Is it possible??? - Cruise control

T250Tut

Reaction score
is it possible to retro fit cruise control onto my 2011 R1200gs hex head and if so how hard / awkward is it to do???

TIA:okay

great looking bit of kit but a touch expensive given the age / value of the bike

Had one of these on my f800gsa , then modified it to fit my KTM, Okay it is not a proper cruise control but it works safely and takes the strain off your wrist on longer motorway sections

I found them useless. Go up a slight incline and the bike slows significantly, downhill and it'll accelerate like a greyhound chasing a bunny!

being less sarcastic , why ? i have cruise on one of my Guzzi's , but rarely use it .

In my case it was due to me having my distal radius split into 8 pcs and a bad repair, meaning I've lost around half of the movement and a bad ache after an hour or so of riding.

Less than £100 gets you a Kaoko friction cruise control.

I Have one on my 2010 TC and it’s not perfect but it’s a whole, lot better than holding the throttle open for hours on a motorway.

I found them useless. Go up a slight incline and the bike slows significantly, downhill and it'll accelerate like a greyhound chasing a bunny!

Of course it will. It's a throttle lock, so it locks the throttle. Still lets you rest your right hand from time to time though.

I have an Atlas fitted to my 850, rather than Kaoko. I reckon it does as good. job as the highfalutin radar-controlled electrickery on my V4S 90% of the time

What’s not to like about any kind of cruise control?

Now it’s winter there are fewer bikes around so you don’t feel such a clown for greeting oncoming bikes with a friendly wave to acknowledge that you’re both double hard for riding in winter and it also allows you to accompany your tirade of verbal abuse with a few appropriate gestures when you see cars parked in bus lanes.

Be careful though, that car in the bus lane might be an unmarked police car so you could end up in a spot of trub :rob

Albeit 30 years ago, my last two BMWs had a threaded hole underneath the twistgrip. This was to house friction screw on the throttle to ease the pressure on the wrist. This never showed on the "normal" retail microfiche. However there was, at that time, a microfiche for Police and public utilities. This fiche included crash bars, mudflaps etc not advertised to the normal public. My current CCM GP450 has such a larger BMW rear mudflap, cut down from its use (for 12 years) on an FJR1300, prior to that on a 1996 BMW R1100RT and previously on a 1990 K75.
The point? Check under the twist grip and see if there a threaded hole. There may be a cheap throttle friction screw that works just as well as any electronic cruise control.

tom

What’s not to like about any kind of cruise control?

Now it’s winter there are fewer bikes around so you don’t feel such a clown for greeting oncoming bikes with a friendly wave to acknowledge that you’re both double hard for riding in winter and it also allows you to accompany your tirade of verbal abuse with a few appropriate gestures when you see cars parked in bus lanes.

Be careful though, that car in the bus lane might be an unmarked police car so you could end up in a spot of trub :rob

Exactly this....then wondering if he (because 99.9% of bikers are men) is a tart with heated clothing........like me....
but yes, any form of throttle control, whilst not perfect if it is a twist lock, will still give relief on a long journey and allow you to travel longer.
budget is your marker.......

Steven.

I like this set up, apparently the Chinese copy is £40 or £140 for the real thing. Still cheaper than the BMW item.

Back
Top Bottom