Gearbox and FD oil

Oh, bugger, just checked my bottle of Transmax 75w/90 fully synthetic and it is indeed GL4+.
When buying oil this is something I would have checked, so cannot be sure if on this occaision I did not (unlikely) or the spec on the retailers website was wrong. Oh well, no way of proving one way or the other but glad I know, so thanks for pointing it out OP.

Don't have bikes the Transmax could be used in so will probably be the highest spec general lubricating oil I have ever used, LOL.

If the bottle states ".../GL4/GL5/..."

Why does no one think it's not suitable? GL5 is suitable for GL4 applications, but not vise versa. Therefore, my interpretation it is ok to use.

The deal with the BMW bevel boxes on these bikes is that they are hypoid drives, which essentially equates to a higher amount of sliding between the teeth, which in turn means a suitable oil is needed. It's this sliding action that demands GL5 - so no harm to non hypoid gears... But vise versa it's a no no.

I got all this in depth 2yrs ago when I want quite sure what I'd bought!!

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Listen Slippery Old Chap There are SIGNIFICANTLY more EP additives in GL5 Which can attack the bronze metals in Synchro hubs in gearboxes Hence not a good idea to put it in there

So for the sake of a few pounds and Clarification sake i.e. NOT "internet snake oil"

GL5 is all that should go in to a GL5 spec'd transmission

If you have managed with it and had no issues? Well you go ahead my friend whatever pleases you but when the hardening is abraded off it gets very soft very quick in there and I have seen some right horrors come through the workshop I have an 1150 FD that they put GL4 in that I sued to demonstrate at HUBB events It is NOT pretty!

But personally and I recommend it to any one with a BM I use 85W140 GL5 in my FDs and EP75W90 GL 5 in the gearbox

If the bottle states ".../GL4/GL5/..."

Why does no one think it's not suitable? GL5 is suitable for GL4 applications, but not vise versa. Therefore, my interpretation it is ok to use.

The deal with the BMW bevel boxes on these bikes is that they are hypoid drives, which essentially equates to a higher amount of sliding between the teeth, which in turn means a suitable oil is needed. It's this sliding action that demands GL5 - so no harm to non hypoid gears... But vise versa it's a no no.

I got all this in depth 2yrs ago when I want quite sure what I'd bought!!

Hmmm...

I'm still not clear how a brand like Castrol (a reputable brand, no?) can list on their specs for the Transmax Universal LL that it is safe for GL5? You're basically saying you don't trust that? I have chosen to trust it - not that it particularly 'pleases me'.

Wouldn't you think that after my 20k miles, which have invariably been fully loaded, often two up, for long (boring) motorway stints, along with some dirt tracks and town work thrown in, that something would have reared it's ugly head by now... It hasn't. That's not a bad test I think?

I don't doubt you've seen some horror stories, but, it doesn't quite answer my question - they specify good for GL5 applications and I've have no issues - where's the issue?

I'm aware of the additives story of course. But I'm wondering if things have developed, moved on in the chemistry world allowing this broader application of these newer oils.

Anyway, I don't like talking about all this. I've gotta get back from Italy and if you're right it'll blow up on a snow ridden hard shoulder in the middle of Switzerland

With my coffee this morning I looked into this. Attached are the Castrol spec for both Transmax Universal LL and Syntrax (both 75w 90).

It's precisely the same info I bumped into when looking into the feasibility of using the bottle of Transmax that turned up in place of what I understood I bought (Syntrax).

In the Syntrax data it does actually mention BMW specifically. But equally in the Transmax data, it clearly states GL5 compatibility, and others of course.

In my view, it's either GL5 compatible or not. I was cursing that bottle when it arrived because I'd only ever put Syntrax into it. But actually, I can't find it online and it's clearly why I didn't receive it, despite the online info clearly stating "Syntrax".

So... I'm going to stop worrying about it. Much like I did after returning home two years ago.

I don't doubt your comments Mr Farkoff. Have lots of respect for you in here. Please don't think I'm dissing you!

I'm sure there's a warning somewhere up top about oil discussions

View attachment BPXE-8F58WC_0.pdfView attachment bpxe-b2v7uc.pdf

Thanks for that Pukmeister

Can anyone now help with the puzzle, which is how the Transmax universal can cover both GL4 and GL5???

Additionally, is anyone able to find Syntrax anywhere? It seems to have become hard to find!

As further above, I'm not worrying about it. After two years there's not been a single sign to suggest anything is wrong.

I wouldn’t stress over the brand/make
If it’s up to spec gl5 it’ll be fine,
More importantly change it every service.
The oil that comes out will tell you everything you need to know about the condition of the unit.

So for BMW to recommend GL5 means there are no bronze and/or copper bits in the gearbox or FD.

Up to the "In One" gearbox & engine of the LC bikes (I think they use multi plate clutch and engine oil)

There are no synchro hubs and all the bearings save the input shaft bearing of the airheads (Which has a brass outer sleeve) are all roller or taper bearings

Whats the thinking behind the 85W140 FD oil mate?

Just my own idea as far as I cam concerned its more Heavy Duty It clings to everything and doesn;t drain off the way that the less viscous variants do (especially the thinner fully synth oils )

Some people say it causes Drag and slows the bike down Personally I've tried some tests and I can freely spin the rear wheel with just my wee finger No noticeable drag and to be honest I am pretty practically minded and just prefer to have GOOD oil everywhere and lubricating

And if 200ml of slightly more viscous oil is slowing their motorbike down??? Well what can I say ;) ??? :green gri :green gri :green gri

Thought I’d give it a go.

Attachments

• A3FBA9FF-1859-4176-8213-9C51132E4002.jpg
    A3FBA9FF-1859-4176-8213-9C51132E4002.jpg
    251.3 KB · Views: 160
So let me get this straight.

On the one hand everyone is on knees and praying only to the recommended Syntrax, yet on the other, a whole load of other 'better' options and 'ideas' are, err...valid also?

I'm sticking with a reputable brand that states GL5 compatibility. End of.

Whats the thinking behind the 85W140 FD oil mate?

I use it because........ its there.

I bought a litre for my hexhead, and will continue to use 180ml in the fd until gone. And then I shall buy another.

So let me get this straight.

On the one hand everyone is on knees and praying only to the recommended Syntrax, yet on the other, a whole load of other 'better' options and 'ideas' are, err...valid also?

I'm sticking with a reputable brand that states GL5 compatibility. End of.

Liqui Moly is a reputable brand, and it’s GL5. It’s your bike, so you can put Fanta in it if you like!

Back
Top Bottom