Canbus and Sat Nav?

Orbit

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I have acquired the relevant accessory plug that plugs into the loom to allow power to the Sat Nav. Tomtom 410.

Powers up perfectly now however doesn't turn off with canbus??

I have to disconnect the lead to stop it drawing power. If I take the sat Nav is off the mount it still draws power so I have to disconnect the lead.

Is this because it's a Tom Tom and not a Garmin or BMW Navigator??

Bike is a K1300GT

Shouldn't make a difference. I fitted an XT to mine and it switchers off (obviously a garmin though). Why not put a meter on the cable you plugged into the bike and see if the power cuts when the canbus switches off? That will tell you if it's the bike or the Tom Tom that isn't shutting down. Other test, run the tom tom cable to a 12 v source and see if it closes down when you remove the power.

My other thought was.... Is the bike detecting the tomtoms internal battery is low/flat and keeping it open?

Stupid question but how long are you leaving it before checking the current draw? My Zumo XT stays on for a minute before powering off.

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

Stupid question but how long are you leaving it before checking the current draw? My Zumo XT stays on for a minute before powering off.

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

That is a very good question.

If I take the sat Nav is off the mount it still draws power so I have to disconnect the lead.

How do you know that the then presumably empty cradle is still drawing power?

If you are sure that it is, I’d start by probably cleaning up the male / female plug connection between the sat nav’s cradle lead and the bike’s loom, to see if that improved matters.

How do you know that the then presumably empty cradle is still drawing power?

I know nothing of electrics..

I have waited 5mins and it's still on.

I have a screw driver type tool with a bulb in it and a wire with a crocodile clip on it. When I probe the mount it illustrates the bulb.

Clean up the connections.

The system possibly ‘sees’ your illuminating bulb as an item that has to be kept powered. But that is just a guess.

Do you have the bike connected to a battery tender? These can (if not connected directly to the battery) sometimes trick or confuse the bike’s electronics into staying live.

There is also some anecdotal evidence of some cradles staying live, with the ignition off. That being said, bods have so many inventive ways of wiring ‘stuff’ into or onto their bikes, it’s all but impossible to say why it might be happening.

Right, I went back out and connected cradle back up and placed sat Nav in cradle. No power. Turned ignition on and it powers up which is good. Turned ignition off and waited. And waited....

After 15 mins it powered down. Seems a long time but happy if goes off.

Optimate is connected direct to battery.

Maybe they altered the period of time it takes to shut down?? Its a 2009? Who knows? It turns itself off which is what's important.

Thanks for the help

As mentioned, it should only remain live for around a minute after switching off the bike.

Sounds like a previous owner has had the delay period adjusted - there is always an attraction to this when touring, but it's a double edged sword. Dealer or GS911 needed, if it concerns you.

Its booked in for a service 4th Jan at Wollastons so I'll mention it and see if they can reduce the time. :beerjug:

Is it as simple as your sat nav has been set to stay powered (ie not go into sleep mode) for longer than is normal?

Is it as simple as your sat nav has been set to stay powered (ie not go into sleep mode) for longer than is normal?

I will check but I haven't changed anything. 15 mins powered off. At the end of the day it turns off so that good.

Solved I think

I think I've solved this problem.

When I mounted the Sat Nav to the bike the bike was in the garage connected to an Optimate directly to the battery.

I didn't disconnect the Optimate when I turned the bike on and off to ensure the mount was working.

The mount was remaining live as the bike was still connected to the Optimate despite been wired directly.

Disconnected the Optimate from its plug and the sat Nav powers down with the Canbus.

Plug the Optimate in after it's powered down and it stays powered down which is good.

You can ‘switch’ some Optimates so that they avoid this problem.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/QbpFq2Z9IHM" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Though it’s maybe odd that you saw what you did when, your Optimate was wired directly to the battery, as that way it should make no difference.

I think I've solved this problem.

When I mounted the Sat Nav to the bike the bike was in the garage connected to an Optimate directly to the battery.

I didn't disconnect the Optimate when I turned the bike on and off to ensure the mount was working.

The mount was remaining live as the bike was still connected to the Optimate despite been wired directly.

Disconnected the Optimate from its plug and the sat Nav powers down with the Canbus.

Plug the Optimate in after it's powered down and it stays powered down which is good.

I now when I plug mine into BMW charger it powers on somethings - The USB plug goes live as my quad lock wireless charger light illuminates as my camera turns on

Back
Top Bottom