Best time to buy ?

markymark

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Looking to buy a new bike for next year ;)

Am I likely to get a better deal just before Christmas or leave it until the end of January ?

Any hints or tips greatly appreciated :thumb:thumb:thumb

Ask the dealer… will depend on how their quotas are looking and availability

I’ve bought two new bikes in December, and got great deals… both were in dealer stock.

What model?

Deals only really possible on stock gathering dust in the showroom.

KTM deals are usually Autumn based, clearing the warehouse of current year inventory in my experience. The problem is you tend waste away warranty time, unless you ride all year, as well as impact your consumer rights should there prove to be any major problems.

I guess we can expect 2023 bikes to see prices increased in line with inflation, or thereabouts.

Price rises kick in overnight I believe between 2022/3. Dealers are currently sorting out likely orders and allocation for 2023 so if they have confirmed orders they are more likely to get more allocation. That means that if you are in a position to, putting a deposit down now is likely to be rewarded more than once their allocation has been decided (as an example a dealer offered to agree the price now, regardless of price increase for March delivery).

KTM deals are usually Autumn based, clearing the warehouse of current year inventory in my experience. The problem is you tend waste away warranty time, unless you ride all year, as well as impact your consumer rights should there prove to be any major problems..

But if you buy in April you "Waste" the last six months of your warranty unless you ride all year round, but you also get an "older" plate than you would by waiting until spring - and may not ever get to show off riding that is obviously a brand spanking bike around (not that that ever bothered me)

I got £3k of my 1190 buying it in June 2016 (leftover 15 model) and £3k off my 1290 buying it around October 2018, generally a lot of deals turn up late in the year, not just KTM but all manufacturers with a load of leftover stock to shift do deals, discounts / free luggage / deposit guarantees / 0% finance etc etc

My understanding is there has not been much stock for many models since COVID / Ukraine crisis so I would expect fewer deals, and the deals that are around may not be as good as in the past.

Certainly do not buy a 22 model without a half decent discount as may as wel wait for the 23's - although they could be announced with a price rise, making a slightly discounted 22 even better value.

The other thing to consider is changes, when I bought my 1190 there was no difference between the 15 and 16 models (colours where event he same) when I bought my 1290 the only difference between 18 and 19 was colours, and I preferred the 18 colours anyway, but again it instantly "ages" the bike a bit.

I would consider 10% off list price a good deal these days, whereas my last 4 new bikes (over 15 year period) were 20% plus (2 KTM's / 1 Yamaha / 1 Kawasaki)

I was told by a ktm dealer this week that they are expecting a 5 percent rise across the board

Strange. I got mine with tech pack last month for £10495 and they’ve taken £500 off since.

Good luck!

J

Here you go Mark

You can view the ad at NEW KTM 890 ADVENTURE SAVE £1450 ON RRP Free Tech Pack Included

I found this on gumtree. Think it’s Glasgow dealer

Jim

Cheers Jim I got a quote from Portmans regarding their last orange one in stock, I'll let the excitement of the new model releases settle & pick a 22 model up at the end of January, can't justify it this side of Christmas ;)

Cheers Jim I got a quote from Portmans regarding their last orange one in stock, I'll let the excitement of the new model releases settle & pick a 22 model up at the end of January, can't justify it this side of Christmas ;)

No probs Mark.

Have a good one and see you out there one day

Jim

If it's a 1290 SAS then now might be good as KTM have just launched their two new colour schemes for next year, you may get a deal on 2021/2022 colour.

Back
Top Bottom