Dry squeak from rear end

vee5

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
2010 twin cam with 54k on clocks. Got back just now from an all day ride, went to put bike in garage and its got a really nasty dry sounding squeak from the rear end when ever the suspension is compressed/extended. Sounds like its coming from either bottom shock mount or final drive at engine end.

Will investigate further as soon as I get a chance but too tired to investigate further today so in the meantime I thought I'd post in case anyone has had this before and what it was. Ta.

Rear suspension unit lower mounting (bottom shock mounting) to swing arm ;)

:beerjug:

Rear suspension unit lower mounting (bottom shock mounting) to swing arm ;)

I agree with the above.
I had the same from my Wilbur's bottom mount. I had to have the complete lower mount and bearing replaced in the end as it had worn completely through the bearing face.

I agree with the above.
I had the same from my Wilbur's bottom mount. I had to have the complete lower mount and bearing replaced in the end as it had worn completely through the bearing face.

Thanks for the suggestions! I certainly hope its just the lower mount bearing as that should be a straightforward fix. Assuming the mounting bolt comes out cleanly of course :D

Thanks for the suggestions! I certainly hope its just the lower mount bearing as that should be a straightforward fix. Assuming the mounting bolt comes out cleanly of course :D

Just give it a good lathering of WD40 and see if it cures it. I mean a good lathering, and it will only be a temporary cure, but at least you'll know you're in the right area :D

Just give it a good lathering of WD40 and see if it cures it. I mean a good lathering, and it will only be a temporary cure, but at least you'll know you're in the right area :D

I was thinking much the same, though I had ACF50 in mind

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Thanks for the suggestions :beerjug:

Gave the lower shock mount a good soaking with WD40 and left it to stand for 24 hours - squeak is now gone when I bounce the rear end so I just need to find an opportunity to whip the shock out. I'd rather order the parts in advance but as I had the shock fitted by Bas at Hyperpro when I was over that way I've not seen how the shock mounts - RealOEM just shows a complete shock unit with no separate parts... What parts am I gonna need, is it just a metal bushing, and a bearing that fits into the mounting eye of the shock? Ta.

Thanks for the suggestions :beerjug:

Gave the lower shock mount a good soaking with WD40 and left it to stand for 24 hours - squeak is now gone when I bounce the rear end so I just need to find an opportunity to whip the shock out. I'd rather order the parts in advance but as I had the shock fitted by Bas at Hyperpro when I was over that way I've not seen how the shock mounts - RealOEM just shows a complete shock unit with no separate parts... What parts am I gonna need, is it just a metal bushing, and a bearing that fits into the mounting eye of the shock? Ta.

Dunno about your 'bike and shock mounting, just send Baz an email, he'll probably send you the bottom bearing with seals. He's very good :thumby:

Here he is working on PeterNI's 'bike when we were over there :thumb

i-Zv9L27t-L.jpg

OK so I need to get some oil/grease behind this o-ring but its not wanting to pull out when I carefully use a small slot head driver. I'm concerned if I use more force I may split the o-ring - does any one know whether this is just a "normal" o-ring so I could just press a replacement one in if the current one splits? It's not a BMW shock BTW, it's a Hyperpro one...

Attachments

• DSC_0458.jpg
    DSC_0458.jpg
    239 KB · Views: 192
The alloy bush is in two halves. Left side out to the left, the right side out to the right. Look in the middle you'll see where they meet. A good sharp old screwdriver or similar and knock each side outwards. Job done :thumby:

The alloy bush is in two halves. Left side out to the left, the right side out to the right. Look in the middle you'll see where they meet. A good sharp old screwdriver or similar and knock each side outwards. Job done :thumby:

What he says.
You may be lucky and and good clean and fresh grease and if there's no play then it'll be fine.

Right I've removed the o-ring on one side and can now see a circlip which appears to be retaining the bearing in the shock body. Attempts to remove the circlip currently hampered by ye olde and very cheap/crap circlip pliers :hammer(shiny new pliers now inbound!). I'm assuming if I remove the circlip that the bearing should just pull out?

Anyone actually done this before on a Hyperpro shock?

Right I've removed the o-ring on one side and can now see a circlip which appears to be retaining the bearing in the shock body. Attempts to remove the circlip currently hampered by ye olde and very cheap/crap circlip pliers :hammer(shiny new pliers now inbound!). I'm assuming if I remove the circlip that the bearing should just pull out?

Anyone actually done this before on a Hyperpro shock?

Yes, but did you remove the alloy bushes, left to the left, right to the right successfully :rob

You didn't have a Meccanno as a kid, now did ya :blast

Yes, but did you remove the alloy bushes, left to the left, right to the right successfully :rob

You didn't have a Meccanno as a kid, now did ya :blast

Not following you! When you say alloy bushes, is that what I'm call the bearing (the bright metal shaft which I've just removed the O-ring from)? This is what I'm looking at - you can see the circlip :

Attachments

• DSC_0462.jpg
    DSC_0462.jpg
    233.1 KB · Views: 135
Not following you! When you say alloy bushes, is that what I'm call the bearing (the bright metal shaft which I've just removed the O-ring from)? This is what I'm looking at - you can see the circlip :

You're not grasping this now are ya :blast

That alloy bush, in two pieces, wanted removing first. The left to the left, the right to the right. Joint between them in the middle. The O ring would come away in two pieces ... it's held in a groove on the outside, and a groove on the inside. The alloy central bush wants to come out (left side to the left, right side to the right, butt together in the middle) :blast

I would be letting someone that knows what they're doing to do the job for you ... you clearly don't :blast

Once those alloy bushes are removed, ya know, the central alloy bush that the main bolt goes through, you can remove the O rings without damage, thence the circlip, thence the bearing :rob

Simples ....

Does this help. The bottom of my Wilbur's that needed a good overhaul.
You can see the two halves of the middle bush. Mine was a bit worn

Attachments

• IMG_20200522_144917.jpg
    IMG_20200522_144917.jpg
    224.5 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_20200522_144924.jpg
    IMG_20200522_144924.jpg
    210 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_20200522_144947.jpg
    IMG_20200522_144947.jpg
    200.2 KB · Views: 101

Back