G650x radiators - new

GFJ

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Just to keep you all updated on this.

Nathan started a project some time back to try and find someone who could manufacture some new rads for us, with a better core. He found a potential supplier.

I sent them a rad many months ago and I have just been messaged that the prototype is completed and is being sent to me at home.

It doesn't have a thermostat, and I guess may be similar to the pace rads in that regard.

I'll post up pics when home (Christmas), and fit and try. No idea re price yet.

Will keep you all updated

Gareth

Great news. Very interested in one of these.

They are quite exposed and have a tendancy to get the core clogged with mud etc if used off road, and can easily get damaged causing overheating issues.
Not really too much of a problem with normal road use and making sure the radiator core is kept nice and clean.

The mockup's arrived. Looks v good, but still a few issues I am seeking clarification on so it's still work in progress, albeit looking promising.

Attachments

• IMG_20230101_085805.jpg
    IMG_20230101_085805.jpg
    253.2 KB · Views: 176
  • IMG_20230101_085934.jpg
    IMG_20230101_085934.jpg
    251.1 KB · Views: 177
Looks great gareth, any idea on price yet. Happy new year

Looks great gareth, any idea on price yet. Happy new year

Cheers. No, sizing etc is spot on for a plug and play swap, header tank fits straight on etc. Just confirming flow through the core etc. No idea of price or order quantities yet. Will update when known

Okay, after a slight mod I now have a final road test to do which I will do when I get back in a couple of weeks. I am not expecting any issues.

In size they are a direct replacement for the OE rad. You disconnect the hoses from yours, remove from bike, swap over the water bottle, remove fan, swap over the two rad mount plugs that fit between the fins, the rad cap and refit.

There is no thermostat in this rad. I have been running an aftermarket rad over the winter (which also doesn't have a thermostat) and there were no issues performance or running wise.

Price wise, these are currently coming in at approx £420 incl vat delivered to you in the UK (caveats re postal areas but you get the gist). Will post elsewhere but at your cost. Cost of a PACE rad was £750 at time of runout.

I will be ordering 3 for myself. If you want one message me and we can go from there. I won't order or take any money until I have trialled the latest version, but will want payment in full before I order yours.

Pm me if interested.

Gareth

Okay, after a slight mod I now have a final road test to do which I will do when I get back in a couple of weeks. I am not expecting any issues.

In size they are a direct replacement for the OE rad. You disconnect the hoses from yours, remove from bike, swap over the water bottle, remove fan, swap over the two rad mount plugs that fit between the fins, the rad cap and refit.

There is no thermostat in this rad. I have been running an aftermarket rad over the winter (which also doesn't have a thermostat) and there were no issues performance or running wise.

Price wise, these are currently coming in at approx £420 incl vat delivered to you in the UK (caveats re postal areas but you get the gist). Will post elsewhere but at your cost. Cost of a PACE rad was £750 at time of runout.

I will be ordering 3 for myself. If you want one message me and we can go from there. I won't order or take any money until I have trialled the latest version, but will want payment in full before I order yours.

Pm me if interested.

Gareth

Be good to get an update on the road test?

Yep, interested in one as long as Road test favourable.:thumb

I would interested in one of these. My radiator has started leaking.

Reactions: GFJ
Apols for delay all, things have taken over. Will install the rad in an xcountry this week and report back.

Apols for delay; it's on (with a bit of fiddling), I've done a few hundred miles and it seems to work as it should. Pics are below.

Note whilst this is almost a plug and play replacement, it has no thermostat installed in it, and will take a fit of fiddling to get it to fit to the bike.

I fitted it to a xcountry. This is what I did,

• Extract old rad: take off expansion tank, rad cap, hoses, fan, two plastic fan mount points (in fins), rubber grommets.
  • Fitting fan on new. Size up fan location on new rad. This didnt quite work out as expected as the upper mounting hole would have meant the plastic inserts going through a cooling channel. To get round this I removed the two lower mounting pins that were on the new rad, drilled some holes further up on the plastic fan surround, and mounted the fan using M5 bolts into the drilled holes. Inserting the plastic mounts was easy enough, just easing them gently through the fins after creating a smaller pilot hole. I placed some washers between the fan surround and the rad to ensure it wasn't touching any of the fins.
  • Fit expansion tank, hoses and grommets. Easy enough with some jubilee clips. Used the old bolt for the expansion tank as the one supplied wasnt long enough. The let off pipe near the rad cap is a bit long, but it did fit in the space by the frame when installed.
  • Installing rad - it didn't fit on first attempt; basically it is a few mm taller than the OE rad, so whilst the pin went in the lower mount easy enough, I couldn't get the top of the rad to fit in underneath the two upper mounting points. Think this is down to the size of the core that was used, and that was a pain to source. I got around this by doing some grinding to the lower parts of the upper mounts until it would fit in.
  • Fitted, connected, filled and bled system. Remember to reconnect the fan.
  • refit body panels. Some of these were tight and didnt align 100%. Fixing holes did align though.

I've run the bike for a few hundred miles, and through several stationary heating cooling cycles. You can feel the heat come off the rad soon after the engine has started.

I've run other make after market rads on a G650x through winter without a thermostat and not had any issues. Think most air/temp/mixture type issues are sorted by the efi system now anyway. I cant see why this version should be any different.

Cooling. Any better? Well, the fins are stronger with greater gaps, plus both end caps are metal so will conduct heat better, but anything I say will be anecdotal as I don't have any rigs to do any scientific testing.

I've advised the manufacturer that testing has been completed and requested confirmation of a lead time etc.

As far as I am aware, it will be £420 per unit delivered to me, plus postage on to yourself.

Will update re lead times; after which message me if you want on as detailed above.

Pics below to go with the above text. Also includes a new OE rad that was used to check and build from.

Cheers to Nathan to starting this off.

Gareth
IMG_20230629_120247_549.jpgIMG_20230629_120309_928.jpgIMG_20230629_120336_203.jpgIMG_20230629_120358_976.jpgIMG_20230629_122801_881.jpgIMG_20230629_125132_370.jpgIMG_20230629_125140_283.jpgIMG_20230629_143129_001.jpgIMG_20230629_143137_565.jpgIMG_20230629_151607_258.jpgIMG_20230629_151614_739.jpgIMG_20230629_151628_091.jpg

Last edited:
Lead time estimated to be 5-6 weeks due to their existing workload. Just ordered 6 for those who have already contacted me.

Back
Top Bottom