Clicking not starting

N4JORY

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I have not long bought a second hand r1200GS. It was a good price but had no paper work. I am in the process of fully servicing to make sure all is well. I've not taken it on any proper runs yet since its has not been running so well.
Over the weekend I replaced the alternator belt and started it once complete to ensure all was well. Great.
The next day I simply put the engine bars back on ready for today. So, all prepped ready for a ride, the engine did not start but clicks instead. There is an engine warning light lit so need to find out what is happening.
The battery has been charged this afternoon with the charger going full cycled back to trickle.
On a car I would say its the solenoid but an additional issue on the bike is that dip beam is not lit. The main beam works but the running / dip beam does not. Could this be a fuse? Is there a 'running' circuit that could have a problem now? Could I have touched something to cause this?
A short video is attached.
Kindest regards,
Nicholas

From what I have read it sounds like its the battery... but with the light not working....?
With no paperwork I have no idea of the age of the battery so probably worth it for peace of mind. I'm planning longer adventures so don't want to leave things to chance.

And welcome to the madhouse.
I know you say that the "battery has been charged" but have you measured its performance? Anything less than 12.2 volts will give you a clicking response. Keep the meter on circuit and see how low it goes when trying to start. Check its production date.
The dip will not illuminate until the engine is running.
Come back with the results.

Three possible causes and an optional forth for luck

1) Battery, if its not got enough charge you will get the clicking, but looking at your dash, there is no dimming of the display,
which you normally get with a dying battery

2) Starter solenoid, or burnt out winding on the starter armature - A new (Arrow)? or refurbed unit £140 odd is cheaper than an OE unit

3) Bad earth from battery to starter, - you can buy a set of new cables to run from the starter direct to the battery for about £20

will aid poor starting no end.

Mine was a dying starter, i replaced the cables at the same time

4) Why have you got a check engine symbol on your kombi?
when you turn the bike on it should run through it's diagnostics and the engine light should go out.

It normally only stays on if you press the starter before its completed the diagnostics

Its working!

Thank you both for your replies.
This morning, after having charged the battery all night....
...after giving the bike time to run through all its pre-start diagnostics, started straight away!
Oh, how careless of me. Its probably both these things. Lessons learned.
I really appreciate your help. Thank you.
N

Back
Top Bottom