Wunderlich Heated Low Seat

doctorfrank

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Has anyone any reviews or bought one of these and an tell me if it is comfier that the OEM

I bought and fitted the Wunderlich Heated Low Seat to my 2019 R1250GS (I have the seat where you have to add the wiring as the 2019 GS didn't have heated seats as an option (like they do now)) - part number WUN-42720-201 https://www.nippynormans.com/r1200g...s-lcadv-lc-r1250gsadventure-heated-low-height

So is it comfier than OEM - and by that I guess you mean comfier than the OEM low seat. In short, for me, yes. When I first got it, I thought (compared to the OEM seat) that it seemed rather hard, however, having covered 1800 miles in one week doing the Wild Atlantic Way earlier this year, I have to say that at no time did I feel any discomfort (which I had in the past with the OEM seat giving me a numb posterior) and found it really quite comfortable (admittedly I did also have a Cool Cover over it for the summer); additionally, it does give more support to your lower back (I have 4 disintegrating discs in my lower back, so back support is quite important to me). Just starting to get to use the heated element as the weather deteriorates, and whilst it does indeed get nice and warm, it only has the one heat setting and Wunderlich recommend that you don't use it for more than one hour at a time.

The main downside for me was the placement of the on/off switch (you can download the fitting instructions from the NN site in the link above). TBH I was none too keen on having the switch somewhere where I couldn't see it, mounted by a side panel. So what I did was extend the switch wiring loom a little and mounted the switch up next to my USB point on the dashboard, using some of that super sticky double side tape they advertise on eBay. That way I can easily get to it whilst riding and can see if the seat heating on or off (the switch is illuminated). That aside the wiring was actually pretty straight forward. Picture 3 is where I've mounted the switch (the red button not the green one)

One other downside is that if you continue to use the OEM rear seat, if you have it in the rear mounted position, there is a bit of a gap between the front and the rear seat. I generally always have the rear OEM seat in the front position (the missus prefers that) so that's not an issue - but just so you are aware. See pictures for what I mean - first picture shows it fitted to my GS with the rear OEM seat in the forward position, second picture a more close up of the gap with the rear seat in the rear position, fourth picture of the gap with the rear seat in the forward position (apparently the matching Wunderlich rear set resolves this, however, it's not cheap and the boss on the back is happy with the OEM seat)

So in answer to your question - is it comfortable - for me it is and I'd certainly buy another.

Attachments

• IMG_8396.jpg
    IMG_8396.jpg
    173.6 KB · Views: 242
  • IMG_8398.jpg
    IMG_8398.jpg
    155.6 KB · Views: 239
  • IMG_8399.jpg
    IMG_8399.jpg
    156 KB · Views: 238
  • IMG_8509.jpg
    IMG_8509.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 234
So am I right in thinking that as mine has seat heating as std the wunderlich heated plug n play seat will fit straight on and I don’t have to fanny about wiring a switch up for it ?

I have the non heated low, its brilliant, I am unsure where the "low" part comes in as it feels the same height, but brilliantly comfortable and really well made.

IMO any aftermarket seat is better than the squidgy turd of a seat that BMW provide as stock.

I can't vouch for the Wunderlich however I bought a used Sargent heated seat for my 1250GSA and it is both comfortable and supportive unlike the stock seat and the heating element is so good I am now retrofitting a heater kit to my commuter Tmax scooter.

Never had a heated motorcycle seat before, I was skeptical but now I'm a big fan.

DO NOT ALLOW FERRY COMPANIES TO STRAP ACROSS A HEATED SEAT. LIFT THE SEAT AND STRAP ACROSS THE FRAME RAILS BENEATH.

(I had to repair my heated seat as it had two element wire breaks where it had been strapped down on a ferry or similar whilst under the previous owner.)

Back
Top Bottom