HJC helmets any good?

steadysteve

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Looking for a new helmet that is flip front, has an integral sun visor, also needs a removable peak so it can be used for trail riding and road riding on a sports tourer.
One of the HJC models seems to fit the bill as they supply it with blanking plates to fit over the peak mounting points when the peak is removed.

I’ve never used a HJC lid before but had a look at one yesterday. The quality and finish seems okay. They’ve never been on my radar but my local supplier says they are the biggest manufacturer in the world.

I’ve always had Shoei and Shark helmets so any info on HJC appreciated. Any comparison on fitment with Shoei and Shark shaped heads would be useful.
Tried a medium size one but need an XL to get a proper idea.
Thanks

I have a Shoei XR1100 full face, Neotec flip soon to be retired and a new Neotec 2 waiting to be put into service.

Triumph is big into HJC. Their own brand helmets are rebadged HJC and the dealers stock other HJC models. I tried almost every helmet in the range a while ago when I owned an Explorer. I came to the conclusion I do not have a HJC shaped head.

Like any helmet purchase, make sure that XL fits properly. As far as quality goes, the Triumph and HJC helmets looked good quality and pretty good prices compared to Arai & Shoei.

I went from a couple of Shoeis to a HJC RPHA 70

The quality is pretty good, maybe slightly behind Shoei

I find the shape very similar, the HJC is at least as comfortable as my GT Air and definitely a fair bit quieter

The HJC also feels lighter, don’t know if it actually is

The only fault I’ve found with it is that it’s very prone to steaming up my glasses, apart from that I’m very pleased with it

I have a Shoei XR1100 full face, Neotec flip soon to be retired and a new Neotec 2 waiting to be put into service.

Triumph is big into HJC. Their own brand helmets are rebadged HJC and the dealers stock other HJC models. I tried almost every helmet in the range a while ago when I owned an Explorer. I came to the conclusion I do not have a HJC shaped head.

Like any helmet purchase, make sure that XL fits properly. As far as quality goes, the Triumph and HJC helmets looked good quality and pretty good prices compared to Arai & Shoei.

Yeah the guy said they do a lot of re-badged helmets for various companies.
Cheers.

I went from a couple of Shoeis to a HJC RPHA 70

The quality is pretty good, maybe slightly behind Shoei

I find the shape very similar, the HJC is at least as comfortable as my GT Air and definitely a fair bit quieter

The HJC also feels lighter, don’t know if it actually is

The only fault I’ve found with it is that it’s very prone to steaming up my glasses, apart from that I’m very pleased with it

Good to know the shape is similar.
It felt light and the salesman reckons they are good from a quietness pov.

I wondered about the ventilation and glasses steaming up as I sometimes found it a problem at slower speeds with my Neotec and Shark Ridill.
The first notch on the HJC visor seemed to be very wide, probably 2-3cms, which I consider too wide when you only want a little bit of air coming in to keep the visor clear.
Thanks for he info.

We have RHPA 90’s very good quality helmets, I had Shoeis previously but after getting a RHPA11 on a special offer and being impressed with it I decided to stick with HJC when I wanted a flip front lid.

Al.

Good to know the shape is similar.
It felt light and the salesman reckons they are good from a quietness pov.

I wondered about the ventilation and glasses steaming up as I sometimes found it a problem at slower speeds with my Neotec and Shark Ridill.
The first notch on the HJC visor seemed to be very wide, probably 2-3cms, which I consider too wide when you only want a little bit of air coming in to keep the visor clear.
Thanks for he info.

Just remembered,

It felt very tight when I first got it, the hole you stick your head through seems too small, but it broke in very quickly and painlessly, the first week I had it I did a week in Italy and it was all day comfy straight away

There is a two part chin curtain, you can remove half of it if you like as I have, the other half is fixed. I think this is partly what makes it so quiet but also contributes to the steaming up

I’ve had my RPHA 90 for coming up to 3 years. As it was my first flip front I had nothing to compare it to at the time. I’ve recently added a Neotec 2, so can compare the two. And there’s very little between them. Both are all day comfy, the Neotec may be a tad more plush. Similar noise levels. The visor on the HJC is easier to remove and clean. My HJC is a large, the Neotec a medium. If they were the same price I’d probably go for the Neotec. If I hadn’t got the Neotec I’d be quite happy with the HJC, it’s very good.

My Mrs had one for a while, although she had normally bought a Shoei or Arai. Shape/fit OK, but she found it slightly but annoyingly itchy at times, so not all day comfortable, which meant it ended up only being used for short local jaunts.

The trouble is we are all different, as are our expectations - personally, I stick with Shoei.

In my RPHA 11 and RPHA 90S..... I had to go with XL whereas I take a L in Shoei (Neotec, GT Air II & XR1100)

I think Shoei are a more plush helmet but not too far ahead of the RPHA HJC's

Really easy to get the visors on and off on the HJC as compared to Shoei (I've had many the nervous breakdown trying to get a dark visor back on my GT Air II)

S20 5G sent this......

Tried the xl size today in the C80 Bult. Local dealer ordered one into stock. This ticked all the boxes:- flip front, sun visor, pinlock, removable peak .
Unfortunately it was too tight on the cheek/ chin section. The pads are nice and soft but the shape of the shell itself nipped in too much.
The search continues…

Being a big headed tosser I find the HJC lids have always been a go to for my 64cm bonce.

It fitted fine across the forehead and ears and round the back. I could barely move my jaw though, which was weird because I haven’t exactly got a jawline like David Coulthard.
Guy in the shop told me the it wasn’t available in an XXL size.

It fitted fine across the forehead and ears and round the back. I could barely move my jaw though, which was weird because I haven’t exactly got a jawline like David Coulthard.
Guy in the shop told me the it wasn’t available in an XXL size.

See post #7

Mine seemed quite tight to begin with but became comfortable very quickly

Fabio just signed with HJC

If it's good enough for El Diablo.......

S20 5G sent this......

See post #7

Mine seemed quite tight to begin with but became comfortable very quickly

Hmmm, I did wonder if it would become comfortable but decided it was just a bit too tight initially and therefore wouldn’t bed-in enough.

Fabio just signed with HJC

If it's good enough for El Diablo.......

S20 5G sent this......

Quality did seem good, just wrong shape for my head.

No rush, I ain’t felt like riding a bike since an accident in October. Mojo is still awol

Back
Top Bottom