K1200RS flat 4 (and GT)

Buckingham

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I'm just rambling I know, but the K1200RS is now looking like quite a lot of bike and although prices are quite low, sales seem slow.

I've had three of these back in the noughties, they were all the very early ones & I had a fair few problems- one particular I remember is the fuel tank vents failing & the plastic tank semi-imploding - first noticed by reduced fuel capacity. I know the later ones had a few subtle improvements over the 1997-2000 bikes, including higher bars and a nicer top fairing design - but they came with servo brakes too, not my favourite feature.

Any thoughts on buying / running a later one, say 2001-2004 ? I'd not fancy doing a clutch job on one of these......

John

Brodie trying to sell his GT has had me thinking as well... I remember the GT from selling a couple and having a demo bike. I liked the very solid feel and the engine even if it was a bit limited by the weight. The K12's were never big sellers in the SW but I seem to remember they sold well in the SE and Europe. I have an RTLC at present and this is probably a natural successor to the K's as its fairly un boxer like. At a probable £6+k difference in price a decent GT at £1750 seems amazing value and probably not a million miles away to ride a long distance...

I do remember they were very tyre specific for handling but super stable and even though a bit weezy when new could get going pretty well... After breaking a couple of earlier K's and seeing a clutch job on a K12 it would be a PIA for DIY but doable as its the break in half technique again like pre 2014 boxers... Here's to a bit of a wondering...:thumb

PS They troubled my tank range check though as 20ish litres barely cut it for a big tourer... And if you wound it on they could get a bit thirsty...

Brilliant Bikes

What is most important is that it is not a garage queen

A bike that has been ridden regularly should keep its seals sealing whereas one that sits for long times can rip the seal

Easy solution replace BMW membrane type seal for a standard Double lip seal!

There is Nothing terribly huge about a clutch job, its being methodical and cleaning and NOT just battering everything!!

Its when the alternator bolt breaks!!!!! LINKY`

Ha ha...:D Your link certainly puts Boxer Maintenace in focus...;)

I have a 1999, T registered. Bought new from Rainbow M/C's back in the day. Now on about 36k miles. 23 years ownership! I've barely used it in the last 8 years because (1) I have other bikes - using my GS and V85TT more; and (2) I find the ADV style bike more comfy now my knees and hips are getting stiffer!

The K1200RS is an awesome missile. Not crazy-fast as such, but an awesome A-road bike. In it's domain, it's a very easy bike to ride quickly. With so much low-down torque, 40-90 mph can all be done in top. Last time I tried a 40mph top-gear-roll-on against a 1200GS, the K12 picked up it's panniers and disappeared, leaving the twin cylinder bike wheezing in the wake.

It's not a town bike for me, as at low speeds it puts a lot of weight on the wrists, but that disappears once rolling properly.

Mine's been on 4 Euro trips, including as far as Croatia.

Build quality is exceptional, much better than my 2018 R1200GS. They were made by Engineers, not purchasing and accounting departments. It still looks great:
normal_IMG_20210316_143621.jpg

A couple of years ago I sent my suspension to Denz0, and that transformed the already-good handling.

I'll also be putting mine up for sale in Spring. I'm planning to move house in the next couple of years, and just no point hanging on to it. In the past, every time I cleaned it up and MOT'd it planning to sell, I just could not bring myself to part with it!

Mine's been reliable thus far, but it's been well-maintained and well-treated...

I have a 1999, T registered. Bought new from Rainbow M/C's back in the day. Now on about 36k miles. 23 years ownership! I've barely used it in the last 8 years because (1) I have other bikes - using my GS and V85TT more; and (2) I find the ADV style bike more comfy now my knees and hips are getting stiffer!

The K1200RS is an awesome missile. Not crazy-fast as such, but an awesome A-road bike. In it's domain, it's a very easy bike to ride quickly. With so much low-down torque, 40-90 mph can all be done in top. Last time I tried a 40mph top-gear-roll-on against a 1200GS, the K12 picked up it's panniers and disappeared, leaving the twin cylinder bike wheezing in the wake.

