Tracker location

Eddie Deguello

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
The 2021 R1250GS Adventure TE that got delivered here last week has a Datatool Stealth tracker fitted, but it turns out that definitions of "fitted" may vary and the suspicion is that it's been disconnected to save the battery.

I've paid for a subscription, which isn't much use (and won't activate) until the tracker's been connected. Does anybody know where the tracker connector is located and the easiest way to get at it, to save me having to remove all the bodywork to find it? Feel free to send me a PM if you don't want to reveal the information publicly.

If it's going to be a PITA to get at, the dealer I bought it from can sort it out, or I'll be sending them an invoice for my own extremely reasonable labour rates.

My 2019 GSA Datatool Stealth tracker was an unreliable piece of shit but Datatool were as good as Gold. They sent an Engineer in a van to my house to relocate it in an attempt to improve the tracker signal, then a week later due to further nuisance triggering the same guy returned and fitted a brand new unit which has been fine since. No added cost to me, I had already paid for the annual subscription.

Speak to Datatool and get them to sort it.

Messing with it yourself, however simple, will be an issue with insurers as they are meant to be fitted by an approved agent or motorcycle dealer.

The 2021 R1250GS Adventure TE that got delivered here last week has a Datatool Stealth tracker fitted, but it turns out that definitions of "fitted" may vary and the suspicion is that it's been disconnected to save the battery.

I've paid for a subscription, which isn't much use (and won't activate) until the tracker's been connected. Does anybody know where the tracker connector is located and the easiest way to get at it, to save me having to remove all the bodywork to find it? Feel free to send me a PM if you don't want to reveal the information publicly.

If it's going to be a PITA to get at, the dealer I bought it from can sort it out, or I'll be sending them an invoice for my own extremely reasonable labour rates.

The pros & cons of the tracker are well documented on here & personally I've removed mine, so the battery won't drain and the pointless unit/suscription is off the bike.

Should you want to keep it, then look under the trim behind the pillion seat as it's usually found there once fitted from new. Think I have a pic that I can dig out..

I spoke to Datatool, they suggested that I check whether it's connected. I've got the installation certificate, I don't think just plugging in a connector is going to invalidate that.

I spoke to Datatool, they suggested that I check whether it's connected. I've got the installation certificate, I don't think just plugging in a connector is going to invalidate that.

I'd agree - probably unplugged to stop it draining the battery irrespective of whether it's under a current subscription or not.

A few Torqx bolts - it's simple enough!

A few Torqx bolts - it's simple enough!
Warning! Those torx bolts are renown for being difficult to remove because of the loctite holding them in place. Heat them a little first with a hairdryer rather than a paint stripper type hot air device.
Alan R

Warning! Those torx bolts are renown for being difficult to remove because of the loctite holding them in place. Heat them a little first with a hairdryer rather than a paint stripper type hot air device.
Alan R

Good point & you can see the thread loc debris in my pic.

Just in case anybody's wondering: got this all sorted yesterday.

I was slightly bemused when I got all the gubbins off, expecting to see an obvious open connection, but discovered the connector from the main loom had a blanking cap on it. Looking inside the blanking cap, it seems to have two of the pins joined by a resistor; I guess this is some kind of termination to keep the Canbus magic happy. The tracker unit had two connectors which were plugged in to each other, so I just separated those, plugged one side into the main loom, put the blanking cap on the other, turned on the main ignition, and the tracker activated straight away. That was easy.

Tidied up all the wiring with cable ties, including one of the other loom fixing points that had obviously been cut in the past.

Everything back on, went to replace the rear seat and realised that I hadn't moved the heated seat cable clear before replacing the plastics 😬 … there was just room to get its connector free 😌

In summary: I think the dealer should probably have checked the tracker, and I'm a bit disappointed that they didn't offer to sort it out, but it would've been more hassle than doing it myself and I know it's all tidy under there now.

Good that you're all sorted bud!

Back
Top Bottom