Dirty secret revealed

AndyB_11

Still waiting
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I’m picking up a 2010 twin cam RT SE next Saturday.

All I need to do now is clear an RT sized hole in the garage and that’s not going to be easy but I’ll find a way.

you could always move one or two of the ornaments into the house. Pierre could sleep on them so they at lease get some use.

you could always move one or two of the ornaments into the house. Pierre could sleep on them so they at lease get some use.

She keeps saying she’s selling the 916 and the GS will be getting an mot then sold.

There’s now a new addition in the garage :beerjug:

First impressions?

Why did I collect it from a dealer 80 miles away on the first day we’ve got up to see frost on the garage roof and car. Well obviously that was to make sure the heated grips and seat worked and they did. The little icon on the instrument panel that tells the rider it’s a bit chilly worked as well :blast

Protection from the fairing was good and I found what was the sweet spot for screen height where I’m looking over it but not getting any wind in my face with my visor up very rapidly.

The engine feels a bit smoother and is certainly more responsive when compared to my 1150 GS but I’d have been a bit sulky if it wasn’t. The cruise control seems far better ergonomically than the last bike I had with cruise which was a 1290 KTM.

The brakes worked. I didn’t need to lump them on hard or brake mid corner which is when I’ll be in a better position to judge but they felt fairly good and didn’t grab at all.

Lights. No idea, it wasn’t dark :D

I need to do something with the Nav IV because it’s a long way out of date and I need to work out how it comes off the cradle. It was bad enough that I didn’t bother to check the settings and just put my post code into it, checked the address and set off then wondered why it tried to get me off the M60 and send me through the city centre at every junction. After about 5 junctions the light came on at the back of my mind, I checked the settings and told it that actually motorways are ok.

I got a pile of receipts, the service book is fully stamped up and the dealer put a new mot ticket on it plus changed the brake fluid after I asked him to. It shouldn’t really have needed it but the last service was nearly 2 years ago even though it had only done 500 miles and I know a couple of people who’ve had problems with master cylinder seals failing.

Overall it’s very clean and has only got 16.5k miles on it so I’m happy enough.

A question remains over the OEM alarm, I’ve got 2 fobs but the dealer said he’s switched it off because they’re a known source of problems. True or false?

I made a space by putting the RE 500 in the bar and removing everything that used to live in my van. It’s actually quite clear now :D

Is the cruise control some sort of manual device ,I thought they only became a feature with the advent of ride by wire stuff .

Congrats on the new bike, I myself have a peachy 2013 TC (90th Ed) and absolutely love it.

rovert57 - I don't know how far back cruise control goes but all of the TC's have it (2010 - 2013) and I've a feeling the SC's did to, yes it's proper cruise control.

Is the cruise control some sort of manual device ,I thought they only became a feature with the advent of ride by wire stuff .

It’s a proper electronic device and I think it operates between 50 and 180kph. I didn’t expect much from it because the KTM was so poor but the dealer told me it worked well and I should try it so I did and he was actually correct.

The only problem I have ever had with the alarm is the batteries needing replacement in the dwa unit.
Easy job just two CR123A.
A warning comes up on the dash when necessary.
Great bikes. Enjoy.

Congrats on the new bike, I myself have a peachy 2013 TC (90th Ed) and absolutely love it.

rovert57 - I don't know how far back cruise control goes but all of the TC's have it (2010 - 2013) and I've a feeling the SC's did to, yes it's proper cruise control.

Thanks. I couldn’t make my mind up whether or not I wanted an OAP bike but a friend purchased one of the last TC models earlier this year and told me that without a shadow of a doubt it’s the best bike he’s owned and that pushed me towards one.

In the end I decided not to worry about the year but to look for one with service history, relatively low miles and in good condition but I think I paid a little bit over the odds to get all those so it needs to be a keeper for a few years.

My '63 plate TB TC GSA doesn't have cruise control - is it just an RT thing?

My '63 plate TB TC GSA doesn't have cruise control - is it just an RT thing?

Nah, should be available on a GS too. Did you specify it when bought? Or if SH maybe the original owner didn't?

Nah, should be available on a GS too. Did you specify it when bought? Or if SH maybe the original owner didn't?

It was S/H Pete (ex- Buccleuch Hotel) and has a single cable throttle so never expected a cruise control unless ride-by-wire which my Multistrada has.

I now want to see one that has it!

I’m picking up a 2010 twin cam RT SE next Saturday.

All I need to do now is clear an RT sized hole in the garage and that’s not going to be easy but I’ll find a way.
The twin cam engine is a peach, you will enjoy it . The RT handles much better than it ought to aswell...........

Thanks. I couldn’t make my mind up whether or not I wanted an OAP bike but a friend purchased one of the last TC models earlier this year and told me that without a shadow of a doubt it’s the best bike he’s owned and that pushed me towards one.

In the end I decided not to worry about the year but to look for one with service history, relatively low miles and in good condition but I think I paid a little bit over the odds to get all those so it needs to be a keeper for a few years.

I can't believe you didn't buy the lovely one from Posh Pete!

I’m pretty sure it’s standard fit on the SE version of the 1200 RT so probably is on the top spec GS.

I’ve struck lucky because I’ve got a pair of pannier liners I bought for my Multistrada and even when fully expanded they fit in the RT panniers so that means I can leave the Tesco bags for life at home :D

I got the OEM tank bag with the bike which will be very handy on day trips though only time will tell if it’s waterproof but I’d expect that barn door of a fairing to keep the rain off it at anything over 40mph.

Yep, just a TC RT thing the TC GS(A) never had cruise control. Cruise control for the GS(A) came in with the 2013 WC model.

Thank you.

And the 2013 WC model also had the lighter flywheel that nobody, including my wife, liked.

Back
Top Bottom