It's not a town bike for me, as at low speeds it puts a lot of weight on the wrists, but that disappears once rolling properly.

Mine's been on 4 Euro trips, including as far as Croatia.

Build quality is exceptional, much better than my 2018 R1200GS. They were made by Engineers, not purchasing and accounting departments. It still looks great:

A couple of years ago I sent my suspension to Denz0, and that transformed the already-good handling.

I'll also be putting mine up for sale in Spring. I'm planning to move house in the next couple of years, and just no point hanging on to it. In the past, every time I cleaned it up and MOT'd it planning to sell, I just could not bring myself to part with it!

Mine's been reliable thus far, but it's been well-maintained and well-treated...

So has that survived on the original clutch Martin, with no oil leaks ?

The last one that I did the clutch on was a 99 and had 117,500 ish miles and was still good and never gave any bother "Except" that it would "slip" when it was warmed on and you tried to push it from about 70 onwards in top

I told the bloke it must have been an Experimental Model as it had a wet clutch!!

Honestly I think I drained about 2 and a half litres of engine oil from the flywheel / clutch housing

And Honestly it behaved perfectly except when warm and you tried to punch it past someone :aidan

I suspect if it had been fully synth it would have been slipping all the time :green gri

Was serviced in Rainbow for years and Years and was a Long distance Despatch riders bike

Never had a clutch according to the records and had "just" shy of 6mm on the clutch plate material :rob

I’ve got to admit that I’ve been thinking of buying an older K for my planned ride around Eastern Europe next year because you can get a lot of bike for your money and they just eat miles for fun. I did loads of miles on my old K1100RS and apart from a minor problem with the front master cylinder blowing a seal when I was in Hungary it never faltered.

So. Clutch original, and all the ABS intact and working perfectly (it's ABS2 with no servo).

I did have a wee oil weep at the front of the engine (cam chain cover) but I fixed that a couple of years ago. Whilst I was in I checked the valves, and still perfect.

Here's me doing the oil leak and valve check
normal_sealey%20k12.jpg

I’ve got to admit that I’ve been thinking of buying an older K for my planned ride around Eastern Europe next year because you can get a lot of bike for your money and they just eat miles for fun. I did loads of miles on my old K1100RS and apart from a minor problem with the front master cylinder blowing a seal when I was in Hungary it never faltered.

Andy - you are welcome to pop over and look at my K1200RS. No pressure to buy mine, but you're welcome to pop over and tyre-kick...
I'll put a fresh MOT on it for the new season in Spring 2023 and post it up for sale then

I upgraded from a K1100RS back in 1999. The K11 was great too, but lacked the handling and power of the 1200 IMO

I doubt there's many one-owner ones out there after 23 years! I was thinking I can join the Classic Bike stuff in just 2 years :)

They are a stonking bike and the jump in Handling from an 1100 to the 1200 Is just night and Day

provided you have decent shocks and tyres (at the right pressure)

Andy - you are welcome to pop over and look at my K1200RS. No pressure to buy mine, but you're welcome to pop over and tyre-kick...
I'll put a fresh MOT on it for the new season in Spring 2023 and post it up for sale then

I upgraded from a K1100RS back in 1999. The K11 was great too, but lacked the handling and power of the 1200 IMO

I doubt there's many one-owner ones out there after 23 years! I was thinking I can join the Classic Bike stuff in just 2 years :)

I might just do that, you’re less than one hour from me and it’s always worth a look.

I’ll be away on the NL/German border from January until late March then Israel almost immediately after that but if I’ve seen the bike and like it I can always pm you when you put it up for sale.

