Akrapovic baffles

simonsGSA

Reaction score
After only a week of ownership I am finding the Akrapovic end can on my 1250 GSA a bit of a drone at motorway speeds, even with earplugs. It looks like the baffles were welded in and have been drilled out. I have them and can refit them but is it worth it, do they reduce the noise much? Or do I just replace the endcan and sell the Akrapovic?

After only a week of ownership I am finding the Akrapovic end can on my 1250 GSA a bit of a drone at motorway speeds, even with earplugs. It looks like the baffles were welded in and have been drilled out. I have them and can refit them but is it worth it, do they reduce the noise much? Or do I just replace the endcan and sell the Akrapovic?

They'll save you getting your bike confiscated if you ever visit Germany:thumb2

Yes. Spent the time taking mine out. Didn’t like the difference and put them back in. Ended up buying another Yoshi which sounds great and no motorway drone. My ears will be different to yours though but worth trying, easy to reinstall. 5-10 min job.

I have just this weekend put my Akra baffles back in for the same reasons you mention.

Yes, it makes a big difference. The baffles have from the factory 2 small welds on the M6 Button head screw (top & bottom) that can simply & carefully be ground off to then undo the screw.

You should have no issues re-fitting them assuming it was done carefully in the first place.

I advise getting some scotchbrite on the baffles where they fit into the exit pipes & on the exit pipes ID too. Get some WD on there when you assemble and be as careful as you can to align the thread to the screw hols as they can get tricky to move once in situ... If you just need to wiggle it a bit then use a 3mm allen key to carefully adjust the baffle position through the mount hole. If at any point you need more than hand pressure, stop & remove the baffle and repeat the scotchbrite process. Trust me they can wedge themselves in and won't want to move, so whatever you don don't start hitting it!!

One our of touring group has a GSA with Akra and no baffles.

Luckily for us he doesn't mind riding as tail end charlie.

Just thought I would update on this. Yes, It make a big difference! I now can live with the end can at motorway speeds.
It looks like the baffles were welded into my exhaust and the spot welds had been drilled out. I used M6 stainless bolts in the existing holes with stainless split nuts to prevent them rattling loose after a few miles.

Back
Top Bottom