Sticking Brake Calipers F650 Dakar 2005

RPMDAKAR

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
During a jolly around Wales I experienced a loss of rear brake while descending the Elan Valley dams, nothing major just worrying, it returned by Crossgates and all was well. BUT after it had stood outside for a day or so, I went to move it and found both brakes were binding to such an extent the bike would hardly move, had to release the back brake by prizing the pads apart. Bikes done 80,000 miles and is in fair condition. On the bench yesterday and found the front calipers pistons ceramic seal was broken open on both pistons. Anyone any thoughts, have yet to dismantle the rear caliper as the rear wheel has to come out.

Front brake caliper rebuild

Anyone had this done? If so were you happy with the results?

They want stripping and cleaning!

They work via a sliding calliper on pins .... these seize, sometimes really solid.

BMW don't do overhaul kits (I believe) but the KTM ones do ...

i-n2m3mxD-L.png

Dunno if that's up to date .... but you get my drift :thumb2

:beerjug:

They want stripping and cleaning!

They work via a sliding calliper on pins .... these seize, sometimes really solid.

BMW don't do overhaul kits (I believe) but the KTM ones do ...

i-n2m3mxD-L.png

Dunno if that's up to date .... but you get my drift :thumb2

Yes agree, it's in bits on the bench now, I have a spare caliper so may have that rebuilt for around £65 and fit that, just testing the water to see if anyone had done the same.

The cause of a sticking rear can be misleading on these bikes.

Corrosion behind a nylon bush in the master cylinder can cause swelling which in turn causes the piston to stick to the extent it can melt the rear caliper pistons, warp the disc and set the pads on fire!
Happy days:)

Hopefully yours isn't the master but don't overlook it.

The cause of a sticking rear can be misleading on these bikes.

Corrosion behind a nylon bush in the master cylinder can cause swelling which in turn causes the piston to stick to the extent it can melt the rear caliper pistons, warp the disc and set the pads on fire!
Happy days:)

Hopefully yours isn't the master but don't overlook it.

That happened with Sue's F650GS in Mongolia :eek:

I offered to swop my rear calliper on to her 'bike. She wouldn't hear of it. So I offered not to use my rear brake until we got it sorted. (I'd managed to push the calliper away from the disc)
Going down a steep gravel incline I'm thinking "I need my rear brake here" .... so I used it.Ten seconds later I heard a scream and a bang and down she had gone. No damage, no injury.
Stripped the master cylinder down at the hotel that evening and got it free, but had to be replaced eventually :thumb

That happened with Sue's F650GS in Mongolia :eek:

I offered to swop my rear calliper on to her 'bike. She wouldn't hear of it. So I offered not to use my rear brake until we got it sorted. (I'd managed to push the calliper away from the disc)
Going down a steep gravel incline I'm thinking "I need my rear brake here" .... so I used it.Ten seconds later I heard a scream and a bang and down she had gone. No damage, no injury.
Stripped the master cylinder down at the hotel that evening and got it free, but had to be replaced eventually :thumb

My Goodness, thats exactly what I experienced, looking like a complete overhaul is looming and it's bloody ABS as well!

Back
Top Bottom