They are a stonking bike and the jump in Handling from an 1100 to the 1200 Is just night and Day

provided you have decent shocks and tyres (at the right pressure)

Strangely enough I was never worried by the handling on the 1100 and thinking back my only real gripe was the ridiculous top box that opened from the forward side of the bike and until I stopped the nut on the inside of the lock coming loose it used to pop open and throw things at anyone behind me :D

Strangely enough I was never worried by the handling on the 1100 and thinking back my only real gripe was the ridiculous top box that opened from the forward side of the bike and until I stopped the nut on the inside of the lock coming loose it used to pop open and throw things at anyone behind me :D

Btw, 1997>2001 KRS did not have servo brakes. Mid year 2001 on, a few yrs did have servo brakes but were dropped for non servo as they had problems especially if not replenished thru thru abs module.

Btw, 1997>2001 KRS did not have servo brakes. Mid year 2001 on, a few yrs did have servo brakes but were dropped for non servo as they had problems especially if not replenished thru thru abs module.

ABS 2 till around 2000 Ish

Servo from then on

Servo was not dropped (You could order non ABS as people were getting wise to their issues) They still had servo ABS fitted even when they became transverse engined K1200

Until all the servo systems were replaced with a more conventional 2 channel non servo ABS system but still linked

I'm just rambling I know, but the K1200RS is now looking like quite a lot of bike and although prices are quite low, sales seem slow.

I've had three of these back in the noughties,

I had three as well. Last one was in 2000 metallic blue/silver, I recon the best colour combination. Strangely nostalgia for one of these is strong. But than I remember how heavy it was 270/280kg. Strangely I never had any problems with any of the bikes, never been attracted to the GT. Prices are weak £2000-2750. This one with 5500 miles seems expensive at £3700. https://www.carandclassic.com/car/C1492896

I had three as well. Last one was in 2000 metallic blue/silver, I recon the best colour combination. Strangely nostalgia for one of these is strong. But than I remember how heavy it was 270/280kg. Strangely I never had any problems with any of the bikes, never been attracted to the GT. Prices are weak £2000-2750. This one with 5500 miles seems expensive at £3700. https://www.carandclassic.com/car/C1492896

Since Brodie put his up I have been drawn back to them after not having ridden one for 20 years and after over 10 years since the last K1100... What appeals is the bikes capabilities and the sort of riding i have been doing are more aligned than they were then... Like you say, weak prices, which is part of the appeal for a very soild long distance slogger and usually good specs if you don't like the latest TFT/wonderwheel bling which is fun but not essential... That C&C one just playing on the mileage which conversely, like so many BM's of that age, can be a weakness...

That C&C one just playing on the mileage which conversely, like so many BM's of that age, can be a weakness...
??? Maybe I read that wrong :blast #BrainFogEvening very tired !

Certainly Not I have to disagree! I believe the modern bikes have been compromised on materials and coating quality and cheap components from far off lands The older versions are much more Durable

Any well looked after 1150 or K1200 Longitudinal engine will far out last the modern counterparts

If I recall Hanks 1100 GS has not had any engine work (BUT I may be wrong) It has had final drives and transmissions @440K miles

Many of my customers through the years have presented me with very abused Bikes with 100 K plus on them and fair enough it took a wee bit of Elbow Grease but the were always fixable with a bit of attention to detail

??? Maybe I read that wrong :blast #BrainFogEvening very tired !

Certainly Not I have to disagree! I believe the modern bikes have been compromised on materials and coating quality and cheap components from far off lands The older versions are much more Durable

Any well looked after 1150 or K1200 Longitudinal engine will far out last the modern counterparts

If I recall Hanks 1100 GS has not had any engine work (BUT I may be wrong) It has had final drives and transmissions @440K miles

Many of my customers through the years have presented me with very abused Bikes with 100 K plus on them and fair enough it took a wee bit of Elbow Grease but the were always fixable with a bit of attention to detail
Too much Christmas...:) What I meant was what you've said before is that on pre hex, TC and LC BMS low mileage can cause more probs when you start using them properly... Seals etc... I've seen it and you'll have seen tons of boxers and is with dry seals, oil on clutch, seized brakes etc... Like ST11s high mileage is really almost a good thing for usability and reliability...;)

I remember following one on a pipe n slippers club run in the noughties. We rode through Glenshee down to Braemar and crikey that bike could shift! :thumb2

Back
Top Bottom