Should I get radiator protector covers

Until a stone gets caught between it and the radiator and wears a hole in the radiator. Happened to a friend of mine on a fireblade. :D
Did this unfortunate occurrence happen in one ride? ie, not there when he set off, but lodged and worn through by the end of the ride? If that is the case then indeed unfortunate. If not, how long does he think it was there, wearing away, undiscovered? Seems to me that your friend’s predicament does not make a firm case for not fitting radiator guards.
Alan R

One ride North West of Scotland run from Killin to Rhiconich. Rad repaired in a kind souls garage in Kinlochbervie with epoxy putty. Think it was still there when the bike was traded a couple of years later :)

Well worth looking at the design and fitting method for these things.

Until a stone gets caught between it and the radiator and wears a hole in the radiator. Happened to a friend of mine on a fireblade. :D

Did it? Aye......Your "friend" might want to check his bike a bit more, plus , I would say without this devils work attached , this stone would have got straight through. Pay your money take your chance. I couldn't care less either way. I have them. I won't ride without them.

I had a stone hole the radiator on my old Ducati Multistrada just doing normal road roading.

Ducati wanted £1k for a new radiator.

I managed to find a guy who did micro welding and he fixed it for £50.

Fitted a protective guard the next day. :thumb2

I had a stone hole the radiator on my old Ducati Multistrada just doing normal road roading.

Aren't they the big forward facing curved type, rather than the angled ones fitted to the GS - possibly having a bigger target area?

For me, it's no different than headlight protectors etc.

If I'd have bought both for all my bikes down the years I'd be massively out of pocket, for no benefit - to me.

Probably have a stone ricochet from the headlight down to a radiator tomorrow, breaking both and cost more than I've saved!

BTW, when I was punted off at around 40mph, the headlight was ripped off the bike and had some deep scratches in the lens, but it didn't break - I think they're much stronger than some would have you believe.

Yes my Multistrada had the large curved radiator so more of a target area than the small more hidden ones on a GS but having experienced it once I’d still like to have them protected.

I think I read somewhere that the GS headlight is almost bulletproof so have never considered getting any kind of headlight protection for it and most like pretty naff IMO.

Have rad guards fitted to both the GS and the SV as well. Only a few quid, simple to fit and hopefully will help avoid a repeat of the holed rad I suffered many moons ago.

Fitted Cymarc rad guards to mine. Interestingly my dealer warned that they “might” cause overheating issues. Since I’d just returned from a trip to the Swiss alps and temps were in the high 30’s for two weeks I kept them on!
I think it’s a bit of arse covering from the dealer.

Fitted Cymarc rad guards to mine. Interestingly my dealer warned that they “might” cause overheating issues. Since I’d just returned from a trip to the Swiss alps and temps were in the high 30’s for two weeks I kept them on!
I think it’s a bit of arse covering from the dealer.

That's exactly the stand from the very beginning from the dealers in 2013. And agree, was said to cover them. Shortly after that, My dealer fitted my rad guards. And had them on every bike since. I also had one fitted from new on my 1150 Rad. And the small, but hard hits on that proved over the 14 years I kept it, the rad guard was valid.

I have the plastic guards from BMW. They take 10 minutes to install.
No change in temperature. And i don´t think BMW would sell these as an oem item if they could cause an overheating problem.

Radiator cover is the first mod i do on any bike. Often had it before i got the bike. Agree with some of the previous posts. Evotech guards are excellent.
Check 44Teeth´s S1000R test ride on youtube. It can happen anywhere.

And i don´t think BMW would sell these as an oem item if they could cause an overheating problem.

They didn't sell them or recommend them when the LC was launched in 2013.

You're becoming confused. Its YOUR point !
The 1250 & 1200 Radiators are the same.
You are the one who mentioned the 1250. I've simply pointed out that the bikes are basically the same. SO why mention the 1250?
So........ The dealers initially not selling the radiator guards AND not recommending the radiator covers, because of over heating concerns, is valid now as it was when the Partially water cooled engine was launched in 2013.
Hope that helps ?

You're becoming confused. Its YOUR point !
The 1250 & 1200 Radiators are the same.
You are the one who mentioned the 1250. I've simply pointed out that the bikes are basically the same. SO why mention the 1250?
So........ The dealers initially not selling the radiator covers AND not recommending the radiator covers is valid now as it was when the Partially water cooled engine was launched in 2013.
Hope that helps ?

I see absolutely no point in your posts. My point it that they are useful and will do no harm. Should be pretty easy to understand....for some.
So, do you recommend the guards or not? Would BMW officially market them, if they cause overheating?
I clicked the link "alesupper" put in his first post. It says R1250GS...why mention it?? That´s why��
This is just too wierd.

Apologies, Alesupper. I just wanted to let you know my experiences with the guards.

I see absolutely no point in your posts. My point it that they are useful and will do no harm. Should be pretty easy to understand....for some.
So, do you recommend the guards or not? Would BMW officially market them, if they cause overheating?
I clicked the link "alesupper" put in his first post. It says R1250GS...why mention it?? That´s why��
This is just too wierd.

Agree. Weird. You've posted and I replied.
Read post 53.
You then state the OP states the 1250. I reply that its the same bike. So irrelevant.
If you read back and to answer your question (post 51) . I've had radiator guards on all my BMW GS's since my 1150 purchased in 1999.
So, YES. I do recommended them.

Agree. Weird. You've posted and I replied.
Read post 53.
You then state the OP states the 1250. I reply that its the same bike. So irrelevant.
If you read back and to answer your question (post 51) . I've had radiator guards on all my BMW GS's since my 1150 purchased in 1999.
So, YES. I do recommended them.

Whatever...this is a waste of time.

Back
Top Bottom