R80 RT trying to solve a mystery

Ray R80RT

Reaction score
Hello,

A bit of a VIN/reg mystery - any ideas?

Back in June, I bought what used to be my dream bike, but couldn't afford it back in the day. Anyway, I spent ages recommissioning and getting it just right and spending hard earned cash. I took it for an MOT and the inspector, couldn't find the bike on the system even though I had a logbook in my name. Initially I thought it must have been nicked, but a quick phone call to DVLA showed that the bike was legal, but that the VIN number did not match the reg and the DVLA then started an investigation (2 months ago)

Last week, the conclusion from DVLA was to declare the bike VOID. I need to get it re registered with a new vin number and take it for a MSRA test to allow it on uk roads. It will then be given a new age related plate. Gutted. My learning is always check the VIN number with DVLA before buying a vehicle and not to trust the log book. ItÂ’s a process I guess

Today, I stamped a new VIN plate, with the new number issued by DVLA. Next week I will take it to a VOSA centre for a MSRA test. It is a right pain. I can only assume that the bike was rebuilt in 1992/93 (it was last used/taxed in 93), I have managed to trace three different bikes in this one machine. The engine no show that it was originally manufactured in 1989 and the chassis in 1991. I attach a pic here of the bike the day it was collected in an unrestored state. I'd be very interested in any wisdom others may have about the authenticity of this bike. Does everything look right for a R80RT monolever?

Many thanks, Ray

https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=1178525829381257&set=gm.5528718497205522&idorvanity=130607070350052

Sorry to hear about your woes, Ray! A lesson indeed and many thanks for posting. I can only wish you many happy dayso f riding, once you get the bike on the road. As to your question: it's a non standard colour. Other than that, I can see anything that would set alarms ringing.

Stable doors and bolting horses etc: It's a great pity you didn't subscribe to this site and use it to find a bike. *Touch wood* - It's just not the kind of site where that kind of thing happens. I've certainly never heard of anything like your experience in all my years as a subscriber.

Thanks Pete, I'm looking forward to that day too. Any idea about the colour, I dont think it has been resprayed. Do you think it was from a different model?

Cheers Ray

They have identified the vin, but because it has been rebuilt from different bikes they say it needs a new vin. They will give me an age related plate when it is done.

Thanks Pete, I'm looking forward to that day too. Any idea about the colour, I dont think it has been resprayed. Do you think it was from a different model?

Cheers Ray

Other folks will know more than I but I reckon it's a respray. The colour is close to one used on early oilheads: the R1100RS.I've not seen anything like that colour on any airhead BMW. You can check historic colour schemes on the BM bikes site http://www.bmbikes.co.uk/colourschemes.htm

Where in Scotland are you?

Other folks will know more than I but I reckon it's a respray. The colour is close to one used on early oilheads: the R1100RS.I've not seen anything like that colour on any airhead BMW. You can check historic colour schemes on the BM bikes site http://www.bmbikes.co.uk/colourschemes.htm

Where in Scotland are you?

Thanks Pete, Thats a really useful link. I have wanted to find the paint code. I can see from your link that it is called Turquoise Green and was actually a R80RT colour, but clearly not than popular,

The Scottish Borders & you?

They have identified the vin, but because it has been rebuilt from different bikes they say it needs a new vin. They will give me an age related plate when it is done.

The only evidence to base that decision on is the engine number which is not linked to the frame number at that year. These bikes are all modular, you take a rusty rear subframe off and replace it with a better one, like the forks, tank, fairing, seat, mudguards, wheels etc. Most of the older bikes round here are made from parts from other bikes. But if a previous owner changed the frame over without telling DVLA, you have a crime. I still believe the frame VIN is unique and has an identity - unless there is another bike out there with the same number - then you have another crime!

I've been through an MSVA before - the 2 guys in Southampton (now closed) took one look at my bike before I got it off the trailer and said "that'll never pass". So I offered to shove it where their sun didn't shine; how dare they lure me all that way, with no guidance on how to present the bike, only to upset me before I got out of my car. They got a bit more defensive and conciliatory after that but gave me a long list of things to put right. Tyres need to have all the European marks on them, load rating etc. Silencers need the manufacturer's Euro compliance stamps. The emissions needed to be within spec. I had to buy mirrors, indicators, solve some sharp-edges (front mudguard, end of the brake/clutch lever had to be 14mm diameter, the brakes needed to be effective on a dyno (I had to sit on it for that test)). Loads of other stuff - including a working security device fastened to the bike (does your steering lock work?). After I did all the mods and took it back and it finally passed, I got my VIN number. And a Q plate. I then took all the modern shite off (bike was a 1960 CJ750) and rode it, but my heart had been broken; the DVLA sucked all the passion out of ownership, like Harry Potter's Dementors. I sold it after a few months. DVLA are not on your side.

Coo, that came out like a seeping wound! It was 12 years ago, I'm over it. But be very wary of the MSVA (Motorcycle Single Vehicle Approval). They will test to the latest standards, not those of 30 years ago. Hence my advice to get a letter from BMW archives.

A while ago I checked the status of.my bonneville on the DVLA site. It said it didn't exist, I called dvlaand was told if there is nothing done paperwork wise for a few years some bike "fall off" the computer system but they are still on DVLA.
He also said that at one time they employed lots of students to transfer info onto the system and they frequently screwed it up but the DVLA didn't care about putting them right.

I would question the statement ‘ the DVLA aren’t on your side’. They are bombarded with scammers, thieves and chancers trying to get dodgy vehicles registered and thus are ultra cautious. If you’re honest as the day is long you might feel aggrieved at being treated harshly but think how we’d all feel if it was easy to get stolen or otherwise ‘rung’ bikes re registered.

Thanks Pete, Thats a really useful link. I have wanted to find the paint code. I can see from your link that it is called Turquoise Green and was actually a R80RT colour, but clearly not than popular,

The Scottish Borders & you?

See my info panel. Can I suggest you join the BM riders forum? There are several very well informed airhead guys on that. https://www.bmridersclub.com/forumpage.htm

I would question the statement ‘ the DVLA aren’t on your side’.

I have been vary wary of them since they made me a criminal (fined me) for not SORNing my MG in the year they made up that legislation (yes, they make up laws by themselves). My MG was perfectly legal one day and undergoing a bit of maintenance, off the road. I didn't get a reminder for tax, just a fine. Not even a warning. The car never left the garage. Yes, they have to be careful and that's there to protect us all. Happy with that. But they can do that and still not be on your side. 'The path of least resistance' is a phrase that goes to mind.

I won't even mention the merry dance DVLA lead converted-camper van owners on, when trying to re-classify a (converted) van as a motorhome. DVLA had a great guidance document on how to do it, very detailed. At the end of submitting all the documents, they said to me, 'Nah, the Police will think it still looks like a van'. 'But?', I said. 'No one ever gets their van reclassified using this guide', they said. FFS. So every converted camper out there is limited to a max 60mph (like builders vans are) on the motorway and 50 on A roads. Not a lot of people know that. Happy to be proved wrong on that as legislation does move on.

And then there's the time they wouldn't accept an original BMW dating letter which I sent in to get an import registered. They thought it was a photocopy. I had to give them BMW's email and phone numbers in Germany to sort that one out.

I've probably got more stories but, frankly, my opinion of them is mildly, 'they are not on your side'. It's my opinion, you are welcome to yours.

Back
Top Bottom