BMW 1150GS Adventure, top box question / sanity check

Hi JB

Finally found a thread so the definitive answer and tested by owners on UKGSER

https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showt...nting?highlight=BMW+1150+gs+adventure+top+box

For all those looking at this in the future, you want a Givi top box plate “E251”

Hence that’s the one I’ll be ordering.

Have someone interested on the bike but both of us are 50:50 I think. I would love the extra power of the 2010-2012 GSA (last of the oils heads) but I would not love the bills related to owning one whenever it’s mechanics fail, which seems far more often than the 1150. Yes yes 1-2 owners never had any issues, but you only have to start looking at adverts and invariably everyone has done a host of gearboxes / final drive / starter motors / insert here the many 1200 GS issues.

Hence the thinking to stick to my trusty 1150GSA.

Although the extra power of the 2010-2012 GSA would be nice. Arghhhhhh!

Never had any trouble with my 2012 R1200GSA in the 48,000 miles I had it, but I’ve never had any mechanical issues with the 2001 R1150GS either in 115,000 miles. R1150GS is still in the garage, next to the KTM 1290 SAS the GSA was traded in against.

I have a spare 1150 Adventure top box mount and a top box. The plastic lock that holds the box on the mount plate is broken so needs replacement. If someone in Ireland is interested it's in Dublin. If you are in UK and not in a hurry then I can probably get my daughter to take it back to her home in Wales after the Christmas holidays. It won't be expensive :). If you want pictures whatsapp me on +353 eight six three four six seven two five one.

I have a spare 1150 Adventure top box mount and a top box. The plastic lock that holds the box on the mount plate is broken so needs replacement. If someone in Ireland is interested it's in Dublin. If you are in UK and not in a hurry then I can probably get my daughter to take it back to her home in Wales after the Christmas holidays. It won't be expensive :).

Nando here wants one

I have a spare 1150 Adventure top box mount and a top box. The plastic lock that holds the box on the mount plate is broken so needs replacement. If someone in Ireland is interested it's in Dublin. If you are in UK and not in a hurry then I can probably get my daughter to take it back to her home in Wales after the Christmas holidays. It won't be expensive :). If you want pictures whatsapp me on +353 eight six three four six seven two five one.

Thanks Luke

Will get in contact, even though it’s broken, hopefully there’s a way to fix it!

Rgds
N

Thanks JB

Will WhatsApp Luke. May the Force be with him… :p

One tiny issue - WhatsApp is saying this number is not on WhatsApp!!!

Private message each other to swap numbers

Annnnnnnd to close off this thread…

Ebay strikes again as my (secretly) favourite app!

While trawling through for family Christmas presents, decided to have a look for GSA top boxes / plates and voila! Found one!

Did a “buy it now” straight away and on its way. So my GSA now receives the final part of the puzzle, a clean OEM alu top box and rack (including all the kit to add plate to the bike)

Couldn’t ask for more and a great Christmas present for myself.

Thanks for all the help & advice here. In the end, patience and ebay sorted the issue in the end.

Attachments

• D032C4E2-6701-4415-AFF2-71DED2CF0E67.jpeg
    D032C4E2-6701-4415-AFF2-71DED2CF0E67.jpeg
    239.4 KB · Views: 94
Mine wasn't war torn :aidan it just had a broken clasp.

Agreed yours was ok

Just needed £125 in parts, some of which weren’t readily available. Then needed 4 x rivets taken out (without damaging the top box) and 4 new ones put on… then need to find the screw kit for the top plate.

I was happy to do it to be fair, but I got this top box / top plate at a great price and is near new so it was the easiest option as it had absolutely everything with it, including all screws etc plus key barrel ready to be fit to my ignition key.

However, I did get someone contacting me offline and I’ll put them your way if they are still interested in getting a top box.

Ebay strikes again as my (secretly) favourite app!

While trawling through for family Christmas presents, decided to have a look for GSA top boxes / plates and voila! Found one!

Did a “buy it now” straight away and on its way. So my GSA now receives the final part of the puzzle, a clean OEM alu top box and rack (including all the kit to add plate to the bike)

Couldn’t ask for more and a great Christmas present for myself.

Thanks for all the help & advice here. In the end, patience and ebay sorted the issue in the end.

The box is now on my 1150GSA… ready to stay there for the rest of its long life! Fairly easy job, takes ages when I do it as I’m not a natural mechanic and every bolt I take out, before it goes back the bolt gets cleaned and greased.

Looking super and ready for my commuting no longer needing some faffing around with a seat bag

Attachments

• B5710EBC-4913-46C6-8EEB-7D78709EDB75.jpg
    B5710EBC-4913-46C6-8EEB-7D78709EDB75.jpg
    262.7 KB · Views: 31
  • 6240F829-018A-4828-AF25-F3ECB6668423.jpg
    6240F829-018A-4828-AF25-F3ECB6668423.jpg
    246.3 KB · Views: 31
  • 97F56156-EBFA-4F03-AB40-DC3D130EFB90.jpg
    97F56156-EBFA-4F03-AB40-DC3D130EFB90.jpg
    237.2 KB · Views: 30
How it looks now…

Attachments