Retro's Royal Enfield ... a farkle diary

This is the 30L GIVI TREKKER, as fitted to my GS. It'll be very useful on the Himmy.
52450427168_1580fecbf0_z.jpg

Although I no longer bike & camp (definition of camping on a bike: spend a fortune on expensive heavy gear in order to live like a homeless person), I do tend to carry a lot of kit on my travels (cameras and lenses, binoculars etc) so with the tank bag and a set of LOMO front crashbar bags (ordered), I reckon that should do it. Although I always have the option of throw-over panniers if I need extra capacity, my bike already has the frames fitted:okay

Micky, that's very kind and you are indeed a total gent - but it's a consumable at the end of it's natural life, so no worries!

We'll speak about that .... I'm not the normal Yorkshireman tha knows :blast

I can sense your excitement at taking on the Himalayan .... I hope you have lots of miles and smiles before you :thumb2

:beerjug:

Big Box of lovely Farkle

Phase One Farkle delivery arrived this week, so it was straight down to the lock-up for some fettling.
52505448009_a7ce957323_z.jpg

First job was to fit the HITCHCOCKS extra loom containing a relay which allegedly prevents the parasitic battery drain on E4 bikes ... on the website it states that the job can be done in minutes, took me about 60:blast but got there in the end.

Then onto the GIVI engine bars, a few minor issues (should have watched the YouTube How to vids really)but all done without too much grief.
52504693787_f4d17c8338_z.jpg

I think these bikes look really good with a bit of ironwork added.
52505178751_e4a2b6eaab_z.jpg

Final job for the day was to extract the battery, lots of moans about how difficult this is on the online forums but I had no issues. I charged the battery off the bike and it seemed to take full charge, but again it failed to start off the ignition and assistance was required from the jolly old NOCO. So the battery is indeed FUBAR'd and a new one is enroute.
52505734153_16c623568c_z.jpg

Today I'll be fitting the strengthening kit for the rear carrier so that I can use my existing box. The seat has gone off to SAS Autotrim for reprofiling, next job is the GPS install:thumb2

If you take the tank off, which is quite easy, I had one hell off a job lining up the two bolts that secure it.

There again, it was full of fuel!

If you take the tank off, which is quite easy, I had one hell off a job lining up the two bolts that secure it.

There again, it was full of fuel!

I recall that Citroen allegedly employed a guy at their 2CV Paris factory whose sole job was to boot a panel into a certain place, and everything would then fit.

I suspect RE have a similar arrangement!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Farkle Phase 1 complete

It's all come together nicely. New battery fitted (bit of a struggle getting it back in TBH:confused: but managed it, finally) and the recovered and reprofiled seat has arrived back from SAS Autotrim.
52514461906_baf1e2208f_z.jpg

Although I've not been out on the road yet (weather dreadful here at the moment:blast) it feels much better: I'm sitting on the bike now, rather than in it, I can move around on the seat and the angle of my knees is much reduced, taking the pressure off. So looks like a great job for £79 :thumb2
52514946435_d53a7b46d0_z.jpg

I've also got this useful carrier that Mick included in the sale, which gives me future luggage options:
52515013513_72f934d7c1_z.jpg

All in all, it's a tough little bike and the addition of the LOMO bags on the front crashbars really add to it's appeal. Finally, Mick won't thank me but the Shamrock of St Patrick has been usurped by the Flag of St Piran in honour of my adopted County ....:beerjug:
52514946400_42acec4ce6_z.jpg

Looking good Dave :thumb2

.... but please remember St Piran hailed from Ireland originally :aidan

:beerjug:

I recall that Citroen allegedly employed a guy at their 2CV Paris factory whose sole job was to boot a panel into a certain place, and everything would then fit.

I suspect RE have a similar arrangement!!

I seem to remember that, also having had 2CV's in the past. I thought the job role was called "Door F**king" :blastbut only at the Parisian factory and presumably in French:D Cheers:beerjug:John B

Anything to report on the "new" seat?

Sent from my moto e30 using Tapatalk

Flagship of the Fleet

My GS has returned from having work done with a fresh MoT ready for the new season. Here are both bikes together for the first time!

52620468737_fc09aaeb61_k.jpg

My GS has returned from having work done with a fresh MoT ready for the new season. Here are both bikes together for the first time!
Little and large. :D

My 1150GS had to go to pay for kids' university bills, otherwise it'd probably still be in the garage. A better all round bike, it would be hard to find.

PS You can ride in winter y'ken. :augie

Sent from Earth

Only a suggestion Retroman whilst the bikes look nice set apart, why dont you chain them together. It increases your security significantly as one becomes an anchor for the other.

Steve

Back
Top Bottom