Right hand cylinder top end noise

Combine man

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
2014 1200 lc,with 17000 miles on it on
start up engine is quiet,by the time running temp is reached there is a tapping noise from the r/h cylinder. Valve clearances are OK,and a new chain tensioner fitted to no avail.
I have read in an earlier post about a new type tensioner,recognised by a 19mm nut as against the 17mm nut of the earlier one,has anyone fitted the later tensioner to the earlier 1200 engine. It sounds to me like a loose tappet,but we know they are correct.
Engine starts and pulls well, seems odd as most reports I have read concerned the l/h cylinder,any experience of this on the r/h cylinder would be appreciated.

If the tapping is only noticeable on a warm tickover, then I suspect it could be the decompressor on the exhaust cam. Annoying but not catastrophic.

Some bikes of that era suffered with premature cam wear too, so it may be worth running the problem past your local dealer first, if you haven't already.

If the tapping is only noticeable on a warm tickover, then I suspect it could be the decompressor on the exhaust cam. Annoying but not catastrophic.

Some bikes of that era suffered with premature cam wear too, so it may be worth running the problem past your local dealer first, if you haven't already.

Thanks for the reply,dealer has checked components for wear whilst checking clearance and fitting tensioner,the noise can be heard at low speeds.
Checked spec of tensioner spring,should be 70mm free length from new,my one was 67mm free length.

CTT noise tends to show on a cold start, which suggests to me this tapping noise to which you refer is coming from elsewhere.

As I understand it, the decompressor is not a service item, so rectification involves replacement of the affected exhaust camshaft. Has your dealer considered this prospect?

Searching the forum suggests all manner of other possibilities, as you probably know, from loose valve guides to big end failures - maybe tactical use of a stethoscope might tie it down the source of the noise.

If the oil used in the wet heads wasn’t as thin as piss by design, the bloody engines might run a bit quieter.

CTT noise tends to show on a cold start, which suggests to me this tapping noise to which you refer is coming from elsewhere.

As I understand it, the decompressor is not a service item, so rectification involves replacement of the affected exhaust camshaft. Has your dealer considered this prospect?

Searching the forum suggests all manner of other possibilities, as you probably know, from loose valve guides to big end failures - maybe tactical use of a stethoscope might tie it down the source of the noise.

I am going to talk to the dealer this week, I have spent time having a good listen, and using a screwdriver against the head in various places and I reckon it comes from the top r/h side of the head.
Thanks for your input,

I will follow this with interest, I have this issue.
My bike- 2017 40,000mls. The 36,000 valve check service was carried out at the dealer, it made no difference to noise level.
I replaced the CCT, no difference. I then dropped two litres of oil out and replaced it with 10/50w, that did make a difference in quietening it down, after a couple of thousand miles it seems to be back.
Apart from this issue, the bike is running really well.

My 2019 1250 Shift-Cam GSA seems noisiest from the clutch basket area.

A new improved type LH camchain tensioner has quietened the engine considerably but it is still a bag of nails at 15k IMO, my old Hexhead was much quieter.

I will follow this with interest, I have this issue.
My bike- 2017 40,000mls. The 36,000 valve check service was carried out at the dealer, it made no difference to noise level.
I replaced the CCT, no difference. I then dropped two litres of oil out and replaced it with 10/50w, that did make a difference in quietening it down, after a couple of thousand miles it seems to be back.
Apart from this issue, the bike is running really well.

hmmm,,, thats interesting,,i wonder if changing the whole oil rather than just half of it ,, with maybe a 5w50 would be a good idea ??
something like this perhaps, should be ok, its rated jaso ma2
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/265541462677

I’m no expert but I think the oil in the LC boxers is piss thin to allow it to get around the motor as quickly as possible from a cold start,

I’d avoid using thicker oil for the sake of the wet clutch

Yes they sound like absolute shit when they’re not under load :nod

I’m no expert but I think the oil in the LC boxers is piss thin to allow it to get around the motor as quickly as possible from a cold start,

I’d avoid using thicker oil for the sake of the wet clutch

Yes they sound like absolute shit when they’re not under load :nod

I agree viscosity of oils is chosen for a reason,and most oils are non compatible with each other,especially synthetic and non synthetic oils.
Sounds to me that a noisy engine is not unusual for these machines,as I previously wrote my old 1150 with about 70k on the clock was as quiet as you'd ever want.
Will monitor going forward and try to pin point the noise more accurately, and discuss further with Dealer,who are keen to help get it sorted, probably van live with it,just concerned damage is being done.

Back
Top Bottom