Need to learn a new skill.

Dave56

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Having just been bequeathed a 1972 Kawasaki H2, it appears I need to learn a new skill.
I have to learn how to choke and kick start it. :nenau
The last time I had to kick start a two stroke was way back in the day with my T250 Suzuki, but that was long before arthritic knees became a problem, so it looks like this could be either fun or bloody painful. :rob

Attachments

• A94BDA58-0499-42F2-9C0D-F0A445B2A599.jpg
    A94BDA58-0499-42F2-9C0D-F0A445B2A599.jpg
    256.5 KB · Views: 387
Bloody hell Dave,that's a nice bike to be bequeathed.Hope you get it running and out on the road in the warmer weather.

Kimbo

they are fun, however if you dont already know be prepared for the capacity of the engine to vastly outshine that of the brakes and the chassis !!

Under the circumstances I'd say it's well worth working on that new skill!

Cracking machine, I hope the circumstances of its acquisition weren't too sad.

they are fun, however if you dont already know be prepared for the capacity of the engine to vastly outshine that of the brakes and the chassis !!

+1 The only bike I've ever owned that scared me, I've managed to scare myself a few times.
Part-ex for a 500 Honda for the simple reason i might live a bit longer

Well my first attempts did not go too well, after two kicks my knee cried “enough you old fool” and demanded paracetamol.
The H2 was part of my late brother-in-laws collection of Kawasaki 2 strokes. He initially had a KR1S, KH400, H1B and this H2.
Owing to the running costs he subsequently replaced the 250, 400, and 500 with a ZX6R, ZX7R, ZX9R and a ZZR600 to go with his ZZR1100C1 which he’d had since new only keeping the H2.
If it transpires that I find the H2 a too painful problem I may look at replacing it with a 900RS in order to keep his Kawasaki legacy going, only time will tell.

Right, here’s what to do.

I’m assuming it’s been standing a while so drain the fuel and use compressed air to blow through the carbs via the fuel lines.

Heat the garage overnight so the bike is in a nice warm garage.

Take the plugs out and throw them away, put some fresh fuel in and kick it over about 20 times.

Check that the new plugs are sparking properly.

Give each cylinder a quick squirt of easy start and quickly put the plugs in.

Spray a liberal amount of easy start into the air filter.

Push the choke lever over to the right and give it a firm prod.

It should start second or third kick :D

If you’re sitting stationary with the engine running be a bit sympathetic and remember that the middle cylinder will warm up faster than the outer ones.

It works every time with mine but if you’re having problems ask nicely and I’ll post you down a factory service manual but I’ll want it back eventually.

You might need to give those air filters a good clean out. I’d probably pop the jets out and see if they’ve been changed from standard to suit the expansions and air filters then start thinking about putting a standard air box on it.

Give this bloke a call as well, he’s shit hot on triples.

https://kawasakitripleparts.com/?v=79cba1185463

Andy.....did you finally sell yours?

Kimbo

No, it’s still hanging around like a nasty blue cloud of pollution but I never put it on eBay or Autotrader. It might go next year if I finally decide to get my act together and try to sell it.

Thanks for the advice and info Andy, greatly appreciated.
I can certainly do most of what you advice, but taking jets out, :eek: not a bloody clue, being a complete mechanical numpty.
The worse thing is simply the physical effort of kick starting her is proving so dammed painful to the knee joint.
As we’re busy sorting out his estate I think I’ll leave it till next spring and then have a serious attempt at getting her singing again.
One of my most abiding memories of my brother-in-law was the wonderful sound during his regular visits to the cottage last year aboard the H2, simply stunning.

I can get a manual in the post to you to give you some Xmas reading material.

It’s unfortunate really because only two years ago I lived just outside Kimbolton so about 30 minute away and would have dropped it off for you but the post will have to suffice if you need it.

This is why I love this forum. Nothing to do with BMW, just a genuine desire of one bike to help another. I really hope you you can keep the H2 and get it sorted, just sorry I can’t help, only encourage.

I can get a manual in the post to you to give you some Xmas reading material.

It’s unfortunate really because only two years ago I lived just outside Kimbolton so about 30 minute away and would have dropped it off for you but the post will have to suffice if you need it.

Andy, many thanks for your kind offer of some meaty Christmas reading, much appreciated. I’ll pm you my address and I’ll get it back to you ASAP.
We still have a lot of my brother-in-law’s personal stuff to go through so I wouldn’t be surprised if there is something along the lines of a manual amongst them.
Once again, many thanks. :thumb2

Andy, many thanks for your kind offer of some meaty Christmas reading, much appreciated. I’ll pm you my address and I’ll get it back to you ASAP.
We still have a lot of my brother-in-law’s personal stuff to go through so I wouldn’t be surprised if there is something along the lines of a manual amongst them.
Once again, many thanks. :thumb2

I’ve got a couple of books I can post down to you but they’re in a filing cabinet in my workshop so it might be a day or two before I pick them up but fear not, they’ll reach you eventually.

..... just sorry I can’t help, only encourage.

I'm GUESSING that what you're saying is.......I wish that I lived near to you and had a free morning. I would turn up with a set of new plugs, a gallon of fresh fuel, a can of 'easy start' possibly a battery and a few tools. Leave me alone for a couple of hours and I would be gobsmacked if I didn't have it running - That's what I'm thinking too, I'm itching to have a go at it :D

No payment required, just let me give it a rip up the road to blow out the 'spannies'....:aidan

I'm GUESSING that what you're saying is.......I wish that I lived near to you and had a free morning. I would turn up with a set of new plugs, a gallon of fresh fuel, a can of 'easy start' possibly a battery and a few tools. Leave me alone for a couple of hours and I would be gobsmacked if I didn't have it running - That's what I'm thinking too, I'm itching to have a go at it :D

No payment required, just let me give it a rip up the road to blow out the 'spannies'....:aidan

If my mechanical numptiness and arthritic knee win over then I just may take you up on that offer Jonnie.

My knees are in better fettle than my mechanical abilities, though that’s not saying much. I do have a nice lump hammer and plenty of duct tape and cable ties. :rob

Back
Top Bottom