Skip next waypoint - is it possible

mw3230

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
As a user of Basecamp and Nav 5 I am occasionally guilty of less than thorough checking of my planned routes with the consequence that sometimes the satnav wants to head to a 'wayward waypoint' which is actually off my intended route (a damn nuisance if there are several bikes behind). I hopefully can recognise this and correct the error by pressing the 'avoid waypoint' button on the Nav 5 screen.

My question is in two parts -

Firstly, has anyone found a way of similarly skipping a waypoint when using the Connected App?

Secondly, if I ignore a direction and stray from the indicated route, what does the Connected App then do - head for the next waypoint, or return to the route asap?

Somebody with more knowledge will be along to help soon, but i dont think its possible.

On Basecamp you need to zoom in on each waypoint and make sure its on the road... on a wide roads its on the right side too.
i have fell foul of this too, i suppose most have.

The connected app is far better at re-routing than the garmin. You can skip waypoints using the wheel. If for instance you see a fuel station in the distance off your route and you head for it taking you off your inputted route the app will try and put you back on your route as soon as it can, it won't totally reroute you to the next waypoint, well that's what I've found it to do. My only gripe with it is it doesn't do off-road routing, if it did it would be perfect.

I don't use basecamp but when I plan a route on the satnav using waypoints there is an icon you can add to the screen to skip waypoints. I simply skip some of them before I get to them if I think it's going to take me a little off route or, as usually happens, take me to a point on a road then tell me to do a u-turn!

The connected app is far better at re-routing than the garmin. You can skip waypoints using the wheel. If for instance you see a fuel station in the distance off your route and you head for it taking you off your inputted route the app will try and put you back on your route as soon as it can, it won't totally reroute you to the next waypoint, well that's what I've found it to do. My only gripe with it is it doesn't do off-road routing, if it did it would be perfect.

This is basically correct.

Where the recalculation can go wrong (it’s something I pointed out testing a new Beta version) is where you have a loop in the route or where one part of the route runs for a significant distance along the same road twice but in opposite directions.

The Connected app can, under some circumstances, recalculate / redirect you so that you miss the loop out and or get a bit confused if its position cursor isn’t quite sure what side of the road you are on or (in extreme circumstances) which way you are pointing. Of the two, the missing out of loops is probably the most fundamentally annoying. This can be fixed if you put a fixed ‘I must go through this point’ at the top of the loop. Garmin devices are much better at dealing with this problem.

One other weakness, though this is not peculiar to the Connected app on its own. Whilst the app will do its best to bring you back on your bespoke route as soon as possible. Two things can happen:

A. If it was a road closure, the app will often try to turn you back into the closure. Just ignore the instructions and let it keep recalculating.

B. It can reroute you down some very unsuitable goat tracks. I had this in the Belgian Ardennes, where I just thought to myself: “I am not going down THERE!” There being a near vertical mud logging track down into the boondocks.

In short, with A and B you just need to use your common sense, just like anyone using any sat nav. If you can see something better, then take it. A classic example would be “Make a U-turn” when it would be obviously easier to just stay on the road (not turning around) as it leads straight back onto your route. The app (and others) will give the U-turn instruction, as doing so is a yard shorter and therefore ‘quicker’.

Where the app does I think does falter against say a Garmin, is the zooming in and out to use the screen image as a kind of paper map. I think the map quality and zoom ratios are much better on a Garmin. But maybe I am just more used to them.

Don’t though let any of this put you off. Most of the time, the app is very good.

Where the app can score is when you ask it to take you from A to B (ie it chooses the route) as it will often miss out roads that it knows to be closed, say for roadworks. If you are just following a route designed by the app (as opposed to being a bespoke route, you have created) it doesn’t really matter how often or how the route recalculates, as it will always get you to where you want to go.

As many 21st century users will never create a bespoke route in their lives and are, understandably, only too happy to have an app (or a human) do it for them, then recalculation is indeed a gift from the gods.

This is basically correct.

B. It can reroute you down some very unsuitable goat tracks. I had this in the Belgian Ardennes, where I just thought to myself: “I am not going down THERE!” There being a near vertical mud logging track down into the boondocks.

I wish it did that to me!

Sometimes twisty route means muddy fields lol
happened to me once on my CBR, oh we did laugh....well my mate did, as i squirmed my way around in front of him, across farm land parking facing downhill while i open gates every 2 mins.

character building :D

never did use "twisty" again on the tomtom, wasnt what i had in mind.

funnily enough that was heading to the campsite at Dent in pouring rain too :/

You can cancel the route , then open the route again; Navigator displays the waypoints and asks you which one next . Select the one you want . Doesn’t take long .

You can cancel the route , then open the route again; Navigator displays the waypoints and asks you which one next . Select the one you want . Doesn’t take long .

That is the way I used to do it, and if the nav 6 was reliable I would still use it, I think

On any prepared route I have, obviously the start and finish points are waypoints but for anything that is there simply to pull the route to your preference, I make all those shaping points, so if you go near them but not though them ie if the point happens to be on the opposite carriageway, it simply directs you to the next (shaping) point

On any prepared route I have, obviously the start and finish points are waypoints but for anything that is there simply to pull the route to your preference, I make all those shaping points, so if you go near them but not though them ie if the point happens to be on the opposite carriageway, it simply directs you to the next (shaping) point

I do the same on my Mac with basecamp. If using the connect app on the fly I just add a way point to shape the route, haven't tried to drag the route on the app on the phone, will try that.

Nope, can't drag the ribbon across on the app, just have to add another waypoint to create the desired route.

I wish it did that to me!

I have taken some remarkable roads on my 1600, which I am sure that the men in Munich didn’t have in mind when they designed it. But, a mud descent into hell, down something a yard wide?

Back
Top Bottom