Sena Impulse Helmet

mw3230

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Im a C3 Pro user with Sena 50s attached for comms - a successful combination. However, my helmet is in need of replacement (or I fancy a new one which is nearer the truth) and I'm drawn to the Sean Impulse which is a flip front helmet incorporating what appears to be a comms set up offering similar functionality to that of the 50s, all at a price less than a Schuberth C5 and it's associated integrated Sena comms package (another option I have been considering)

All sounds good so I went to my local bike shop/helmet shop whose website states they sell Sena helmets to try on for size.

"We don't recommend them, they aren't good helmets. We suggest you buy a better helmet and stick a Sena unit on the side"

This is strange, it contradicts all of the online reviews I've been able to find which comment favourably on the build quality, quietness, fit and sound of the Sena Impulse

So, to finally arrive at the point of my post, has anyone any experience of the Sena Impulse in particular, or Sena helmets in general

Thanks

Interesting ,

I've just bought an E1 and plan to fit my Sena 30K

Coming from an ADX1 - it was simple, stick the Sena on the LHS just past the flip front

But on the E1 / C3 there is the visor flip lever ...

Where/ how did you fit the Sena unit ?

Interesting ,

I've just bought an E1 and plan to fit my Sena 30K

Coming from an ADX1 - it was simple, stick the Sena on the LHS just past the flip front

But on the E1 / C3 there is the visor flip lever ...

Where/ how did you fit the Sena unit ?

Stick it on just behind the sun visor slider. It works fine

AN UPDATE - I've ordered an Impulse helmet from Louis in Germany - their website states that they pay all UK VAT and duties in advance.

There are so many positive reviews around that (hopefully) it can't be complete rubbish. In any case, I can avail myself of a free return if I'm not happy

Further in due course ...

I bought my C5 from them and they were true to their word. I would recommend.

I dont have experience of a Sena helmet but.... this is similar to my issue.

i have a Lexin BT comms and its ok... when im solo and using for Phone/Sat nav/Music it works flawless
as soon as other people are involved it plays up and i spend to much time messing with it.

Long story short, I read reviews on what comms to get and its looking like Sena too
all this and then i buy a new Helmet into the mix

I bought a Scorpion ADX2 flip helmet with a flap on the left for its own EXO comms (Sena based)

so i read reviews, the Exo isn't as good as the dedicated Sena 50s.

But now i have an issue where to fit my comms as i have a flip, sunglass slider then a flap that can pull off?
see image

just for ease of use i am tempted to buy the EXO kit just so it fits well with the helmet.
either that or glue the flap on permanently and attached the Sena 50s i wanted?

if i had seen that Sena Impulse helmet first i think i would have bought it.
looks good, and Open Mesh comms built in!! sounds just the ticket.

Let us know how you get on with it, id be interested.

SENA IMPULSE HELMET, initial thoughts

Quality - the quality of the helmet compares favourably with other premium brands I have looked at. I have been using a Schuberth C3 Pro for several years and there is nothing about the Impulse which stands out as being inferior. There are slight differences - the position of ratchet chin strap is not as variable as in the C3 (both sides on the C3 are adjustable); the detents on the visor seem to be more pronounced which will hopefully prevent the damn thing from closing itself at speed, and the visor itself shuts into the fully closed position with a more positive 'click'

Fit and Comfort - I have been wearing a size XL C3 and bought the same from SENA. I always felt that the C3 sat too low on my head meaning that the top of the opening impinged on my view. I addressed this by adding some padding inside. The Impulse is a slightly better fit (for me) and I feel it is in the right position on my head. After a 90 mile ride I did not experience any discomfort. I've read that the Impulse is a small fit, I think I would tend to agree but the difference isn't great. It seems to be quiet (certainly at least as quiet as the Schuberth) but I need to ride in more various conditions to better assess this

Comms - the inbuilt SENA intercom/mesh works similarly to all SENA units with similar light/button protocols. The speech is very clear both on Mesh and Bluetooth. I can't comment on battery life yet - the 50s I have been using wouldn't last all day when Mesh was in use and I began to give it a charge from a battery pack during lunch stops or charge whilst riding, with it connected to the usb socket on the bike. Note that it isn't possible to charge the Impulse whilst riding as connecting the charging lead switches off the intercom (possibly to allow the auto wifi updating?) so a mid ride charge may be required. Wearing winter gloves means it is quite difficult to operate the buttons at the side of the helmet. This should become less difficult as I become more familiar with the positioning and change to thinner gloves. An alternative would be to buy one of the SENA remote controls - I think only the four button remote would allow control of the Mesh

All in All I'm very pleased with the Impulse helmet. I had wanted the white version but ended up with the matt black as it was the only one I could find in stock in my size. I like the look of it so I'm not unhappy. Fingers crossed it proves to be durable

Back
Top Bottom