Both wheels removal ?

Rowle

Reaction score
Hi all.
I need new tyres and want to remove both wheels at once.
I have a bike lift that fits under the engine - can i lift my 1250 using this via the bottom engine guard or will it damage it?
I have lifted many bikes before with the jack but all had frame rails for the lift to rest on.
Its one of these jacks ( i also have a paddock stand for the front if needed.

Attachments

• CD1A3E38-0209-48AB-AB3C-FEDB1BBBA8F6.jpeg
    CD1A3E38-0209-48AB-AB3C-FEDB1BBBA8F6.jpeg
    62.8 KB · Views: 609
just use the centerstand and put a prop/lift/jack under the rear drive after you have taken the rear wheel off, a bit of weight on the rack/topbox will ensue the bike is biased towards the back, if you are of a nervous persuasion dont forget to strap the centerstand so it cant collapse

I've done it in the past in my garage using the centre stand and a jack under the
engine then before removing the wheels (after loosening the bolts) used some straps on the bars and rear rack to secure the bike to the roof rafters

my mate used a similar lift under his GSA to do exactly what you want, he literally crushed the plate underneath. centre stand is the way

Whereabouts are you, I've got a lift which will do the job easily and provide far better support than that. Providing you're reasonably close I'm happy to lend it to you.

Bike on centre stand, alloy bash plate removed from engine, that jack you pictured under the engine just taking the weight off the front tyre, exhaust can off, rear wheel off first, front wheel abs sensor off next then front wheel calipers off then front wheel off. Reassemble in reverse order.
Alan R

Bike on centre stand. Take callipers etc off. As you withdraw the spindle the bike will go slightly front heavy but not a lot. I have an old beer crate that I slide under the fork leg. Then lifting bike till rear wheel touches the ground remove the front wheel and let the fork leg lower onto the craft. Slide the crate under both fork legs and remove rear wheel. Bike will sit rock solid.

Attachments

• F8FF2C29-60AE-47C3-899E-9ABDAD29E222.jpg
    F8FF2C29-60AE-47C3-899E-9ABDAD29E222.jpg
    248.4 KB · Views: 563
Whereabouts are you, I've got a lift which will do the job easily and provide far better support than that. Providing you're reasonably close I'm happy to lend it to you.

Hi, thanks for the offer but i am in the midlands.
I might buy a specific bike jack now, as i am keeping the GS for some time. Thank you very much for the offer though.

Thanks to everyone so far for the advice - much appreciated.

Abba stand

Attachments

• ABCD6166-EDA5-49CB-9FF8-9859649FFB89.jpg
    ABCD6166-EDA5-49CB-9FF8-9859649FFB89.jpg
    194.5 KB · Views: 497
Whilst I have a front stand, acquired for the regular tyre changes K16 owners need, it was always a nerve wracking experience having a heavy old lump of a bike up on stands without wheels. The cost of it toppling over, maybe on me even, however remote the possibility, didn't bear thinking about.

The alternative is to just do one wheel at a time, a PITA if the tyre fitter is distant, so these days I use my local Yamaha dealer on a ride in/out basis - labour £30 + VAT for both F&R last time.

On the subject of changing tyres do the GSA type spoked rims require any special procedure or equipment to prevent damage or can any bike shop who do tyres do it without drama?

I have a rear paddock stand you can have for the price of postage, did my RTs this way with a paddock stand at each end.

I have a rear paddock stand you can have for the price of postage, did my RTs this way with a paddock stand at each end.
Hi wobble,
Thank you for the offer but a mate here just gave me a stand.
Cheers.

Exactly what I do but with the seat removed I ratchet strap the bike to the stand to prevent it tipping back.

Back
Top Bottom