Yamaha R1 crank

I didn’t say it wasn’t a V, what I said was that your if your logic about an R1 engine not being an inline 4 because it sits across the frame is correct then a V with a cylinder in the horizontal plane must be an L.

By the way, its still an inline engine whatever way it’s mounted.

I don't know why I'm bothering to reply, even though I'm getting paid to do so, but you're incorrect.

It's not "Still an inline engine whatever way it's mounted" because as I said in my initial post that DESPITE THE CYLINDERS BEING IN LINE WITH EACH OTHER, that engine is incorrectly referred to as an inline engine because the cylinder orientation against the frame makes it TRANSVERSE.
Even if the engine cases are in line with the frame, if the cylinders lie across or either side, it's transverse.

Turn your journo hip speak "L twin" around a few degrees and it's no longer an L, is it, but it's always a 90 degree V.
A longitudinal 90 degree vee at that.

Like I said, it's not just coming from me, that's how it is.

I-4 and L twin is just fairly recent journalistic and blog type trendy speak.

I don't know why I'm bothering to reply, even though I'm getting paid to do so, but you're incorrect.

It's not "Still an inline engine whatever way it's mounted" because as I said in my initial post that DESPITE THE CYLINDERS BEING IN LINE WITH EACH OTHER, that engine is incorrectly referred to as an inline engine because the cylinder orientation against the frame makes it TRANSVERSE.
Even if the engine cases are in line with the frame, if the cylinders lie across or either side, it's transverse.

Turn your journo hip speak "L twin" around a few degrees and it's no longer an L, is it, but it's always a 90 degree V.
A longitudinal 90 degree vee at that.

Like I said, it's not just coming from me, that's how it is.

I-4 and L twin is just fairly recent journalistic and blog type trendy speak.

I don’t know why I’m bothered really but its the engine thats inline and not the way its mounted, it is common to mount a 4 cyl inline engine transversely in a motorcycle.

There’s no hip journo speak from me - I know the Ducati engine is a V, I was merely pointing out that if your logic about a transverse inline engine was correct (it’s not) then a V mounted with one cyl in the horizontal plane would be an L engine (it isn’t)

Inline 4 isn’t recent journo speak, thats been common terminology for donkeys years, ask yourself what would you call it if it was in a crate in the floor?

...ask yourself what would you call it if it was in a crate in the floor?
To be honest I've always used the term 'in line' to reference the configuration of the cylinders.

For placement in the vehicle the terms fore/aft (or longitudinal) or transverse.

Whilst the Ford Kent engine was usually mounted fore/aft, they also used it in the Fiesta with transverse mounting. It's still an in-line four...

To be honest I've always used the term 'in line' to reference the configuration of the cylinders.

For placement in the vehicle the terms fore/aft (or longitudinal) or transverse.

Whilst the Ford Kent engine was usually mounted fore/aft, they also used it in the Fiesta with transverse mounting. It's still an in-line four...

This is correct

An inline four or straight four has four cylinders in line on a common crankshaft, it can be mounted longitudinally or transversely, often called across the frame in motorcycles, but it remains an inline four

The same is true of V4, V6 and V8 engines, all of which I’ve seen mounted both ways

I take it that's a very poor snipe at me, but you're wrong, as it's a 180 degree horizontally opposed twin.

Oh dear! Someone got his frilly knickers in a twist didn’t they? No, I didn’t have a snipe at you, poor or otherwise. My comment about the BMW Boxer motor being a wide angle Vee twin was made with my tongue firmly in my cheek, so take a chill pill matey. I actually agree with your comments and observations that you made, but I’m not sure I like you any more :mcgun:upyou

Who knew?

Me....and admittedly lots of others.

GUESSING that's why it doesn't sound anything like a 'normal' inline (?) four cylinder engine?

I remember when it was introduced and I tried explaining it to a mate. I can't explain it to myself now...:D

Oh dear! Someone got his frilly knickers in a twist didn’t they? No, I didn’t have a snipe at you, poor or otherwise. My comment about the BMW Boxer motor being a wide angle Vee twin was made with my tongue firmly in my cheek, so take a chill pill matey. I actually agree with your comments and observations that you made, but I’m not sure I like you any more :mcgun:upyou

Don't get "cranky" with me.... Giz a kiss. :D :thumb

Back
Top Bottom