Better Light Recommendations?

richardbd

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
My 850GS is fitted with OEM auxiliary/driving lights.

I rode it from Cape Town to Nairobi recently and discovered two things:

1. Heavily corrugated Namibian gravel roads kill OEM auxiliary lights.
2. When driving in the Malawian darkness, the OEM auxiliary lights are useless.

The OEM lights are ok for being seen but crap for helping the rider see better.

I'm taking the same bike to South America next year and want to get some better seeing-with lights.

Who recommends what - and why?

LED lights will last better and use a lot less power. :thumb2

LED lights will last better and use a lot less power. :thumb2

The OEM lights ARE led :blast

The point is that they’re crap. I’ve had them on a 1200RT, a 1200GS, a 1250GS and my 850. I’ve yet to have a single set last as long as I’ve owned the bike. They’re fine if all you do is pop to Waitrose in the sunshine but as soon as they encounter rain or bumps they fail. And even when they’re working they don’t add anything to what you can see.

Hence the original question…

D4 are plenty imho, add to low beam when used for dipped beam. D7 might be better full beam, but can’t really use on dipped as they are a bit too much imho.

D3 spot might give better distance than the D4, but from my research, the spread is not as good as the D4. It’s a personal choice but D3 spot or D4 are the only decent option.

D4 are plenty imho, add to low beam when used for dipped beam. D7 might be better full beam, but can’t really use on dipped as they are a bit too much imho.

D3 spot might give better distance than the D4, but from my research, the spread is not as good as the D4. It’s a personal choice but D3 spot or D4 are the only decent option.

Coming to the same conclusion - or maybe keep OEM for being seen and add D7 for seeing

Cheers.

I did the armchair version of Nairobi to Cape Town - Globebusters. Itinerary on their website...
https://www.globebusters.com/motorcycle-tours/southern-africa-motorcycle-tour-2/

Richard, Thanks for that - I covered a good chunk of the route by bus/truck/train (steam!) back in early 1987 and at that time, the experience stimulated my interest in having a return visit, by motorcycle. Much has changed over the passage of time but the challenge remains!
Cheers,
Paul

I agree. I have D3 on my Guzzi. I bought chinesium tat first but filled with condensation then broke. D4 on my GS
. If I were buying again I would just go D3, a bit cheaper, but less bulky on the bike. I can't tell that much different in performance...

D3 spot or hybrid?

Sorry - my fault.

I meant to say S4 on my Guzzi and D4 on my GS.

S4's look better IMO because they are less conspicuous being smaller.. Because they are on different bikes I never tested them "back to back" but they're both very good.

I use the S4 with a Skene controller on the Guzzi, so I can sun them at 30% with DRL or dip beam, and they come on 100% with full beam (so I don't dazzle). The D4 are on a EZCAN so they run low intensity on DRL/Dip beam too

I'm sure the S4 will more than out-perform the BMW standard issue ;)

Only think with Denali is, they are SO bright, you can't really use the "to be seen" without a dimmer. On 100% they are blinding. On 30% (being used as Daytime Running Lights) I've had complaints! I have my S4 and D4 on 30% unless on full beam....

Back
Top Bottom