Does anyone know this (my) bike?

g00ner

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
So in a quest for a lighter ‘smaller’ bike I’ve bought an F800GS - 2017 vintage.

Seller was all the way up in Scotland (miles and miles from me)so after several questions being answered and pics / videos received, I decided to buy and the bike was delivered yesterday.

I had originally planned a day on the UK TET for Friday with friends, so soon as it arrived and a cursory check over I jumped on it and shot off to catch up with said friends.

First thoughts were ‘bloody hell, this is tall’. Every time I’ve stopped, got on, got off or looked at it…. Kin’ell its tall. I’m not a stranger to an 800 and I know they’re a bit high… but this is just…tall.

It’s a lovely bike, I like it lots, but riding it back the scenic route today (feck it was cold) it occurred to me that just maybe, a previous owner has fitted a different shock, maybe from a 1200GS? Suspicions heightened by the ESA having no discernible effect.

Now home, I’ve taken a couple of pics so those with more knowledge than me can take a look and maybe confirm my suspicions? There’s a preload adjuster I can see but it seems a bit ‘tight’ to the frame?

Apologies for dribbling on, I’m hoping someone may recognise the bike and confirm or deny there has been any suspension fettling in the past.

IMG_0269.jpg

IMG_0270.jpg

04bff77b-9350-4760-9407-8dfdb98c3d0c.jpg

Thanks in advance if you can help

PS. The front doesn’t dip when braking like 800’s of old so I suspect there are new stronger fork springs at least

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
It looks, to my eye, as if the rear tyre is in contact with the floor! If it is, then its a good indication that it's been made taller.

And if the rear has been altered then its a safe bet that the front has also been given the same treatment, to keep the machines stance correct.

Just my bestest guess.

SteveT

:dragon

It looks, to my eye, as if the rear tyre is in contact with the floor! If it is, then its a good indication that it's been made taller.

And if the rear has been altered then its a safe bet that the front has also been given the same treatment, to keep the machines stance correct.

Just my bestest guess.

SteveT

:dragon

You, Steve old chap, are far more observant than I

Those are pics from the advert, I haven’t popped it up on the centre stand yet. There doesn’t look to be to much air between the wheel and ground, defo indicates a longer shock. I’ll measure it tomorrow, see if it is longer.

Thanking you :beerjug:

Apart from any suspension changes the second photo looks like it has the Rallye seat fitted. This on its own raises the seat height to 920mm. So a seat change might help quite a bit.

Apart from any suspension changes the second photo looks like it has the Rallye seat fitted. This on its own raises the seat height to 920mm. So a seat change might help quite a bit.

I had the low seat on, I couldn’t climb aboard with the rally seat on :D

I had the same issue with My Rallye 800. they are very tall as std. made like Moto crossers , you should check the std height on the web for the bike then measure it....if anyone has raised the height, they must have been bloody tall riders. great machines by the way

I had the same issue with My Rallye 800. they are very tall as std. made like Moto crossers , you should check the std height on the web for the bike then measure it....if anyone has raised the height, they must have been bloody tall riders. great machines by the way

Having had a look about it appears the 800 shock should be around 335mm. Mines around 365mm between centre mounting holes.

It’s way taller than my Husky FE350, hence me wondering if it’s been modded. They couldn’t have sold at this height, there’s only so many customers over 6’4

Looks like the preload is maxed out I would screw it anti clockwise and that will lower it?

Well the shock is a standard length after all. I’ve purchased a Hyperpro spring set, fitting not yet attempted. Next weeks job

Just to put this one to bed, HyperPro springs fitted -50mm all round today, fresh 10W fork oil and a shortened side stand. Took a while (6 hours including lunch) but all seems well. Will test it once it’s not blowing a hoolie

Back
Top Bottom