Just gone and bought an emtb

Northern jock

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I had a brief ride on an emtb the other day and was so impressed I went and bought one. I got a very good deal on Cannondale Moterra Neo 4 which has a decent motor and battery plus the rest of the spec seems good.

So far, very impressed, really enjoying it and with the range it is showing I can cover some decent long tracks in the hills here. Add a small trailer and I can camp. It's getting me out when I might not bother with a normal bike so that has to be good.

I was advised by a couple of folk to get either the Shimano EP8 or Bosch and CX motor and battery of 540 to 630 wh. The Neo has the EP8 and a 630 battery.

https://www.cannondale.com/en-gb/bikes/electric/e-mountain/moterra-neo/moterra-neo-4-c65411u

Living in Kingussie you can make the most of it.

I'm a convert myself having ridden analog for years until I tried one in 2019 and bought one myself soon after.

E bikes are the way forward ! Last month I took my wife to Italy for her 50th birthday, and on one of our days we rented ebikes for a good mooch around. The shop owner suggested we start with a 25km panoramic route above Malcesine which gave great views over the old town onto Lake Garda. The first 10km was up typically 1 in 4 gradients which I wouldn’t fancy anymore on a normal bike. But on the ebikes it was a pleasure. There is a train of thought which suggests assisted riding won’t do much for your fitness, but I’d say anything that gets you out in the fresh air, and moving has to be a good thing. We’re definitely going to look to buy soon.

There is a train of thought which suggests assisted riding won’t do much for your fitness, but I’d say anything that gets you out in the fresh air, and moving has to be a good thing. We’re definitely going to look to buy soon.

I've heard that from a few folk but yes, if it gets you out when you otherwise wouldn't it's a bonus. Also, you decide on the power setting and how much work you want to do, I'm getting plenty exercise from mine, I just go further than I would without a battery.

Another example of good use of them here was winter during lockdown. The ski area at Cairngorm was closed but full of great snow, the road up wasn't being cleared by the ski company so the snow gates were closed. That meant a long hard walk or ski up there to then get into the hills. Guys started buying emtbs and having an easy ride up carrying their skis so a couple of hours more skiing. I wouldn't do that without a battery.

They are certainly a game changer for some. :thumb2

Another advantage in Scotland is that, not generally being allowed to ride motorbikes off road, an emtb can let you someone decent tracks with power.

Not an off road bike I realise but not bad.

There is a train of thought which suggests assisted riding won’t do AS much for your fitness, but I’d say anything that gets you out in the fresh air, and moving has to be a good thing.

You're bang on with the 2nd part....I'd been a sceptic for a while, mainly seeing folk in their 30s and 40s on eMTB when I'm slogging up a hill....cheating bastards says I.....but the last couple of years I've seen more folk out on them in their 50s and upwards. I've spoken to many at the top of a hill, or a gate and most simply wouldn't be out and about without the electric assistance. (One guy in his late 60s could no longer do his 8-10 mile hill walks and did not want to sit and vegetate at home listening to his wife whining on....) They make a lot of sense for a lot of people.

Surely the purpose of a bicycle is that you pedal it, not rely on electricity.

You still have to pedal, just that their is some assistance if necessary (and varying amounts from a little to alot)

Many people suggest I am cheating.

However, i see it differently.
When I was 46, I had a massive heart attack and lost one third of my heart muscle. (Previously I was a super fit skinny non smoker)
I cannot ride bikes up hills. It is too hard on me.
When I was 67 I started downhill biking and really got the buzz from it.
My friends were trail riding and I could not go with them because I could not ride uphill.
Hired a few ebikes. It was a revelation. Bought one which now has over 11,000 km of hard trail riding on it.
My friends followed suit and also bought ebikes.
Most weekends I am out Saturdays and Sundays trail riding, pushing myself to the limit.
Ebikes permit me to get to places I cound otherwise never visit, and keep me super fit.

I really don't get the "cheating" bit, usually by purists who have nothing better to do than sneer at others who choose a different course, so fek 'em, do what you enjoy, have a good time, and ignore the miserablists:D Cheers:beerjug:John B

Surely the purpose of a bicycle is that you pedal it, not rely on electricity. :nenau

Purpose of a bicycle is whatever you want it to be. Motorbikes started as bicycles before the internal combustion engine.

Progression has given us the electric bike, just another 2 wheeled vehicle and it's nice to have a choice. I can now do some routes on my emtb that I wouldn't try on a normal bike, nothing wrong with that. And I can still use my pedal powered bike for other routes. I don't see any issue here unless it's progression that concerns you

I’ve got an eMTB and a manpower road bike and they both get used. I prefer the road bike if I simply want to go out for a ride but when we’re away on holiday and taking bikes my wife will take her electric one so I do the same and that has the obvious advantage of being able to ride on trails.

I know it’s only one point of view but on the flat I can make better progress for less effort on the road bike because of the gearing and overall I average a slightly faster speed on the road bike unless it’s very hilly. The biggest issue for me with the electric bike is it’s hard work lifting it on top of the car, especially if it’s muddy and I’m tempted to get rid of the electric bike and buy a man power mountain or dual purpose bike.

However, i see it differently.
When I was 46, I had a massive heart attack and lost one third of my heart muscle. (Previously I was a super fit skinny non smoker)
I cannot ride bikes up hills. It is too hard on me.
When I was 67 I started downhill biking and really got the buzz from it.
My friends were trail riding and I could not go with them because I could not ride uphill.
Hired a few ebikes. It was a revelation. Bought one which now has over 11,000 km of hard trail riding on it.
My friends followed suit and also bought ebikes.
Most weekends I am out Saturdays and Sundays trail riding, pushing myself to the limit.
Ebikes permit me to get to places I cound otherwise never visit, and keep me super fit.

100% agree with this. ^^^^^^^^^ Im a keen cyclist (5 bikes) and enjoy pedalling. However lots of my friends and the missus have E bikes and it has transformed their cycling. The emtb lads always shunned the necessary long drags before the down hills, gone thanks to the ebike. My missus would do 10/20 mile rides with me but was always concerned about getting tired on the hills coming home. Now with a road E bike 40 milers at 13.5 mph avg are easy.

They are a game changer, yes they are expensive , but my missus is at 2000 miles in two years, thats £1.50 a mile and dropping.

Enjoy your new bike and spread the enthusiasm

Back
Top Bottom