F650GS Twin

OldCroc

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I have a 650 twin - 2008 - which has not done many miles. Went to start up a few mornings ago and none of the clocks or dash lit up. Everything other than this works. After riding for about 10 mins the clocks lit up and went through the check routine then all was fine. Last night I removed the clocks and checked the connections, fiddled with them and all was well. No faults on MotoScan. However, switching on this am all is again dead.
I will try and find the other end of the cable to the clocks this weekend and check for any poor connection but other than that does anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance ......

Could be battery or an earth/neg connection, but this being a 2008 I'm thinking it might be within the ignition switch itself.

Many owners had failures, usually caused by H2O ingress & corrosion, as some switch seals leaked. Pressure washing or leaving the bike standing out in the rain seems to exacerbate the issue. I'm guessing heat & vibes could be restoring continuity, once riding.

I can only suggest getting in there with a multi-meter when the dash won't light. Maybe talk to you local dealer/indy.

My 08 F650 had a clock sweep to advise of a failing battery. On ignition the clocks would sweep, than after about 5 secs they would sweep again. I know your clocks are dead but as others have suggested look at the battery / terminals first.

I had a battery lead vibrate loose on my f650 too.

Thanks for the tips. The bike was on a battery tender this morning when I switched on and clocks were dead. You can her something working under the covers on the front which I guess is the fuel pump. Everything else works ie lights indicators etc. I will get stuck in again tomorrow and hopefully track the faulty down. Cheers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Think the fuel pump is down under the seat, maybe under that big rubber do nut , could be relay you are hearing. Definitely check the poles on the battery though, even though these bikes dont vibrate that much mine came loose.

Another one here who experienced battery terminals vibrating loose. Especially with a MotoBatt battery.
Don’t rely on checking with your fingers. Use a spanner as even the slightest loosening can stop everything.

Update: All connections tested and re-tightened and no change - ie the instrument cluster comes on when it wants to. BUT - I have sussed that when the temperature in the garage is under 5deg C - no work. As soon as the temp picks up all works as it should with the exception of the clock which has always been an issue. I understand that the solution is a new capacitor on the PCB in the instrument cluster and all is documented on the link below. Some have documented exactly the same issues as mine so I will be sourcing a capacitor and having a go at some point. In the meantime I keep the clocks covered by a fleece cloth which keeps them warm enough to fire up on switching on. (Except that I forgot to cover them last night and this morning they would not work until I put a heater on in the garage for a while :blast)

https://www.advrider.com/f/threads/f800gs-instrument-cluster.1060506/

Update: I removed the pcb from the instrument panel but bottled doing any repairs myself do to the board to a tv repair shop. As it happens these were two capacitors and on testing one was fecked and the other was ’leaking’. Both changed and I have now re-installed everything and so far all appears to be working as it should.

Update: I removed the pcb from the instrument panel but bottled doing any repairs myself do to the board to a tv repair shop. As it happens these were two capacitors and on testing one was fecked and the other was ’leaking’. Both changed and I have now re-installed everything and so far all appears to be working as it should.

Great result. :thumb Will be a handy thread for other owners.

Back
Top Bottom