is going.
Taking the deal on luggage as, as mentioned above, I can always move it on if I just cant get on with it.

If you don’t like the luggage you could always flog it and get Bumot luggage which fits straight on the GSA frames . Best luggage I’ve had , both the Defender ally boxes and Xtremada soft luggage .

Back to the original question, I would buy the bike with the panniers but would not pay more than £19.000 (ie price of the bike and a bit of discount on the cases), the BMW top box is IMHO too small to be any use , instead buy a 42 litre Givi box.

Regarding the argument about buying another marque , in my own experience my first r1200gsa lc te was a complete and utter turd of a bike ( it was eventually shipped back to Germany ,dissected and crushed ) and even my second r1200gsa had drive train issues and ecu failure , my current 2021 r1250gsa at less than 4500 miles is starting to rattle like a total b*stard and will need to be sorted at its 12 month service.

I am actively looking for a used r1150gs as an everyday bike to keep the miles down on the 1250 and I would not own a newer BMW without the safety net of the 3 years manufacturers warranty or a BMW Insured warranty

I am actively looking for a used r1150gs as an everyday bike to keep the miles down on the 1250 and I would not own a newer BMW without the safety net of the 3 years manufacturers warranty or a BMW Insured warranty

I’m lucky enough not to have to sell my T/C immediately to fund the bike (& have space in the garage to take yet another bike), so can always fall back on that if I needed to but, fingers crossed, won’t need to call on the 3 yr warranty too much.

Back to the original question, I would buy the bike with the panniers but would not pay more than £19.000 (ie price of the bike and a bit of discount on the cases), the BMW top box is IMHO too small to be any use , instead buy a 42 litre Givi box.

Regarding the argument about buying another marque , in my own experience my first r1200gsa lc te was a complete and utter turd of a bike ( it was eventually shipped back to Germany ,dissected and crushed ) and even my second r1200gsa had drive train issues and ecu failure , my current 2021 r1250gsa at less than 4500 miles is starting to rattle like a total b*stard and will need to be sorted at its 12 month service.

Mine has 12500 miles on. Interestingly, I felt it was a fair bit rougher and noisier than my wife’s at the 6000 mile service but was told it was fine.

Now at 12500 it’s having new cams and followers fitted.

I’m working on getting as many miles as possible on the bike in the first 3 years, should have all the big warranty work done by then and leave me with a reliable motorcycle :thumb2

6 GS's never had a problem.
Re luggage - other kit is better ie. Bumont but you won't buy a full set for £1k so sounds reasonable to me.
Go for it.

....but what does one do if one has had no problems with build quality or paint application on one's last 3 BMW's?

I bought a used 1250 with top box in June and then shopped around for my panniers.

Best deal online was Sycamore Motorrad in Peterborough.

My dealer couldn't match it directly but threw in the locks and coding for free which put the deal close enough to buy from them and save hassle/postage/delivery dents etc for the sake of a few quid.

My panniers were about £789 coded IIRC, I haven't got the invoice to hand but the topbox is another £450+ so for a grand all-in you are getting a good deal.

I've had 3 LC GSs since 2016 and the same set of Varios. They are good, if a bit heavy before you put anything in them (10kg IIRC). I've used them all over the place and they are secure. I don't use the top box on tour as I don't like the feeling I get on the bike when loaded. I do use it at home on day ride outs though as when expanded, I can get my lid in and all my other crap when stopped for tiffin. Expect them to get scraped and knocked about. The exhaust side box is quite restricted in capacity when not expanded. I use it expanded on tour and have never had any problems with filtering etc.

I have recently ventured into the soft luggage world with a couple of Moto Mosko panniers as I intend to add some light off-roading into my tours, but will hold onto the Varios: that's how much I like them.

Considering all that has happened since I bought them in 2016, £1000 is a good deal today for brand spankers. If you look after them a lot better then I do, you will get decent money if you offload them. The locks are a piece of piss to code if you can't persuade the dealer to do it. Otherwise, here's the best guide I've ever found:

https://www.mototrip-tours.com/blog/workshop/rekeying-bmw-case-locks/

Even a ham-fisted monkey like me can do it.

Back
Top Bottom