Dirty secret revealed

The only problem I have ever had with the alarm is the batteries needing replacement in the dwa unit.
Easy job just two CR123A.
A warning comes up on the dash when necessary.
Great bikes. Enjoy.

That’s worth knowing, I’ll probably reactivate it when I’m away from home and leaving it in hotel car parks. The dealer did say he’d heard several people complain about them so it’s good to hear to the contrary.

No pics Andy ?

Maybe tomorrow. I’d planned to get some taken today but it’s a miserable day where the drive and slabs behind the house have stayed damp yet it hasn’t rained plus I’ve got a filthy cold so can’t be arsed :D

It’s a dark grey 1200 RT, you’ll have seen plenty before and I’d sooner keep warm plus I’ve just started preparing a 40pt batch of IPA homebrew which is always going to take priority :beerjug:

Ouch!

It’s just cost me £75 for a lifetime maps subscription for the Nav IV.

I nearly didn’t bother but decided to go for it rather than mess about buying a new mount for my existing Garmin and it seemed pointless to go for a one off update and save the price of a couple of beers. It took me a while to find a Garmin cable because I was stupid and didn’t look in the obvious place which was the box the Garmin on my Husqvarna came in :blast

Edit: Now I wish I hadn’t bothered because it won’t give me maps of UK and Western Europe in one go. I now need to find out how big an SD card I need then see if I’ve got one or go and buy one.

Ouch!

It’s just cost me £75 for a lifetime maps subscription for the Nav IV.

I nearly didn’t bother but decided to go for it rather than mess about buying a new mount for my existing Garmin and it seemed pointless to go for a one off update and save the price of a couple of beers. It took me a while to find a Garmin cable because I was stupid and didn’t look in the obvious place which was the box the Garmin on my Husqvarna came in :blast

didn't the Nav 4 come with lifetime maps? I thought all Garmins from the Zumo 660 (which is what the 4 is based on) had lifetime maps?

I hope you connected it to the mothership via Garmin Express before spunking up for the maps. They system recognises the serial no. of the device and decides if you are eligible for a free update.

OnLogic-USB-Blog-graphic.jpg

Oh, and there is nowt special about the cable, just a bog standard mini USB-A

didn't the Nav 4 come with lifetime maps? I thought all Garmins from the Zumo 660 (which is what the 4 is based on) had lifetime maps?

I hope you connected it to the mothership via Garmin Express before spunking up for the maps. They system recognises the serial no. of the device and decides if you are eligible for a free update.

Oh, and there is nowt special about the cable, just a bog standard micro USB-B

Nope.

I connected it using Garmin Express and it said “give us money you freeloading wanker” but it didn’t tell me I need to install an SD card or take a laptop on holiday with me. Twats!

Never mind, I’m past the point of no return so I’ll just have to live with the fact that Garmin have pulled my pants down.

In the words of the collective, Garmins are shite. I read it here and Wapping confirmed it

Mine nearly hit the wall less than 5 minutes ago :blast

I’m fed up with the piece of shit so I’ll resume the battle when I’ve got another SD card and found my card reader so I can see if it’s possible for a complete numpty to read the card and know what maps are installed then if necessary load a couple of cards so I’ve got everything I need though it seems ridiculous that a 390 will take everything across Europe but this won’t accept an update of more than one shitty little area at a time.

One of the reasons why I load tomtom on my phone. WORLD maps - no data required and under £20 per year.

Spent to many hours fooking about with garmin and i eam reasonably tech savvy.

I had exactly the same trouble with an older Garmin and after paying Garmin for updates prior to a planned 6k mile trip I found I couldn’t load everything onto the satnav so after numerous attempts to get something that I knew would be easily accessible without any risk of leaving me searching for local paper maps I purchased an SD card with everything I needed pre installed. Problem solved and even though I’d effectively paid twice I set off, found my way everywhere and was a happy little tourist.

I’ve still got that old satnav and I’m now wondering if I should go and find it, remove the disc and see if Garmin will update it via a card reader.

One thing I always do is take a phone holder that I can clip somewhere along with a cable and power source so I’ve got that as a back up but I don’t like bouncing the phone around attached to the bike because I’m a pessimistic Luddite :D

Mine nearly hit the wall less than 5 minutes ago :blast

I’m fed up with the piece of shit so I’ll resume the battle when I’ve got another SD card and found my card reader so I can see if it’s possible for a complete numpty to read the card and know what maps are installed then if necessary load a couple of cards so I’ve got everything I need though it seems ridiculous that a 390 will take everything across Europe but this won’t accept an update of more than one shitty little area at a time.

it's Garmin's way of getting you to upgrade - make the map data so bloaty you eventually run out of memory

I have a 390 which works perfectly but I have to be selective with map tiles as it won't hold all of Europe now. It has all of W.Europe which is fine for now but I would have to bin Iberia if I want to add the Balkans.

it's Garmin's way of getting you to upgrade - make the map data so bloaty you eventually run out of memory

I have a 390 which works perfectly but I have to be selective with map tiles as it won't hold all of Europe now. It has all of W.Europe which is fine for now but I would have to bin Iberia if I want to add the Balkans.

I’ll sort it out tomorrow, if I was happy to spend time at home planning my holidays then I’d be ok but not being able to just head off and wing it as I see fit isn’t possible as things stand so I need to find a solution.

It may be that I can update the maps using hotel Wi-Fi and my iPad mini to suit whatever I want to do and that’ll make things more compatible with my local failure to organise myself or stick to a plan, I’ve got a spare mini that’s got sufficient memory for me to be able to load all sorts of maps and navigation aids and I’ve got all winter to look into the details.

If all else fails I can use my Beeline and get completely lost :D

Is the cruise control some sort of manual device ,I thought they only became a feature with the advent of ride by wire stuff .

Yes, on the pre-LC bikes, the throttle cable routes into a splitter box, acting via a cam which then connects to each throttle body.

Bikes with cruise have an additional cam inside the splitter box, which is activated by an external control box under the fuel tank.

Back
Top Bottom