New key advice

slimpickings

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I need a new key for a GS 1200 ... Dealer quote is approx. £60. Just bog standard
Is this Par for the course /

I don't have the plastic wallet key

is that for a coded key that can start the bike or just a dumb key with no transponder to unlock luggage and the seat?

I have a keyless R1200RS and bought a dumb key online, cut from a photo, just to enable me to unlock the seat without fishing in my jacket for the transponder key then leaving the key in the seat lock! Cost £16 from https://www.keysinthepost.com/ in 2016

is that for a coded key that can start the bike or just a dumb key with no transponder to unlock luggage and the seat?

I have a keyless R1200RS and bought a dumb key online, cut from a photo, just to enable me to unlock the seat without fishing in my jacket for the transponder key then leaving the key in the seat lock! Cost £16 from https://www.keysinthepost.com/ in 2016

Handy to know that. Cheers!

if its the proper key all legit pre cut and coded to start the bike £60 is a bargain

they need a DNA sample and paperwork you never knew you had to get one made and hand it over

As far as I am aware it does not have a transponder It’s for a 2011 bike. It does luggage and seat

Put it in the ignition turn and press starter

Suspect the £60 is for the key with transponder, as a few months ago I got one without for the panniers etc from the BMW stealer for £18.

It was a while ago, but I wanted a spare (non electronic) key as a spare.

My local dealer LIND, in Welwyn Garden City, was lost helpful. For the price of a coffe and a donation to the Air Ambulance, they let me bring my top box in and sit and try all of the hundreds or so that they had in a box until I found one that fitted.

I understood that new sets of Ali panniers came with their own keys sets but the locks needed recoding to the new machine.

The 2011 does have a transponder chip, the rubber perished on mine recently so I purchased an aftermarket key and had it cut, then dug out the transponder from the original key and put it in a slot in the new key. By the way, these keys can be cut from a photo :eek:

The 2011 does have a transponder chip, the rubber perished on mine recently so I purchased an aftermarket key and had it cut, then dug out the transponder from the original key and put it in a slot in the new key. By the way, these keys can be cut from a photo :eek:
About 10yrs ago (maybe more?) Some group took a photo of Angela Merkel's finger print from a glass she touched at a conference. From that they 3D printed a silicone finger and were able to unlock her phone with it... Obviously she was in agreement to the 'experiment'. But an interesting exercise...

So cutting a key from a photo is pretty straightforward.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

£60!!, bloody bargain, just brought a new key for a Kia Rio £300.00. including vat and £60 to program key!!.

Not so long ago I bought a new to me hex head. It only came with one key so I wanted two others.
BMW provide "wallet" keys that are robust resin. The sales man said he had one for his vehicle that had lasted many years with constant use.
He simply said they don't wear out. So, I now have two of them, they were about half the price of the normal keys.
I generally keep one spare key in my jacket in case there is an issue with the main key or it gets lost and one in a key safe at home.

I have had 2 keys from BMW for both of my BMW bikes super cheap and arrive really quick all ready to go so much cheaper than car keys was pleasantly surprised, I too have the resin key thinking about taping it in a secret location just in case I need it.

Back
Top Bottom