Tyre pump.

JJH

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
This may be of interest/help to someone. I don’t have a bmw anymore having moved to a Honda nt1100 on March. I’m very happy with it btw. Got a puncture tonight. Pumped it up with a pump that comes standard with Renault/Dacia cars. Didn’t blow anything stoped at 45 psi. Got me home. Was it because the Honda has a stronger supply to the plug? Or does the Renault pump suck less juice? Worth a look? JJH

This may be of interest/help to someone. I don’t have a bmw anymore having moved to a Honda nt1100 on March. I’m very happy with it btw. Got a puncture tonight. Pumped it up with a pump that comes standard with Renault/Dacia cars. Didn’t blow anything stoped at 45 psi. Got me home. Was it because the Honda has a stronger supply to the plug? Or does the Renault pump suck less juice? Worth a look? JJH

Here's a novel suggestion. You could look in your owner's manual to see if the Honda accessory socket has a real fuse that is more than 5A, which is the threshold for the canbus on BMW bikes. Both of my Yamahas had a weedy fuse on the accessory socket and I blew the one on the Super Tenere when using the tyre pump. On my Tracer, I read the manual...

I don’t need to read the manual. It didn’t blow. That’s enough information for me. I was passing that on because it MAY be of use to someone. That’s all. JJH

Here's a novel suggestion. You could look in your owner's manual to see if the Honda accessory socket has a real fuse that is more than 5A, which is the threshold for the canbus on BMW bikes. Both of my Yamahas had a weedy fuse on the accessory socket and I blew the one on the Super Tenere when using the tyre pump. On my Tracer, I read the manual...

I don’t need to read the manual. It didn’t blow. That’s enough information for me. I was passing that on because it MAY be of use to someone. That’s all. JJH

It was “Worth a look” to answer your own question. But then, “I don’t need to read the manual”. Had you read the manual, you’d have seen that it says that the fuses on this bike range from 30 amp down to a minimum of 10 amp:

93de23610cb0e367227cadd189f0cc00.png

Therefore, to answer your own question, the pump on the standard Renault / Dacia car must draw less current than the bike’s various electrical circuits are rated at. You’ll need to investigate which fuse (it’ll probably not be the 30 amp one) protects the socket into which you plugged the wonder pump. I’d suspect that it might well be rated at 10 amps.

Other owners of this awesome steed can do their own investigation, using their own pumps and report their findings here. It will become a bible of pumps and fuses. Or they can just source a Renault / Dacia standard pump, confident that it didn’t blow the fuse on your bike.

Why are we singing the praises of a pump that didn't blow anything? Isn't that what they're supposed... oh, hang on, alright, got it.

Good tip JJH.

Back
Top Bottom