Can I reject a bike that has been repaired following an accident?

Fair enough, I was always under the impression that your insurance company worked with a select number of body shops and you were obligated to use one. :thumb

I think they work with a select number purely for ease of operating. Maybe the insurance company have a contract with the assessors/ repairers for their own convenience but I believe the customer can choose his own.

It’s on a 20 plate .
I’m at the dealership tomorrow so I’ll ask the question. Might be awkward now the bike is away at the preferred repairer, 200 miles away….:blast

It’s on a 20 plate .
I’m at the dealership tomorrow so I’ll ask the question. Might be awkward now the bike is away at the preferred repairer, 200 miles away….:blast

Hire/borrow a van and go to collect it
Take it to a BMW dealer
It’s your bike, up to you
The insurance assessor will have to go and discuss it with a BMW dealer then
His Lordship here did the same recently and collected his bike from Surrey and took it back to his local dealer in the Brum area

Just to muddy the waters a bit your assessment of impact is not exactly correct. If you ran into the back of a car it must have absorbed some of the impact. Also the weight quoted includes rider who didn’t have as sudden a stop as the bike did. Probably make’s little difference to the overall damage but might be worth thinking about. Oh and whatever else you do get it into a proper dealer. My experience is that they will try to pressure you to use their repearers. JJH

Just to muddy the waters a bit your assessment of impact is not exactly correct. If you ran into the back of a car it must have absorbed some of the impact. Also the weight quoted includes rider who didn’t have as sudden a stop as the bike did. Probably make’s little difference to the overall damage but might be worth thinking about. JJH

Fair point jjh but it still stopped in the space of maybe a foot, allowing for forks and car flexing.

Hire/borrow a van and go to collect it
Take it to a BMW dealer
It’s your bike, up to you
The insurance assessor will have to go and discuss it with a BMW dealer then
His Lordship here did the same recently and collected his bike from Surrey and took it back to his local dealer in the Brum area

Thanks JB , that’s worth knowing. I’ll be speaking to my insurance company tomorrow as well as my local dealer.
The assessors have been okay up to now so I’m not desperate to get it back from them at this stage.
Easy enough to fetch it on my trailer.

Thing is the BMW dealer will not cut any corners when they assess it, where as the insurers repairers might well do and their loyalty isn't to you. You may get some push back from the insurer along the lines they won't intervene on your behalf if the main dealer cocks up to try and get you to stay with their lot but I'd go down the dealer route if it was my bike. Good luck

Thanks JB , that’s worth knowing. I’ll be speaking to my insurance company tomorrow as well as my local dealer.
The assessors have been okay up to now so I’m not desperate to get it back from them at this stage.
Easy enough to fetch it on my trailer.

PM Lord Snooty and ask him how he got on recently?
He might have some useful info

My brother had an accident in his car and the insurer had it recovered and taken to a compound somewhere ahead of being assessed . It was a rarish American car with some valuable accessories on it. He was worried about what state the vehicle might get into whilst it was stored waiting to be sorted plus if it was written off he was hoping to remove the accessories first.

I convinced him that it wa his car and he could do what he wanted to including getting it collected and moved elsewhere . So I arranged a recovery truck snd have it moved to the business premises of a friend and had it stored there for several months whilst the insurance company did their thing , they even paid him for storing the vehicle . He charged 50% of the daily rate that the original storage place so they were happy with that and we split the money.

The point is ,it’s your vehicle so you do have a choice. :thumb2

Useful info on here as always. Thanks chaps.

I’ll ask a few questions and find out my options regarding repairs although at this stage I have no reason to doubt the assessor ( other than my own reservations about the bike) although it’s fair to say I’ve only heard bad reports about the company concerned and had bad experiences when buying parts from them. I’m not going to name and shame at this stage as I gave no reason to atm.
I suspect my insurers might try to charge any expenses already incurred if I choose to take the bike elsewhere for repairs. Bike transport, admin charges, assessment charges etc etc.

as a few say ,take it to a BMW dealership , if you have good customer relationship were you bought it, that is the place it needs to go. I bet 99 pc of dealerships will write it off as too expensive to repair.

I had quite a serious my-fault "off" when my GS was six months old. I fully expected the bike to be a write-off, but I was amazed to be told that the damage wasn't as bad as I feared, and that the rebuild estimate came in just lower than the write-off value - assessment at my BMW delaership.

When my bike was returned, I subsequently learnt that when it was being put back together, a twist was discovered in the rear subframe which had to be replaced! This took it well over the write-off value!!

So these assessors do sometimes get it wrong.

As a postscript I've owned the GS ever since - twenty years - so they did a proper job on the rebuild.

as a few say ,take it to a BMW dealership , if you have good customer relationship were you bought it, that is the place it needs to go. I bet 99 pc of dealerships will write it off as too expensive to repair.

I bet many will say they don’t have time to repair it and simply write it off too.

If the bike is assessed correctly and repaired to standard then it should be as good as a factory fresh bike
The trouble is, tossers like 4th dimension want to do it as cheap as possible whilst charging as much as possible, whereas, in my limited experience dealership will create the biggest estimate possible.
My limited experience is from where a car reversed into me, scratch on stanchion where light bar tapped it, scratching the engine bars, bar end and hand guard as it lay down, top box was also possibly damaged (but that didn't rear its head until I arrived at a destination without it!)
Dealer quote was over £2400 on an early 1200 hex, fixed for about 300 all in

Admittedly waay less severe impact to the OP but I believe the theory stands...

I wish I had questioned it at the time but hey ho. We had other stuff going on at the time so I don’t question it when they put their bike courier onto it etc etc. — daughter was in hospital in London, where I was travelling back from at the time, and SWMBO had gone abroad for a week only 12 hours before the accident. This was on the Saturday and I didn’t want her jumping on a plane to come home again so I didn’t tell her until the Tuesday when the black eyes started to become obvious and therefore easy to spot on FaceTime…:D:augie
I assume my dealer would have to do their own assessment, something which the insurers would be unwilling to pay for as they’ve already incurred costs to get to this point.

Insurers have authorised the repairs. Can’t be bothered with the hassle of getting it all changed re repairers now that it’s at this stage so I’ll just leave them to it. Estimated done by 1st of February.
Thanks for all the input.

An insurer simply has to return the vehicle into the state it was in, a moment before the calamity overtook it. To do that the insurer can employ whatever creditable repair shop they chose. Or they can, at their option, write the vehicle off, if the realistic cost of the repair is likely to exceed a fair market value. The insured is at liberty to accept or reject any offer made by the insurer and is, of course free to have the vehicle checked on its return and any defects (caused as a result of the calamity and works done thereafter) put right.

There is a certain irony that ‘third party’ independent service agents are praised on this site, as they are not ‘stealers’, to use the overly popular expression. Yet, all of a sudden ‘stealers’ become the bods’ best friends - and independents not to be trusted - when it’s someone else’s money.

Back
Top Bottom