1200 Sport.. maybe...

gabriel_gs

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hey folks,

After years of owning GSs, RTs, Buells, KTMs, MT01s and about everything in between my eye has been taken by a 1200 Sport V4

The 1200 Sport has that classy retro look I'm after, as well as a big v-twin and I'm keen to get thoughts on those who have owned one.

It'll be an 'every day' bike, but since I work at home that's likely a once-a-week blast and a few local trips, so it's not going to be an every-day commuter and while I'm competent when it comes to aesthetic mods and smaller jobs like wheel bearings, exhausts etc, I won't be touching the engine, so I'd need something that's not completely alien to a good mechanic and reasonably reliable.

What should I look for, look out for and be aware of?

I like mine now just as much as when I first bought it a year ago.

It does everything, it's just a very good motorbike. It's classy and it oozes character. It sounds amazing and the wall of torque makes it a thoroughly nice thing to ride.

If it matters to you, it'll probably be the only one in the car park when you visit a biker cafe.

Ride one and make your mind up. I see you're in Surrey, so Baldrick (The One and Only) in Leatherhead (independent Guzzi man) is your new best friend, he'll advise you well.

I would not swap mine for anything. If you want a ride on mine, you are more than welcome, just let me know.

You legend.

I might well take you up on that in the near year, Paul - Where are you based? I’m in Virginia Water

ho , ho, ho , another one to the list . or come and have a go on mine, in Leatherhead. ( with a bit of notice )

you want to look at the 2v ( 4 per engine ,2 per cylinder ) ?

or the 8v ( 8 per engine , 4 per side )

4/side it must have the roller conversion , or budget up to £1500 to buy and fit it , and knock it off the purchase price if not done .

the 2v is not the fastest thing on paper ( like any Guzzi ) but they are very capable once you learn how to ride them.

have at least a 2 hour ride , so pick up Pauls', and come over and ride mine , them collect his and go back. no 2 bikes are identical to ride.

come with a mindset of a VFR , they don't do anything outstanding , but do everything well.

ho , ho, ho , another one to the list . or come and have a go on mine, in Leatherhead. ( with a bit of notice )

you want to look at the 2v ( 4 per engine ,2 per cylinder ) ?

or the 8v ( 8 per engine , 4 per side )

4/side it must have the roller conversion , or budget up to £1500 to buy and fit it , and knock it off the purchase price if not done .

the 2v is not the fastest thing on paper ( like any Guzzi ) but they are very capable once you learn how to ride them.

have at least a 2 hour ride , so pick up Pauls', and come over and ride mine , them collect his and go back. no 2 bikes are identical to ride.

come with a mindset of a VFR , they don't do anything outstanding , but do everything well.

You're both ace!

Thanks for the offer chaps.

It'll likely not be until the new year that I start my search in earnest (work, then a trip to Oz!), but if you're still willing I'll certainly take you up on the offer!

I'll be in touch.

Freakin' love this forum.

Hey folks,

After years of owning GSs, RTs, Buells, KTMs, MT01s and about everything in between my eye has been taken by a 1200 Sport V4

The 1200 Sport has that classy retro look I'm after, as well as a big v-twin and I'm keen to get thoughts on those who have owned one.

It'll be an 'every day' bike, but since I work at home that's likely a once-a-week blast and a few local trips, so it's not going to be an every-day commuter and while I'm competent when it comes to aesthetic mods and smaller jobs like wheel bearings, exhausts etc, I won't be touching the engine, so I'd need something that's not completely alien to a good mechanic and reasonably reliable.

What should I look for, look out for and be aware of?

I've had both the 2 valve and the 4 valve (better known as the 8valve.) Personally, I preferred the 2 valve, it felt like a proper lump. It's currently for sale at Teasdales in Thirsk, a lovely bike in lovely condition. If you plump for the 8 valve do a bit of research on the 8 valve, valve problems. Personally I'd steer clear of any that have not had the roller cam follower conversion.

now...if you had a big chocolate cake available......i could come to you......jus' saying .

and I'll have the Sport out tomorrow and Monday and Tuesday too probably.

Hmm... I've actually got tomorrow morning to myself (wife taking the kids out) and was considering a run to Box Hill/Newlands Corner to give my SV650 project a run since putting her back together...

Hmm... I've actually got tomorrow morning to myself (wife taking the kids out) and was considering a run to Box Hill/Newlands Corner to give my SV650 project a run since putting her back together...

Apologies, been oops north and just returned and seen this.

I generally work from home so I can often be around if you get some spare time.

Chocolate cake would require an additional hour's notice. :D

Just tried to PM you but I can't - it says you have to clear your inbox to receive new messages :)

Hope you've been out !

Hope you've had time to take Paul's bike out Gabriel..... it used to be mine and is just as he described - a really great ride with tons of torque and character. I hope you find a good 'un.

i will be out on my Sport on Sunday morning free after 1 ish . ....gabriel , you need to have a go on one , to find out if you love or hate it.

i will be out on my Sport on Sunday morning free after 1 ish . ....gabriel , you need to have a go on one , to find out if you love or hate it.

Thanks chap, that's very kind of you to offer!

I can't do this weekend, but hoping to catch up with Paul (down the road from me) this coming week :thumb

Back
Top Bottom