Testing of the Beta version of the new ‘NEXT’ app…..

Wapping

Reaction score
…..starts today. Be still my beating heart.

It’ll be a touch chilly doing it.

Works fine but not sure what’s different ?

21ea64741f45c3f656b98622a4b308ed.jpg

It already does some different things and more are in the pipeline. I think what we are looking at today is a check that the new app is at least stable. There are some reports of it timing out.

The MyRoute forum is a very good source of information.

Is this the app version that comes with the onboard routing engine (no internet connection needed)?

I did about 200 miles with it today and it seemed a really good first effort and as good as the old navigation app.

It was stable and worked well with a few small glitches but I’m impressed

Is this the app version that comes with the onboard routing engine (no internet connection needed)?

As I understand it, the app is to be updated to include the ability to include downloadable maps.

I did about 200 miles with it today and it seemed a really good first effort and as good as the old navigation app.

It was stable and worked well with a few small glitches but I’m impressed

Good to know.

Did you log the glitches you saw with the app developer?

It’s interesting to see the comments made on the forum, in relation to the new Beta version app.

I’d recommend it if bods have questions or comments of their own.

What is particularly interesting though is bods’ requests to have more and more ‘stuff’ bolted on to what should be a very simple, easy to use, reliable app. This is the mistake that Garmin made, listening to bikers’ “We want this, we want that” requests and then going down some overblown ‘Infotainment’ system rabbit hole, dishing up a product which half the time people don’t know how to use.

What is particularly interesting though is bods’ requests to have more and more ‘stuff’ bolted on to what should be a very simple, easy to use, reliable app. This is the mistake that Garmin made, listening to bikers’ “

I agree. It’s similar on the Polestar group. If Polestar put everything on our dash that people are asking for it’d look like a 747 cockpit.

I’m thinking of ditching the Nav when my GS turns up in March. I considered the connected ride cradle, but am not sure about the navigation.

I like the idea of WunderLINQ as it gives me freedom to find the right navigation app. All I want is easy planning and device transfer, with the ability to do things like timed layovers. Basecamp and the Nav are perfect for this, except for the requirement to use a PC (I’ve never been a fan of 3rd party route planning for the Nav as Basecamp is so easy to use and reduces the chances of routes calculating incorrectly).

Good to know.

Did you log the glitches you saw with the app developer?

I did, to be fair they were minor issues average speed cameras were titled ‘trajectory control’ and seemed to hang on past the end of the speed cameras and it tried to take me to the left at a junction of the A3 when the line was keeping me on (I did wonder if it was in driving on the right mode)

Saying that it only did that the once that I noticed, MRA have asked for the rough location so they can look into it.

I agree about keeping it simple, to me the basics are there and it’s probably just fine tuning needed now - saying that I am looking forward to the camper setting so you can put van dimensions in.

What is particularly interesting though is bods’ requests to have more and more ‘stuff’ bolted on to what should be a very simple, easy to use, reliable app. This is the mistake that Garmin made, listening to bikers’ “We want this, we want that” requests and then going down some overblown ‘Infotainment’ system rabbit hole, dishing up a product which half the time people don’t know how to use.

I went to a presentation given by Garmin three years ago, organised by Cannon (now Sycamore) BMW in Witham. Plenty of bods turned up with their shiny new GSAs, along with their Nav 6 machines. Not one knew how to use it. They barely knew how to switch it on. The navigation part of the machine (including Basecamp) was a complete mystery. I turned up with my ancient 660, without the bells and whistles - the bod from Garmin said it was the best (simplest) machine there.

He wasn’t far wrong.

When first launched, the 660 (with at the time its faster processor) had a bunch of problems, but all were completely mended by Garmin in pretty short order. They were a great GPS device.

You Ipswich folk, with your new fangled ways.

:hide:hide

My saving grace(s). I was born in Bow, worked in Millwall Dock, proposed to my wife in the "Town of Ramsgate" pub at Wapping Old Stairs and got married in All Saints at the top of the Isle of Dogs. All a very long time ago. I need a satnav to find my way anywhere in that area now.

tom

Back
Top Bottom