Are Avon Tyres On The Way Out?

Melksham is set to close at the end of next year, but whether the Avon range will continue in some shape or form seems unclear at present.

The Avon brand is owned by Cooper Tires. Cooper were taken into the Goodyear fold only last year, a $2.8 Bn deal.

Cooper have factories in Serbia. Avon car & truck tyres are made there. Avon is established as a "second line" brand in these sectors. I have used their ZV7 car tyres which are great value. I think this brand will remain.

Goodyear own the Dunlop brand in Europe and have a Dunlop factory in Montlucon. I've ridden past it, it's massive. It has the Dunlop motorcycle division and motorsport centre.

I reckon the options are:
1. Retire the Avon bike tyre brand as it competes directly with Dunlop
2. Sell the Avon brand to a company in India or China
3. Make Avon bike tyres in Montlucon
4. Sell the classic tyre moulds to a UK craft business.

I have a friend who races classic bikes in hill climbs. He feels that if the Avon bike tyre brand is withdrawn then a load of bikes will become ornaments as there is no other maker of the obscure sizes used by some old Brit bikes.

I think 2 is the most likely, with maybe 4 alongside, if it is possible for a small UK company to meet the inevitable environmental requirements needed for a new tyre factory.

With respect to the classic race tyres:

TGA Racing Services
3 December at 14:37 ·
As you are mostly aware, Goodyear have taken over Cooper Tire who owned Avon & have recently announced that the Avon factory at Melksham will be closed by the end of 2023.
TGA @ Molnar Precision Ltd are a major outlet for the Avon range of Classic Motorcycle Race tyres, with the Race Support Service that you see run by Dave at CRMC race meetings only a small element of our business which literally involves sending tyres all around the world. This gives us access to decision making personnel within the Goodyear operation, but you must be under no illusion that with a total market of around 5,000 tyres per year spread across about 50 patterns our business is miniscule in Goodyear terms. I can tell you, that the broad Goodyear plan was to completely stop all Classic Motorcycle Race Tyre production when Melksham closes. At least they are now talking to us about a 'post Melksham plan' for 'our' tyres.
Melksham will remain open until the end of 2023, with the intention being to run at full capacity until September before winding down. In an attempt to ensure that our types of tyres are higher on the priority list, we have placed orders for over 1,000 tyres - that's over quarter of a million pounds worth of stock & we do need our customers, that's you, to support us if we are to carry this forward!!
The tyres we are trying to save are:
AM22 110/80-18 Front
AM22 110/80-18 Rear
AM26 90/90-18
AM26 90/90-19
AM26 100/90-19
AM22 120/70-16 (FZ)
AM23 130/70-18 & Cantilever version
Storm 120/70-17 Front
Storm 160/60-17 Rear
This is a 'best case scenario' and tyres outside this list have zero chance of being made long term.
To make us all even unhappier, Goodyear have announced a 'realignment' of prices which now sees AM22's & AM26's at around £315 each and AM23's at £365 incl VAT.
You can keep up to date with developments through our Facebook pages and our website.

With respect to the classic race tyres:

TGA Racing Services
3 December at 14:37 ·
To make us all even unhappier, Goodyear have announced a 'realignment' of prices which now sees AM22's & AM26's at around £315 each and AM23's at £365 incl VAT.

those prices , will put even racers off.

Cooper have factories in Serbia. Avon car & truck tyres are made there. Avon is established as a "second line" brand in these sectors. I have used their ZV7 car tyres which are great value. I think this brand will remain.

Goodyear own the Dunlop brand in Europe and have a Dunlop factory in Montlucon. I've ridden past it, it's massive. It has the Dunlop motorcycle division and motorsport centre.

I reckon the options are:
1. Retire the Avon bike tyre brand as it competes directly with Dunlop
2. Sell the Avon brand to a company in India or China
3. Make Avon bike tyres in Montlucon
4. Sell the classic tyre moulds to a UK craft business.

I have a friend who races classic bikes in hill climbs. He feels that if the Avon bike tyre brand is withdrawn then a load of bikes will become ornaments as there is no other maker of the obscure sizes used by some old Brit bikes.

I think 2 is the most likely, with maybe 4 alongside, if it is possible for a small UK company to meet the inevitable environmental requirements needed for a new tyre factory.
I put the ZV7 on my car a few weeks back...... Jaysus they are good in the wet.
(economy has suffered though)

I have used a few sets of Trailriders on my Hexheads.......and really, really liked them.

S20 5G sent this......

Harley riders will shit it with no Avon Cobra Chromes, they are the best tyre for the touring models……by a long way!

Hi guys

As previously posted production in Melksham is scheduled to continue until the end of 2023

My understanding is that the plan to transfer production of m/c tyres is still being developed although it seems that they will go to Montlucon who recently announced an investment program

Hopefully things will become clear soon

It’s true that Avon and Dunlop brands could be in competition but I would prefer to see it another way - Goodyear will have a much wider range to offer once the Avon brand is fully integrated

I put the ZV7 on my car a few weeks back...... Jaysus they are good in the wet.
(economy has suffered though)

I have used a few sets of Trailriders on my Hexheads.......and really, really liked them.

S20 5G sent this......

I've used trailriders on my GS for afew years now; and have to agree whole heartedly with the wet findings; brill tyres; i for one will be sad to see them close.:(

Harley riders will shit it with no Avon Cobra Chromes, they are the best tyre for the touring models……by a long way!

And the best tyre for the Softails by a long way. I love them. It's a pity you can't really hoard tyres as they go off a bit after a while. Otherwise I could fill my garage with them and make a killing if they were discontinued...

Back
Top Bottom