Zerofit base layers

Has anyone got any Sub-Zero thermals they could compare these to?

Has anyone got any Sub-Zero thermals they could compare these to?

Compare in what way? That they ‘feel warmer’, which is rather subjective. That they do or don’t fit better? That they are cheaper or more expensive, verging on rip-off?

Compare in what way? That they ‘feel warmer’, which is rather subjective. That they do or don’t fit better? That they are cheaper or more expensive, verging on rip-off?

They're not more expensive, they sound like similar material, but that's just reading on this thing, not having examples to compare side by side. (and not wanting to fork out £50 to find out).

Well I've just had a day and a half of wearing the Aldi gear and the insulation factor and quality is pretty good. Thermal T shirt top 7.99, now sold out but long sleeve available in store and Mid Layer top (Merino) 36.99.

I've been in the ZeroFit ultimate for 3 days now, working from home, it's comfortable, very warm and I don't YET smell like a hobo's dogs ring piece :)

Still only internal testing of course, but certainly one of the best I've had, I am interested to see how it fares after a wash though, not concerned, interested as the inside is almost microfleece like, while externally more of a standard weave. There's no bulk to it, and I'm unsure of what dark magic is at play generating the heat, clever use of friction maybe, but it's certainly lived up to the hype so far.

I've been in the ZeroFit ultimate for 3 days now, working from home, it's comfortable, very warm and I don't YET smell like a hobo's dogs ring piece :)

Still only internal testing of course, but certainly one of the best I've had, I am interested to see how it fares after a wash though, not concerned, interested as the inside is almost microfleece like, while externally more of a standard weave. There's no bulk to it, and I'm unsure of what dark magic is at play generating the heat, clever use of friction maybe, but it's certainly lived up to the hype so far.

Same experience for me -

I am now wondering what their cold touch version is like for the summer months as i was sceptical of their claims regarding warmth but if their claims on warmth have borne out their claims on keeping cool could be as equally good ...

^^^^What he said. Took it out for a test, just a walk. With a RUKKA Aldrich mid layer fleece jacket lasted 30 min before I started feeling the cold. It's -7C. Second walk with N-3B parka was super toast. Less bulk under the coat. It's quiet thick as a base layer, nice to the skin and not itchy. Well cut and plenty armpit room. Suggest going up a size. Can use it as a casual top. Red arrow in the picture is the inside microflece which is very fine (will wash in cold water, not tumble dry) blue arrow is the outside of the top.

Attachments

• Z.jpg
    Z.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 259
  • Z1.jpg
    Z1.jpg
    226 KB · Views: 264
  • Z3.jpg
    Z3.jpg
    168.1 KB · Views: 257
So you have now proved that the different jacket makes a difference, not the baselayer working...
You might also have warmed up between walks with the different jacket. Hard to replicate experiment :)

So you have now proved that the different jacket makes a difference, not the baselayer working...
You might also have warmed up between walks with the different jacket. Hard to replicate experiment :)

Normally I use a jacket on/off bike in the winter. Had a brake between walks. Never claimed that this is a scientific experiment with a blind study from a different brand with a thermometer stuck under my armpit. At 73 kg and 5'9 and minimal body fat, is giving a good protection. For me. For you could be useless or to much.
The N-3B jacket is good for Alaska, so yes I could go bare chested and is still warm. But you always have something under a jacket. Zerofit is about 3.5mm thick so is less bulky. Important on the bike. I use most of my bike gear for casual use.

No base layer will give you protection on it's own in -7C, unless you have a blood circulation issue or you are seriously fat/obese.
In comparison with other synthetic or merino gear I have it behaves better, but is also slightly thicker.
Price wise, is expensive but not more expensive than a merino roll neck from M&S.

Thank you for you contribution:thumb

Revit Airbourne, quality, warm, good fit

I ordered the HeatRub Ultimate top. It came, looked very nice, felt great and was very warm, but was a little snug.

So I sent it back (actually haven't put it in the post yet, but they have already sent the refund money) and ordered the top and leggings in the next size up. They have arrived today but I haven't had time to try them yet.

It looks like a really nice quality product for sure. Thicker than most base layers but I am OK with that. These, plus my Warn'n'Safe jacket liner, heated grips and Rukka Nivala suit should be pretty much Nirvana for mid February blood runs at 3am.

My wife washed and tumble dried my Zerofit top yesterday by mistake. 40c wash and regular tumble dry. I think Zerofit say 20c wash and only low temp tumble dry.

It came out looking a lot skinnier than before. Same length of body and arms, but with circumferences of the tube parts for a much slimmer man than me. But I am wearing it now and it seems to have gone back to its regular shape and size. So I wouldn't recommend just bunging it in a normal wash, but it's not the end of the world if you do.

The Icebreaker Merino stuff holes far to easily.
I have a few Icebreaker Merino wool base layers, they certainly take some beating but have gone silly with their pricing. A couple have holed but they are years older now.

Code not valid. May just have been up to Christmas

A sort of long term review

I have been wearing the zero fit ( I bought 2) in rotation pretty much all winter getting at least 2 days use at a time so no real stink issues so on that they are OK

Warmth wise they are excellent and comparable or slightly warmer than my heaviest weight Icebreaker stuff

AS noted previously they are half the price of icebreaker

However after 5 months or however long it has been since purchase they are not standing up to repeated wear and wash anywhere near as well as the Icebreaker stuff which is 4 years old now and still going strong and looking decent ( I have moth balls in wardrobe so no holes)

My summation is that they are warm and cheaper than Icebreaker but economically not as good as I cant see them lasting anywhere near as long

I bought my Zerofit top with the discount code before Christmas and it's been fantastic on the few times I've been out. Feels quite loose around the neck compared to my usual ProSkins tops but it's very warm. You really notice how cold it is when you take it off and feel the chill.
Have to say I haven't washed it yet as I've only had short rides and I don't sweat much anyway, but will defo wash it in cool water and dry on the line.
TBH I'll probably only use it in winter as the ProSkins are utterly brilliant the rest of the time and you can wash and dry them in no time, so perfect for long trips as they don't take up much space.

Back
Top Bottom